Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:06 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times

Advertisements

Wow, sorry to hear about Aus-Tex. Both the bad service and the Spicewood Springs store. Poor customer service will kill a business faster than anything.

Actually...I have bought almost all of my appliances from Sears and I'm not sure I can tell you why. I guess I like their selection and I usually buy when they are having sales or promotions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:33 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Also, if you are intending to buy an extended warranty of any kind, the cost difference can be huge
I've never purchased an extended warranty for anything, but I wish I had for the last new refrigerator we bought. It's a GE, ss, sxs, bought at Home Depot in 2003 for about $1,800. I've spend over $800 in repairs and, at present, we still have the light switch inside the door duct taped shut because the door does not press it in as required. Our ice maker doesn't work either, as the ice continuously freezes into a single block and thus can't be dispensed. I've had multiple appliance repair people look at it, replaced control cards, adjusted the seals, tried everything. It still doesn't operate correctly.

I was in Fry's the other day to get some computer related stuff and went over to look at the fridges. The Samsungs with the french doors on top and freezer below, and the LED lighting inside looked really nice and I'm thinking of getting one after I do more research.

I think the ext warranty on that one was $179 if I remember right. Having had a lemon, I'd pay that in a heartbeat to avoid suffering through the misery this fridge has given us. GE was no help at all as we were past the warranty when things started acting up.

So, normally, I'd stay away from the warranties, but on a $2,000+ purchase, an extra 8 to 10% for the warranty will be worth it if you end up with a lemon.

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 07-28-2008 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-28-2008, 01:36 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I've never purchased an extended warranty for anything, but I wish I had for the last new refrigerator we bought. It's a GE, ss, sxs, bought at Home Depot in 2003 for about $1,800. I've spend over $800 in repairs and, at present, we still have the light switch inside the door duct taped shut because the door does not press it in as required. Our ice maker doesn't work either, as the ice continuously freezes into a single block and thus can't be dispensed. I've had multiple appliance repair people look at it, replaced control cards, adjusted the seals, tried everything. It still doesn't operate correctly.

I was in Fry's the other day to get some computer related stuff and went over to look at the fridges. The Samsungs with the french doors on top and freezer below, and the LED lighting inside looked really nice and I'm thinking of getting one after I do more research.

I think the ext warranty on that one was $179 if I remember right. Having had a lemon, I'd pay that in a heartbeat to avoid suffering through the misery this fridge has given us. GE was no help at all as we were past the warranty when things started acting up.

So, normally, I'd stay away from the warranties, but on a $2,000+ purchase, an extra 8 to 10% for the warranty will be worth it if you end up with a lemon.

Steve
Steve, if you have a home warranty, doesn't that include the refrigerator?

Old 07-28-2008, 02:12 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Steve, if you have a home warranty, doesn't that include the refrigerator?
It depends on the coverage purchased. The fridge is not necessarily covered, but it's always an option to add it. Most buyers get a "free" home warranty from the seller when purchasing a home, but it's only good for a year, then you have to renew for $300-$500/yr.

Steve

Old 07-28-2008, 02:35 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
I'd just add that Consumer Reports only charges $5.95 per month for use of their website -- and you can cancel at any time, restart at any time. Since they don't accept money from advertisers, I strongly recommend that you sign up, even for just a month. It's worth it for any large purchase.

You might also check out clarkhoward.com for general recommendations on buying appliances and extended warranties. The consensus seems to be to avoid washer/dryer/fridges with excessive bells and whistles. Those will certainly need repair in a shorter timeframe. The simple ones will be trouble-free the longest, even though they are cheaper up front!

Also, places like Lowes and Home Depot often have scratch-n-dent and floor display items. That's how I bought my last fridge, at about $700 less (they are negotiable!) than the regular price. The dent was in a replaceable panel that I could order from GE for about $20 bux. So far, no problems, and I didn't get any extended warranty. I moved it myself, and got rid of the old fridge on craigslist.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:11 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I'd just add that Consumer Reports only charges $5.95 per month for use of their website -- and you can cancel at any time, restart at any time. Since they don't accept money from advertisers, I strongly recommend that you sign up, even for just a month. It's worth it for any large purchase.
I second this. I LOVE my Consumer Reports online subscription. I use it all the time.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:59 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post

You might also check out clarkhoward.com for general recommendations on buying appliances and extended warranties.
I LOVE Clark Howard.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:49 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,617,438 times
CONNS always has great deals also. I got my LG front loader (floor model) w/ drawer for $650.00, original price was 1099.00

Old 07-29-2008, 12:42 PM

959 posts, read 4,493,817 times
Wow you guys rock. Thank you for all the great ideas and tips!! We've managed to avoid ever having to buy appliances before - rented then bought a house with appliances all included so we're appliance buying newbies

I was able to find all of 2008 consumer reports for free via AccessMyLibrary - News, Research, and Information that Libraries Trust which lets you input your library card's barcode to access books/etc they have available online. The website also lets you register for a temporary library card you can get for free (which I had to do b/c my library card's barcode would not take even though I found my library system in their list).

Old 07-29-2008, 07:11 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
Wow you guys rock. Thank you for all the great ideas and tips!! We've managed to avoid ever having to buy appliances before - rented then bought a house with appliances all included so we're appliance buying newbies

I was able to find all of 2008 consumer reports for free via AccessMyLibrary - News, Research, and Information that Libraries Trust which lets you input your library card's barcode to access books/etc they have available online. The website also lets you register for a temporary library card you can get for free (which I had to do b/c my library card's barcode would not take even though I found my library system in their list).

I would only buy online. Amazon has some products with reviews. Google Product Search (googles shopping engine) will help you to find the best prices and has some reviews as well. Epinions may have some reviews as well

If you buy online you often times can get free shipping and you may not have to pay tax.

For example this one (found on froogle and entering washing machine) has 76 reviews on google and still has a 4* rating. I consider that to be a great product. People will list the things they dont like about it and that usually is really comprehensive. Before I bought my tundra I new that the seatbelt wouldnt retract very well, there would be a thunking when I stopped at lights and the remote keyless entry was really weak. All of those things were true.

LG WM0642HW Front Load Washing Machine with 7 Washing Programs
... water and energy efficiency7 Washing Programs6 Temperature ... Wash by 12 hours for washing convenienceCustom ProgramUpfront Electronic Control Panel ....
76 reviews - Add to Shopping List
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: