Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 01:07 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times

Advertisements

Yeah, there are lots of areas in TX with similar soil. It's all over the DFW area and Houston! In fact, some of the Houston skyscrapers are built on soil like that. Bottom line, it is the builders and shoddy practices.

Plenty of houses exist on such soil without a problem if they are built correctly. Drainage is important, but I believe the builders just use such incredibly cheap methods building the slabs that failure is more common. They aren't worried about things that could show up 5 years down the road, hence a proper slab is way down their prority list. The sad thing is, I suspect just a couple of hundred extra $$$ spent in the foundation phase could make the slab incredibly sturdy even in the worst conditions. But they don't even consider spending the money, although the future homeowner would gladly pay it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 01:14 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Amen to that! Yes, the soil in Houston will be similar. I haven't heard anyone I still know there complain about any problems yet. On your question of HOA's, there are still some open areas around or just outside of Katy that may be HOA free, but there are lots of planned communities around there that do have them. There are areas outside of Austin proper as well that are HOA free. Memorial area is also close by, but don't know if they are HOA neighborhoods out there.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:14 PM

13 posts, read 35,977 times
With respect to the Kyle area, am I looking at growing area with high speed internet and some flexibility on home based businesses(versus austin itself) or is it more remote than I give credit to?
Is it generally difficult to get a permit to have a home based business either in Austin or the surrounding area?(no customers or traffic at house. All work done either offsite or inside the house)

I'm used to NJ and its, well its insanity, so I hope my questions don't sound stupid, but I try not to assume anything out of respect for every area being different(in terms of capacity, restrictions etc)(currently I can run a business from my house without even an township approval, though for formality I did pay a fee to get one since decent warehouse space is upwards of 100k for 1000 sqft, unless you want to go into really rough area)
Summarly this is what I'd need on arrive(once I've actually rented for a while)
1) a public school job for my wife(I was looking toward Kyle as an option to commute to both Austin and San Antonio)
2) the ability to run a business from home(or baring that atleast a cheap space I can call my office) At most it would be an SUV parked out front(in NJ an Explorer is considered a car so I don't have any badging on it.). Anything bigger(the biggest being a 15 ft box truck would be parked offsite(at a storage company).
Houston may be cheaper to get a building, but my thought is maybe if I went away from town, thus the thought of Kyle I could just buy some land if need be. a 40 x 60 building costs around 20k, so probably 45k set up and atleast usable.
My biggest concern with Houston is the hurricanes, and whether that will a)significantly drive up my insurance and b) offset any gains I might get on the taxes in the Austin area, which other members have mentioned are erratic.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:23 PM

415 posts, read 506,615 times
Houston is cheaper than Austin generally. Depends on what area. The west side of Houston is generally the most expensive.

As for hurricanes, Houston last got hit by one in 1984. Tropical Storm Allison hit in 2001, and was unique since it stalled. If you are in Katy, you have absolutely nothing to worry about in terms of flooding if a hurricane hits. Katy doesn't flood.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:24 PM

314 posts, read 1,230,594 times
I used to live in Katy, and the taxes are very high. Our rate was 3.85% and our utilities in a brand new home were crazy high (check out the electricity rates when you look at homes - our rate was double in Katy). The schools are awesome and it would be easier for your wife to get a job. But it is Houston not Austin and there is a world of difference. PM me if you would like to discuss.

I think Kyle is great and they have excellent schools. Your wife might need to substitute teach for a semester before getting a job in Hays ISD, unless she has some very special certs. Not sure on what type of home business you are talking about, there are usually restrictions in the different HOA's and you would need to research. I work from home as do most of my neighbors, but if you were going to have a child care center or a distribution center this would be an issue.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:35 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,777 times
Houston is a cesspool of everything that is wrong with the so-called "American Dream". I grew up there and am never going back, even though that city has more jobs in my career field than any other in the nation.

Someone said there are more things to do in Houston than Austin. I wouldn't say there are more or less, I'd say there are different things to do. In Houston, most go to malls, the movies, eat out, and possibly a museum/concert/sporting game for fun. In Austin, you'll find people kayaking on Town Lake, boating on Lake Travis, running/biking the Zilker trails or nature preserves, playing in the dog parks, or hitting up the (slightly less corporate) restaurant/bar scene. This is all in a general sense, of course. Austin has malls and movie theaters as well, but the overall mentality of those who really take advantage of what Austin has to offer is much less "consumer" oriented than Houston and much more active in type.

But speaking of being consumer oriented, keep in mind the proximity to the San Marcos and Round Rock outlet malls if you lived in Austin/Kyle - if that happens to be of interest to you or your wife.

The political climate of each city is quite different as well. Houston is typically conservative like the rest of Texas. You have the largest mega-church in the nation in the old Summit stadium building and Houston has probably one of the largest concentrations of mega-churches in any metro area. On the other hand, Austin is the only city and Travis county is the only county that breaks the sea of red that covers the state during elections.

I actually grew up in the Katy area (Barker Cypress / Clay Rd) and then moved to Austin for college (lived here for about 5 years now), so if you have any specific questions about the areas, just ask.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:45 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
Houston is cheaper than Austin generally. Depends on what area. The west side of Houston is generally the most expensive.

As for hurricanes, Houston last got hit by one in 1984. Tropical Storm Allison hit in 2001, and was unique since it stalled. If you are in Katy, you have absolutely nothing to worry about in terms of flooding if a hurricane hits. Katy doesn't flood.
I think it would have been more appropriate to say "Katy didn't flood." Any natural space is basically being mowed down and developed with anywhere from 30-80% impervious cover. And the civil site restrictions in the area are incredibly lax.

We never had any flooding issues due to the Addicks reservoir, but that thing fills up so fast now with all of the development, and it can only do so much. Houston has major flooding issues already (since it's so flat), and I won't be surprised if Katy has its fair share when the next major storm hits.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:00 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
I transplanted from the NE myself and have lived in Houston and Austin. Austin, IMO, is much better than Houston. Houston is less expensive, generally speaking, but there is a reason for that. It is flat and hot. You have to really like asphalt, tornadoes, flooding (many, many intersections flood during the frequent summer downpours), and cockroaches (even in million dollar homes, thanks to the climate) and have an aversion to anything green, trees, and hills. Oh, and you must enjoy driving 30 minutes and making a dozen u-turns (thanks to the divided streets) to go anywhere - even if it's 5 miles away. You mentioned the commute from Katy to Houston not being too bad. Wrong. It's a nightmare. I-10 is pretty much backed up 24/7. I will concede, however, that Houston has a lot more and better museums.

Austin has higher taxes and prices in general, but if you coming from Jersey, they are still much lower than you are used to. It shouldn't be hard to find a teaching position in the area, but the same is true for Houston.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:57 PM

415 posts, read 506,615 times
I live in Katy now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
Houston is a cesspool of everything that is wrong with the so-called "American Dream". I grew up there and am never going back, even though that city has more jobs in my career field than any other in the nation.
How so?

Quote:
Someone said there are more things to do in Houston than Austin. I wouldn't say there are more or less, I'd say there are different things to do. In Houston, most go to malls, the movies, eat out, and possibly a museum/concert/sporting game for fun. In Austin, you'll find people kayaking on Town Lake, boating on Lake Travis, running/biking the Zilker trails or nature preserves, playing in the dog parks, or hitting up the (slightly less corporate) restaurant/bar scene. This is all in a general sense, of course. Austin has malls and movie theaters as well, but the overall mentality of those who really take advantage of what Austin has to offer is much less "consumer" oriented than Houston and much more active in type.
Likewise in Houston, you will find people jogging and walking their dog in Memorial Park. Taking the light rail from to the zoo, Hermann Park, and the very class Museum District:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/16/HoustonMuseumDistrictLightrailNorthbound.JPG/800px-HoustonMuseumDistrictLightrailNorthbound.JPG (broken link)

And with the new, recently completed Discovery Green, many people are out in Downtown Houston having a good time:

And since you say you are from the Katy area, you should know that George Bush Parks fills up with people during the summer. With all of the soccer fields, dog parks, general parks, outdoor pavilions/playgrounds/grills. Always people out there.

Quote:
But speaking of being consumer oriented, keep in mind the proximity to the San Marcos and Round Rock outlet malls if you lived in Austin/Kyle - if that happens to be of interest to you or your wife.
You would have Katy Mills to shop at if you decide on Katy. Also, the new La Centerra development in Cinco Ranch (will include stores like Hollister, Whole Foods, etc.). Then you have "The Grand". This will be a new mall in Katy, which will include a Macy's, Dillard's, Barnes and Nobles, and possible Nordstrom's. The JC Penney and Cinemark are already there.

Quote:
The political climate of each city is quite different as well. Houston is typically conservative like the rest of Texas. You have the largest mega-church in the nation in the old Summit stadium building and Houston has probably one of the largest concentrations of mega-churches in any metro area. On the other hand, Austin is the only city and Travis county is the only county that breaks the sea of red that covers the state during elections.
Austin is liberal by Texas standards, but doesn't compare to say San Francisco or Seattle. Still though, Travis County was not the only county that went blue. You should check out the Rio Grande Valley counties. They all went blue. Dallas County almost went blue (just a few points). Harris County (Houston) as well. Houston is not a conservative city. You should see who is elected into office. The suburbs of Houston are, as are Austin's suburbs.

Quote:
I actually grew up in the Katy area (Barker Cypress / Clay Rd) and then moved to Austin for college (lived here for about 5 years now), so if you have any specific questions about the areas, just ask.
You lived close by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I transplanted from the NE myself and have lived in Houston and Austin. Austin, IMO, is much better than Houston. Houston is less expensive, generally speaking, but there is a reason for that. It is flat and hot. You have to really like asphalt, tornadoes, flooding (many, many intersections flood during the frequent summer downpours), and cockroaches (even in million dollar homes, thanks to the climate) and have an aversion to anything green, trees, and hills. Oh, and you must enjoy driving 30 minutes and making a dozen u-turns (thanks to the divided streets) to go anywhere - even if it's 5 miles away. You mentioned the commute from Katy to Houston not being too bad. Wrong. It's a nightmare. I-10 is pretty much backed up 24/7. I will concede, however, that Houston has a lot more and better museums.
I haven't seen a single tornado in Houston . I've lived here my entire life. Austin isn't immune to roaches either. Houston is also a greener city than Austin. Much more trees than Austin, and taller. Houston was built in the piney woods of Texas. Some areas sprawled out of it though (Katy, Pearland, etc.). As for hills in Houston, they don't compare to Austin's, but The Woodlands on north has some nice rolling hills and piney woods. Very nice area, and that could also be another place you ould look into.

And I-10 is no where near backed up 24/7 anymore. The expansion is almost complete. The commuter rail will be coming in South of Katy along the Westpark Tollway, too, so there will be more than one option to get into Houston.

Quote:
Austin has higher taxes and prices in general, but if you coming from Jersey, they are still much lower than you are used to. It shouldn't be hard to find a teaching position in the area, but the same is true for Houston.
Yep.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:37 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,498,105 times
Houston, or maybe Austin, it depends. Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin