Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,022 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to Austin from WI and want to know what the good dance schools are. My daughter is 6 and currently does ballet and Irish. We would likely be living on the west side of Austin (Dripping Springs/Hill Country, etc.) and finding something reputable in that area would be great. I would rather not deal with driving into Austin proper several times a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 06:15 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Check the website for the Society of Creative Anacronism. It lists every Irish/Scottish Group in Austin and surrounding area.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:51 PM

485 posts, read 1,959,463 times
Dripping Springs is kind of far from any (there are only one or two) serious dance companies in Austin. You will probably be limited to driving to Austin for dance if your daughter is very serious about it. I don't know DS, but I am sure there is a studio/instruction closer to you for ballet, just don't know at what level and would assume that it's a garden-variety community dance studio.

Ballet Austin is probably the most well-known and experienced and they perform major ballets on the big stages. Joyce Willett has classes in different places all over town and I know her group has trained some young dancers who have become professional, though I think they are more contemporary or Broadway type dancers.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:28 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I'll agree with that. Most of the dance studios outside of Austin are just your basic ballet,tap, jazz, tumbling type places. You do have to travel downtown to get very serious training if you plan on making a career of it. I've actually thought about putting my daughter into something if she keeps up this love affair with dance and this will cause me to have a commute. It will be the same for dripping springs.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:55 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
My wife takes various dance classes at Ballet Austin downtown. Great place. They really offer a nice mix of levels, styles(ballet, modern etc...) and age groups...and the classes are usually taught by pros.

Ballet Austin :: The Academy

As far as folk dancing goes, try these links for some info:

Irish Dance Center
Austin International Folk Dancers
AUSTIN CELTIC ASSOCIATION: Celtic Music, Dance, Culture, Festival

Old 08-23-2008, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 11,684 times
Smile Dance Classes

Hi!
I own a dance studio in Dripping Springs, Texas. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about dance in and around Dripping.
Good Luck with your search!
Anne - Head to Toe Dance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin