Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 12:39 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'll make it more positive. I'll do the 10 worst and the 10 best, all in one place
Worst:
1)Traffic
2)Unfriendly/Closed minded out of towners living here because it's 'cheap' (not from anywhere specific)
3)Paving over of open spaces/cutting down of trees
4)Too many big box stores
5)Stretching here....Not enough kid festivals/outdoor organized activities
6)New wave of consumerism/materialism
7)Overly 'adult' activities at the lake (you know what I mean....)
8)McMansions
9)We get one really hard freeze that kills everything
10)I 35

Now for the best....
1)A 5k every weekend (just about!)
2)Gorgeous sunny days
3)Town Lake
4)Whole Foods Flagship store
5)Central Austin (bounded by 183-360-35-Town Lake)
6)City Wide Garage Sale
7)UT 40 acres (forgot this one originally...my alma mater...oops_
8)BookPeople
9)the Lake, especially when everyone has their clothes on
10)Remembering how it used to be.....

Last edited by mimimomx3; 06-18-2008 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: ooopsss...too many good things to list...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 12:58 PM

746 posts, read 3,727,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Ok, I'll make it more positive. I'll do the 10 worst and the 10 best, all in one place
Worst:
1)Traffic
2)Unfriendly/Closed minded out of towners living here because it's 'cheap' (not from anywhere specific)
3)Paving over of open spaces/cutting down of trees
4)Too many big box stores
5)Stretching here....Not enough kid festivals/outdoor organized activities
6)New wave of consumerism/materialism
7)Overly 'adult' activities at the lake (you know what I mean....)
8)McMansions
9)We get one really hard freeze that kills everything
10)I 35

Now for the best....
1)A 5k every weekend (just about!)
2)Gorgeous sunny days
3)Town Lake
4)Whole Foods Flagship store
5)Central Austin (bounded by 183-360-35-Town Lake)
6)City Wide Garage Sale
7)UT 40 acres (forgot this one originally...my alma mater...oops_
8)BookPeople
9)the Lake, especially when everyone has their clothes on
10)Remembering how it used to be.....
I'll make it more positive, and say that that central austin boundary is the finest 15 sq. miles in the USA.....I truly could live within those boundaries
for eternity........and look at what you put in it...you have everything but lake travis and austin in it.......yeah, central austin is really awesome.....
From say UT south to Ruta Maya's on congress, west to lamar, and east to the edge of travis heights.....great acrage....and book people is one of the countries best bookstores.........but i like travis with clothes and tops down(sorry, I'm a guy, and not going to apologize)!

Old 06-18-2008, 01:17 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Yea,

Central Austin is really great. A lot of little nooks and crannies.

I find it annoying that there have been twice the replies on this thread(you say a joke, but most will take it as negative), than the one about the "most beautiful spots in Austin". Everyone complains about the negativity of many of the threads around here...well, there was an opportunity to be positive.

Lame. And lazy.

Oh, and mimimomx3, did you say Austin was a cheap place to live???? Maybe if you sold out of a pricey region(you must have been alluding to folks from the West Coast?), but for the rest of us, no it isn't cheap at all. In fact, I'm finding a very binary housing choice here: live in the Central core but rent indefinitely, or move out into some area that looks like anywhere else in the country, minus the Texas limestone touch...no thanks.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:23 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I actually got that this thread was lighthearted. I wasn't trying to be a grump. Sorry if it came across this way. That's why in some of my replies I stated that I was laughing...

Old 06-18-2008, 01:27 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I actually got that this thread was lighthearted. I wasn't trying to be a grump. Sorry if it came across this way. That's why in some of my replies I stated that I was laughing...
I'm not picking on anyone, it just seems that these threads always turn that way...

I do have a sense of humor BTW

Old 06-18-2008, 01:41 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Sorry I kind of meant that for scongress because he pasted my comment and then said "Again, I meant this as...."

I like your sense of humor, btw

Old 06-18-2008, 02:29 PM

Default Ya'll need a few giggles and snorts...almost spelled snots, oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Yea,

I find it annoying that there have been twice the replies on this thread(you say a joke, but most will take it as negative), than the one about the "most beautiful spots in Austin". Everyone complains about the negativity of many of the threads around here...well, there was an opportunity to be positive.

Lame. And lazy.

Oh, and mimimomx3, did you say Austin was a cheap place to live???? Maybe if you sold out of a pricey region(you must have been alluding to folks from the West Coast?), but for the rest of us, no it isn't cheap at all. In fact, I'm finding a very binary housing choice here: live in the Central core but rent indefinitely, or move out into some area that looks like anywhere else in the country, minus the Texas limestone touch...no thanks.
Don't let websites annoy you..we don't live in the "Matrix" just yet! LOL! I'm sure more will post after work tonight with their best vantage points in austin inputs......the only thing I find funny is how seriously the newer people take Austin on here.....the city really needs a good sense of humor...if we could laugh at the traffic, the stereotypical top 10 lists, the fatty food offerings, and the focus on UT, it really makes it more palatable.....nothing really serious about the city anyway, being its so laid back and mellow....just missing a saucy sense of humor, and I hope I can provide that.........

As they say, "Laugh Clown, Laugh!"
-Pallacci

Old 06-18-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Yea,

Lame. And lazy.

No, I don't think that Austin is a cheap place to live...for sure not...but that's the reason that I hear lots of people give who are moving here. Compared to DC/NY/CA areas, I suppose it is.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
Don't let websites annoy you..we don't live in the "Matrix" just yet! LOL! I'm sure more will post after work tonight with their best vantage points in austin inputs......the only thing I find funny is how seriously the newer people take Austin on here.....the city really needs a good sense of humor...if we could laugh at the traffic, the stereotypical top 10 lists, the fatty food offerings, and the focus on UT, it really makes it more palatable.....nothing really serious about the city anyway, being its so laid back and mellow....just missing a saucy sense of humor, and I hope I can provide that.........

As they say, "Laugh Clown, Laugh!"
-Pallacci
I take my blue pill every morning.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
No, I don't think that Austin is a cheap place to live...for sure not...but that's the reason that I hear lots of people give who are moving here. Compared to DC/NY/CA areas, I suppose it is.

Correct, cheap in a relative sense...a better word would be less expensive, with a comparison city in hand....certainly anyone from the
midwest or plains states would not find Austin cheap...almost none from the rest of Texas would, as it has the highest cost of living in the state.
Per the south, it would be more expensive than any southern city, except perhaps Atlanta........so, yes, MM, if you are coming from SOCO, the only place in the usa with 700K average home prices, its cheap.....anywhere else, short of the east coast magalopolis, and its the same, if not expensive....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin