Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 11:49 AM

3 posts, read 18,999 times

Advertisements

Thank you all so much for taking time to write your opinion. Those are real people talking about real experiences. We are currently living in Kansas City but have lived here for 22 years old. We are so reluntant to move elsewhere due to the kids who are 12yrs old and 9 yrs old. Both cities(Austin and Tucson) have great opportunities for me to do postdoc in medical field. After reading some comments and suggestion between these two cities, we are leaning toward to Austin because of its school systems and outdoor activities. Besides, we love lakes and greenspace which Austin is abundant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 07:44 PM

433 posts, read 460,001 times
I lived south of Tucson (Sierra Vista) for ~30 years and retired to Hill Country ~60 Miles west of Austin.

My perspective;
State tax in AZ, (MUCH!) higher property tax in Texas, can be a wash depending on your income level.
Mt Lemon is great, Hiking can't be beat, lots of public land (AZ). Highland lakes west of Austin Rule, many places to go in the area.
As mentioned here, Austin has a downtown where you can actually walk- not so in Tucson. Plan on Driving everywhere you need to go in Tucson.
Water is an issue in both- Tucson may be better able to regulate use. IMO people in Austin care more.
Very strong hispanic influence in Tucson- too much for many. Crime levels are probably equal- Tucson has more cross border issues though.
You can get away from the urban issues easily in Austin; many small communities and secondary roads. No so in Tucson, miles and miles of miles and miles with a very limited number of access roads.
Housing in the immediate area is lower cost than Tucson- but bear in mind the tax rates are WAY higher. I pay 2X on a equivalent value house.
IMO Schools in Austin are superior to those in Tucson- that may be a bias though.
All said and done- I loved Arizona and the Mountains. Worry about water and cross border issues drove me away. And I love Texas and the lakes region.

Good Luck whichever you choose.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:03 PM

7 posts, read 17,160 times
I have experienced both and I would choose Tucson. Austin does have an interesting downtown scene but Tucson has a great nightlife as well. It's more spread out on 4th avenue through the university area. I enjoyed the lakes in the Austin area as well whereas you have to work a little more for that in the Tucson area. Tucson is simply more beautiful in my personal opinion. Walk out of either airport and Tucson passes the eye test more. Giant gorgeous Saguaros and mountains. Tucson has more retired folks and pretty much zero crime in the northern and eastern parts of town. Also I was never impressed by the traffic situation in Austin. Whoever designed the interstate system was a moron. Traffic all the time in Austin. The Mopac and 183 are just bogged down. Tucson by no means has an amazing system but is on a grid and spread out so you can get to downtown or the university area in about 20 minutes from anywhere. Also Tucson is a retirement paradise with inexpensive public golf about a five minute drive from anywhere in town. I personally like the area around Golf Links and Harrison. You can get to Fred Enke golf course in about 5 minutes and it's nice and quiet. About a 5 minute drive to Saguaro National Park. The Foothills area is wonderful as well but taxes are higher up in those parts. Gorgeous though!!! Also the food in Tucson is hands down much better than Austin. Tucson is a melting pot with incredibly authentic Thai (Chars and China-Thai, Chinese (Guillen sp), Mexican (Guadelajara, El Charro, Cafe Poca Cosa, El Guero Canelo, and La Parilla Suiza's Mole! (better than Mexico I swear), Ethiopian (Zemams), Japanese (Unlimited affordable sushi joints), Syrian (Zayna), Greek (Athens on 4th among others), Italian (Caruso's etc...), Vietnamese (Ha Long Bay among others), Malaysian (Neo of Melaka), and oh don't forget the incredible American food! Hit Zinburger for the best burger you'll ever have. You can be in the mountains camping within 20 minutes of town in incredible locations. I like Austin but seriously, if you like gorgeous natural surrounding, good food, lower taxes, good golf, close proximity to Mexico and San diego beaches, and so on Tucson wins hands down in my opinion. Oh yeah the Monsoon lightning storms are incredibly gorgeous as well.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:15 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
This thread is over 3 years old. I imagine that the OP took one of the jobs, and is long since in one place or the other.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:38 PM

5 posts, read 9,817 times
It would be nice if the OP came back online and updated the group on the decision that was finally made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: