Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:13 PM

13 posts, read 39,101 times

Advertisements

Hi, and thanks in advance for your help.

I grew up in Dallas, but have been living in Seattle for many years. I'm thinking about moving to Austin, as I've grown very accustomed to the West Coast "feel" (as I've heard is prevalent in Austin), but not the West Coast prices. I've done some research, and it appears that the three best school districts in Austin are: Eanes, Austin & Lake Travis. If this is incorrect, I'd love feedback.

I'd also love feedback on the best and most repuatable local builders. I'm probably going to want new construction, but we'll see. I stumbled onto the Taylor Morrison site. I'd love feedback on this builder, as well as others.

I have a family, so schools are important, as is the neighborhood that we live in. We want to be in a nice area (I've heard I should look into Westlake...that might be too pricey for us, but it's definitely along the lines of what we're looking for). Centralized proximity is important as well (but as far as I can tell, the school districts that I've mentioned will offer that centralized proximity).

Also, my husband is in the video game industry. If you have any information on local companies, that would also be appreciated.

Any good information I can get from locals on schools, neighborhoods, builders...the works...would be much appreciated. Thanks again!! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 07:35 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,221 times
You have a lot of choices. What's your price range?

Also, have you checked out property taxes???? $$$$

Old 05-29-2008, 07:48 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
I think you forgot Leander ISD and Round Rock ISD in the Austin area also. Everyone I know of loves those two ISDs and some others have some not so nice things to say about Austin ISD. If you include Leander ISD and RR ISD it widens your home search also. Lakeway is Lake Travis ISD and I know my sil is happy with that for one son but the other goes to private. Good luck send me a DM if I can be of some more help.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:03 PM

13 posts, read 39,101 times
Probably up to $450K or so. And yeah, I'm unfortunately aware of how high property taxes are in Texas. It's the number one reason why values don't really go anywhere there.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:06 PM

55 posts, read 337,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmom217 View Post
Also, my husband is in the video game industry. If you have any information on local companies, that would also be appreciated.
I know that NC Soft has a studio out here and there is also Bioware and Edge of Reality. I'm a gamer-wife so my husband would know better than I, but I'm sure your husband knows about Gamasutra to start the job-hunt.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:52 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
I just did the reverse move (Austin to Seattle) last summer. We lived in Austin for 10 of the last 12 years prior to moving. Most of our time was spent in Circle C Ranch in southwest Austin and we could not say enough good things about our time there. Incredibly family oriented and great amenities with good proximity to downtown (12 miles), Hill Country and Lake Travis. The closest thing I know of to compare Circle C to would be like Timberline/Sahalee/Redmond Ridge in Sammamish/Redmond or Trossachs in Sammamish. A bit like Klahanie in the older parts. Also like Snoqualmie Ridge...just not nearly so far from downtown Austin. Kiker Elementary is an excellent school in Circle C as is Clayton (only 2 years old). Go to greatschools.net and you can find out about the other schools in Austin that are rated 10's (they are many of the Eanes schools and several in AISD). Travis Country, Lake Pointe, Lakeway are also neat areas...I am trying to give you more scenic areas as I know we get spoiled in Seattle with the scenery. You could find something really nice for $300K or even under that. Certainly if you can afford Central Austin, it's great but cost prohibitive even coming from the PNW. You'd want to stick to Tarrytown or Westlake for purposes of public schools. Avery Ranch is nice too but not anywhere near downtown.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:59 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
You could probably do something in Westlake for 450K though it might be a fixer upper or smaller than you'd like. Not sure how many lots are left to build on there. Lots of new neighborhoods going in out by the lake in Lakeway so you could probably build out there. Flintrock Falls is beautiful! Sounds like fun! Austin is a great town - very different from Seattle as you know weather-wise but they have a similar vibe IMO.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 PM

3 posts, read 7,148 times
Hello,
I read your post and have some advice on places to look into. As far as location, there is a brand new home division starting up off of Southwest Parkway. It is called Lantana. This is in Eanes ISD, 10 minutes (w/out traffic) to Zilker Park, a very short drive from Lake Travis, and has beautiful views. One of the builders in this neighborhood that has been recommended by one of my good friends is Newmark Homes, but Plantation Homes and Meritage also build there. Their website should have more info on this. Also, there is a new development in Central Austin called Mueller. This is a great location, and I think it might be a part of Austin ISD.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-30-2008 at 08:02 AM..

Old 07-29-2008, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,029 times
Agree with some of the other comments. Eanes, Lake Travis, Round Rock(west of I-35), and Leander ISD's are are at the top. Prices for homes will be better up in Round Rock and Leander than in Eanes/Lake Travis ISD's. Some builders to consider are Drees and Newmark. Also Steiner Ranch out in Lake Travis would work. The commute to downtown though can be rough depending on traffic.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:09 AM

786 posts, read 2,762,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpfulhand View Post
Hello,
I read your post and have some advice on places to look into. As far as location, there is a brand new home division starting up off of Southwest Parkway. It is called Lantana. This is in Eanes ISD, 10 minutes (w/out traffic) to Zilker Park, a very short drive from Lake Travis, and has beautiful views. One of the builders in this neighborhood that has been recommended by one of my good friends is Newmark Homes, but Plantation Homes and Meritage also build there. Their website should have more info on this. Also, there is a new development in Central Austin called Mueller. This is a great location, and I think it might be a part of Austin ISD.
I would double check on the ISD for Lantana. If you are referring to the Ridge at Lantana off Rialto Road & William Cannon, when I checked that area out it was Austin ISD, not Eanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin