Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,612 times

Advertisements

It is quite possible that My husband, young Son, and I will be moving to Austin in the next 6 months. I am looking into living in Round Rock, Pflugerville, Cedar Park, areas. Which would be the best? I have very strong family values and want to find a place where I will fit in. I would also like to be close to parks, shopping, and restaurants as well. Also after reading other posts it seems like there are a lot of bugs there as well; there are things I can do to keep my home bug free right? (I really don't like bugs or snakes) I have been doing a lot of research but advice from people that actually live there would be very helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 11:44 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
All of those towns are very family friendly. I guess you just need to come see for yourself which one you like best. Pflugerville has Pfluger park and a small lake and is closest to Austin of the 3. We have a good friend who lives there. Cedar Park is closer to the Lake (Travis). Probably closer to the mall (Lakeline) too. Round Rock has Rock n' River water Park, Old Settlers (big park with duck lake, ball and soccer fields, tennis, frisbee golf, walking trails and horseriding trails), Dell Diamond (minor league baseball stadium) and the Outlets and stores around that.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:06 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
It all depends on whose family values are important to you. Any place in Austin may fit the bill- you would need to be more specific.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:48 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
A good barometer is to simply follow the better schools. Stick to neighborhoods with Exemplary or Recognized rated elementary and Middle schools and you'll have a good starting point.

Of course this isn't the end-all answer, but it's a quick and easy way to narrow things down to candidate neighborhoods.

Steve

Old 10-27-2008, 06:29 PM

347 posts, read 1,567,540 times
Cedar Park is very family friendly. it's far from downtown, though, if that's an issue (so is Round Rock).

If you want to stay away from bugs then don't get a house that back up to a greenbelt. My friend who lives in the same neighborhood (on a greenbelt) has had issues with lots of bugs and scorpions. Our house backs up to a road. While not picturesque, we haven't had a single problem with any bugs. Haven't seen a scorpion or snake yet. Also, brand new houses seem to have more scorpion problems than houses that have been around for at least a couple of years.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:51 PM

6 posts, read 72,191 times
In 2007, Family Circle magazine named Cedar Park into the top 10 best communities nationwide for families.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:51 PM

12 posts, read 28,118 times
Having lived in Austin area for 27 years and married with children myself, my advice would be for you to concentrate on master-planned communities and in areas where schools are highly rated. We have some wonderful communities in Cedar Park, Round Rock and Pflugerville that are very family oriented with plenty of ongiong resident activities. I previously lived in Round Rock for several years, know Cedar Park area well and currently live in Pflugerville for 14 years so I can tell you from personal experience any of these locations are good considerations. Your job location might have some influence on where you select to move. For example, if you'll be commuting to central or south Austin, Pflugerville or Round Rock might be a better location than Cedar Park. Don't fret about bugs -- it's not what your read about. Ants can be pesty but my husband treats around our home outside and I never have any kind of ant or bug problem. You didn't mention where you are moving from. Austin is wonderful and you're going to love it here.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:25 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Does Austin have any non-family friendly areas? Pricey areas, yes, areas with lower incomes yes. But a part of town that is not friendly to kids and families? I don't know of any! Even West Campus which is full of college kids and frats is "friendly" to kids. My oldest two went to daycare in West Campus and we always got smiles, encouragement, and help.

Now, parts of DC and parts of La I would label "non-family-friendly," places where you were invisible if you had a child with you (or worse were met with rudeness and hostility) but Austin? Never!

Old 11-01-2008, 09:25 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Does Austin have any non-family friendly areas? Pricey areas, yes, areas with lower incomes yes. But a part of town that is not friendly to kids and families? I don't know of any! Even West Campus which is full of college kids and frats is "friendly" to kids. My oldest two went to daycare in West Campus and we always got smiles, encouragement, and help.

Now, parts of DC and parts of La I would label "non-family-friendly," places where you were invisible if you had a child with you (or worse were met with rudeness and hostility) but Austin? Never!

I agree. There are very few parts of Austin that are not "family-friendly". (Well, maybe downtown condos, but I don't really know.)

I raised my kids in Highland Park, in the UT area, in Northeast Austin, in Barton Hills - none of those were master-planned communities (I don't do HOA's well, which is why we live out in the country now, though I do understand that some folks love them and am happy to show them), but they were all quite family-friendly, in their own ways. I have friends who have raised their families in Crestview, Allandale, and other neighborhoods.

The three areas that you mentioned, Cedar Park, Round Rock, Pflugerville, are all family-friendly, as well. (They're not, strictly speaking, "Austin", though you'd be hard put without a map to know at the edges exactly which one you're in.) What are your other interests (and those of your family, where is work likely to be, etc.? That will help us point the way.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:29 AM

74 posts, read 216,994 times
Family Friendly is a very ambigious term indeed.

It all depends on the age of your children I guess. Downtown areas are great for families with children under the age of about 10 because there are a lot of events there.

Suburbs such as RR or Cedar Park are great if they are 10-16 when they would want to go outside, ride bikes, go to parks, etc.

Price range is also a very big factor.

As long as you hire a good bug guy then you shouldn't have a problem with bugs in your house - we live in a 80s house in RR thats on 2 acres and even though its not weather stripped that well we rarely see bugs and have never seen a rodent or snake. (we have some feral cats though that help secure the land).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin