Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 08:06 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
It is that mentality of the HOAs (and many people who live in the suburbs) that the lawn MUST BE GREEN that is absolutely ridiculous and wasteful. Central Texas is not a place where Bermuda or St. Augustine (especially) would ever survive naturally. Besides, I am much more worried about how much water we have than how my "grass farm" is doing.
I don't disagree with you - and am actually with you that HOA's generally have too much control over what someone does with their own property. This is my first experience living in such a tightly controlled, and mismanaged HOA but that's why I also said

Quote:
and yes, I know everyone has an HOA opinion and that's a totally other subject
Not everyone has the option to just up and move because they don't like the HOA. Some people (like me!) have never experienced this sort of craziness, and maybe didn't know what to expect, but also can't flit from home to home, neighborhood to neighborhood and just have to make it work, or try and fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 01:37 PM

124 posts, read 563,921 times
it occurred to me just last night that it would be wonderful if the city of Austin stepped in and made it so that all new homes and all HOA's had/allowed xeriscaping in the front (at the very least). They have the final say over the ripping out of trees and such, so is there a reason why they couldn't regulate this? I don't know the legalities, but it seems like a sensible idea. Of course, they'd have to grandfather in older homes/HOA's, but then if one wanted to rip out grass and get an HOA approved xeric yard then you could. That would save a lot of water and people feeling obliged to waste it making a green lawn pretty that needn't be.

Also, buffalo grass. Why do HOA's all want St. Augustine? I had buffalo grass put in the backyard in Steiner and it was great. Looked good all spring and then saved water during the summer and winter!

Old 06-28-2008, 02:23 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandib View Post
it occurred to me just last night that it would be wonderful if the city of Austin stepped in and made it so that all new homes and all HOA's had/allowed xeriscaping in the front (at the very least). They have the final say over the ripping out of trees and such, so is there a reason why they couldn't regulate this? I don't know the legalities, but it seems like a sensible idea. Of course, they'd have to grandfather in older homes/HOA's, but then if one wanted to rip out grass and get an HOA approved xeric yard then you could. That would save a lot of water and people feeling obliged to waste it making a green lawn pretty that needn't be.

Also, buffalo grass. Why do HOA's all want St. Augustine? I had buffalo grass put in the backyard in Steiner and it was great. Looked good all spring and then saved water during the summer and winter!
Don't get me wrong, I think Austin's a great place...but I think they're talking out of both sides of their mouth when it comes to being "green". You can't wear that badge just because of the reputation of a few well-known neighborhood associations or some wealthy developers and homeowners who build expensive modern houses. The "ground zero" type issues are what count. Things that affect most of the community: Water, waste, pedestrian infrastructure, public transit, parks etc...

The City of Austin should absolutely over-ride any HOAs mandate of green lawns and allow HOMEOWNERS to xeriscape. It's the responsible thing to do.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:18 AM

264 posts, read 1,094,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Those restrictions are for Austin city limits, or Travis county? I know Round Rock has "voluntary" restrictions.

Is it ever going to rain again? Yes.... but we are loving the heat and sun. Perfect summer weather.
Unfortunately RR seems to be much less strict with their water conservation programs!! I saw the restrictions for Austin and I like it. I like their incentives for better, smarter use of the resourse.

Here in Brushy Creek (un-incorporated RR), the situation is bad... I see people, sometimes the "city" itself watering the sidewalks, dirt, rocks, streets!!! in the middle of the day!!! How are you supposed to educate people if you cannot show them with your example?

Old 06-30-2008, 08:28 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I read that article in Sundays paper about John Dromgoole. He HATES St. Augustine grass (as do I). He says if you let it go dormant it does die, it has to have water. Like atxcio says, however, you can change that if you let it stay long, meaning don't cut it short. I just personally don't like St. Augustine grass. It's not good for the area and it isn't soft on the feet like drought tolerant grasses.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:34 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
We got two storms yesterday/last night! Yeah!

As for xeriscaping...in this area, it is not really the 'natural' landscape, so I am not so sure about forcing neighborhoods to allow it. I would think that some sort of natural grass, however, would do wonders for water use. I had a 'natural' lawn in the neighborhood I used to live in (not sure what kind of grass it was) and it needed water once or twice a summer to keep from dying. Yes, it was not lush St. Augustine, but it covered the dirt. It was some sort of buffalo grass or something, I am guessing, and it was a much thinner blade and lighter, paler green. I think that the city should require that low maintenance grass be allowed. Regarding the 'xeriscaping' - it can just add to the heat island effect and, to me, it looks so unnatural around here.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:53 AM

124 posts, read 576,130 times
2.5 inches in my rain gauge from yesterday. Anderson Mill/Lime Creek area

Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 AM

264 posts, read 1,094,481 times
I found this website (of the City of Austin) to have very good advice and information regarding the whole watering situation. WCTS - Rainfall Data

Old 06-30-2008, 11:20 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Here is the information on RR's Voluntary Water Wise program. I don't understand why it's voluntary. I know my HOA does not follow these guidelines, so I will be emailing them (or maybe the board members who follow these posts can take note).
City of Round Rock - Water Conservation

Old 06-30-2008, 11:29 AM

135 posts, read 736,159 times
I am in Round Rock and my husband and I follow the voluntary schedule that Round Rock has. Our yard is alive, but definitely not as green as our neighbors. On the other hand our bank account is much greener then our neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Here is the information on RR's Voluntary Water Wise program. I don't understand why it's voluntary. I know my HOA does not follow these guidelines, so I will be emailing them (or maybe the board members who follow these posts can take note).
City of Round Rock - Water Conservation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin