Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:06 PM

249 posts, read 492,196 times

Advertisements

I moved out at the end of June, got a job within 3 weeks, 25% higher pay than the east coast.. (though I did have a good interview with them at the start of June, I had no official offer)

So far so good, and with the lack of income tax plus lower rent, I'm banking about $3.5k per month for a house when my lease is up..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 09:13 PM

27 posts, read 35,454 times
Hi, can you tell me how you found this position, what industry are you in and how did you score an interview? I appreciate your help

Old 12-17-2011, 10:05 PM

49 posts, read 101,208 times
AAS ran an article in the past week or so, apparently software developers (with the right skillset) are in great demand right now. Companies are either trying to lure people from Silicon Valley or the NE to get talent here, or poaching from other local tech companies.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:09 PM

27 posts, read 35,454 times
Does anyone know anyone in local new home builder companies? I'd like to talk to you please. It'll take one person helping another one out ... Any ideas in this arena will be very helpful. We don't know a soul in Austin and its pretty disheartening ... Thank you very much!

Old 12-22-2011, 08:01 AM

355 posts, read 1,230,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
I've been applying for jobs for a few weeks now and not getting much response - even with my friend's Austin address. Wondering how long it'll realistically take me to get a job.

So how long did it take you to find a job in Austin? Did you find it easier once you moved to Austin?

TIA
I no longer reside in Austin, but i still have family there and visit from time to time. When I was staying there, it was going on a year and I STILL couldn't find a job...I had to start my own business, so it all didn't turn out bad.

The reality is, it all depends on what field you are trying to get into. Despite what you have heard in the news, Austin has suffered from the recession as well. If you look for anything in healthcare, you should be okay (caregiver, CNA, nurse, dental assistant). There are also tons of jobs in nursing homes/group homes.....they don't pay much...maybe $10/hr, but a lot of recent college grads are getting paid the same

If you have an education, your best bet is to go technical. They have many computer/tech jobs in Austin. If I were you, I would take your trade/skill and work as a freelancer (market your services online).

Just use free classified ad sites to type up your skills to find temporary/long-term employers. It doesn't hurt to use job sites to upload your resume.

resumes.com
Resume Storage, Sample Resumes, and Free Resume Templates
Hirefire USA: Post resume, Find jobs, Upload resume and Post job services. Upload resume online. Post resume online. Free Job posting. Find out more about post resume and post jobs facilities in Hirefire, USA.

^^These are just a few sites you can use, but there are literally hundreds of free resume hosting sites you can use. To be honest, your chances of finding a job is better using this method than applying to online job ads. Many of the times, these "jobs" are posted by recruiters. Their job is to get the person with the PH.D. to work as a receptionist.

Craigslist is also okay if you don't mind low-paying jobs and know how to sift through the scams. Good luck to you

Old 12-22-2011, 10:15 PM

231 posts, read 814,053 times
to the OP or anyone else in the same situation

I moved to Texas without a job, I got a job in less than a month but I targeted the position in question for months before moving to Texas. Everything I did was well planned out with a plan B and plan C just in case things didnt go as expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: