Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 06:10 AM

18 posts, read 181,858 times

Advertisements

but I need help convincing my husband and I fear there will be no convincing him. His need to stay primarily is that his family lives here and he's very, very close with them (parents and sister). Also, he doesn't like change and has lived in Baltimore all his life. Lastly, his mortgage business is based on referrals so he'd have to start all over if we moved and give up his small ownership in several companies. I just happened to find a job in an industry that I would love to work in and the position is in Austin!!!!! We each contribute about 50% of the family income.

I have pretty much lived in the Annapolis/DC/Baltimore area all my life also but have had a desire to go to Austin or Dallas since I was applying for college - UT Autsin did not accept me so I ended up in school in DC. Anyway, DH has been to Austin once on a business trip and I've been once when I visited UT. I have an aunt in Dallas and have been there several times. Anyway, the reasons I believe I want to move are (more to Dallas because I've spent more time there):
1) People are much more friendly than here
2) Dallas is very cosmopolitan with different pockets of town like Deep Ellum, Green??? with antiques, cool museums. Austin also gets good reviews but don't really remember from so long ago
3) Still close to water - the Gulf
4) Great, real Mexican food
5) Excellent cost of living and many newer homes are in communities with pools, trails and playgrounds
6) Austin has hills, trees and lots of water so as I recall the topography is not much different than here
7) It's warm and I prefer heat over cold (DH doesn't)
8) My dad recently moved to Tyler, TX to operate a B&B
9) I like the southwest, urban cowboy, desert 'feel' if that makes sense not important to DH
10) I also feel that TX is more outdoorsy and environmental than we are back east (except perhaps Houston being 'big oil' central) but this is not important to DH

What have I missed? No matter what I don't think I am going and I certainly don't want to drag DH and have to deal with the resentment of him not liking it. I'll just talk to others about it and dream.

Erika "stuck in MD"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,998 times
Hey sotodog! Did you already accept a job and DH doesn't know? Uh oh! Maybe you should try a small vacation to Austin for four days or so...I bet he would be convinced.

I have many friends in teh mortgage industry here in Austin, so if he meets the right people, he could build a quick referral base. See if you can get him to start slowly.

Good luck and I hope you guys make the move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin