Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2007, 12:26 PM

8 posts, read 35,157 times

Advertisements

We are looking to possibly move to Austin this summer when the kids finish the school year. We now live in Portland, Oregon and the housing market has slowed down quite a bit. I was wondering if anybody could give me a feel of how the building of new homes is going and will it grow? I'm a licensed tile and granite contractor with 15 years of experience with good references, is there much work for me there? What do people pay there for installation? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 12:33 PM

70 posts, read 369,375 times
Our market is speeding up consistently - but they're going to slow down new home construction this year (which is good, IMO, esp. for property values.) More than likely, you're going to see a drop in pay for the actual work - but you can find plenty of inexpensive subs. I'd have to dig for my last quote, but I think I pay ~$2/sf for the actual tile install. I use a GC, but he's priced very well. I'm not sure what he pays his subs, but I know it's much less.
Bottom line - market's going to be better, cost of labor is less. If you're really hungry for work - have you looked into any of the Gulf areas where the hurricane rebuilding is going on? If you like TX, the Port Arthur needs a lot of help.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:48 PM

8 posts, read 35,157 times
Default Thanks for quick response

Austin seems to stand out for us. It is a lot like the Portland area with the culture and the high tech. I know I would take a pay cut, but from what I've read and researched my cost of living will be much less. The area I go to is important to me for my children and Austin seems the best fit. I'm originally from Florida where the wages are also low, I would, or could not go back there because the cost of homes there are even higher than here in Oregon. That is one of the reason's we are moving to the Austin area.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:15 PM

70 posts, read 369,375 times
It sounds like you have a good handle on it!

Old 01-27-2007, 02:53 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
I'm a licensed tile and granite contractor with 15 years of experience with good references
The problem you'll have here in Austin is being able to bid comptetitively against a pretty skilled immigrant work force. Also, in Texas, no license is required for trades such as tile setting, masonry, etc. The are no unions, so pricing is true free market pricing. There is starting to be a shortage of labor though as the housing boom in Austin continues.

If you're exceptionally good, you might create a niche working in the higher end homes where "adequate" tile and granite work is not good enough, and the builders have high enough margins to pay for the kind of quality desired in those homes.

Good luck.

Steve

Old 01-27-2007, 07:12 PM

288 posts, read 811,604 times
Finally-another tile guy on this forum! We should just hook up and go into business lol! My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of moving to Austin as well. From the research I've done, it looks as though I'd realistically make about 2/3 of what I do here. I'm guessing MN and OR pay about the same for tile work-well!

My understanding is that high end new homes and remodeling work are the way to go in Texas in general. The non-english speaking folks have the market cornered on low and moderate end new construction, so you'll starve yourself to death trying to compete with them. I've heard such crews will install 12 x 12 over a slab for as little as $1-$2 a foot. Now I'm sure the quality is nothing to write home about, but for alot of people if the price is right and the tile's stuck to the floor that's good enough.

While Austin proper is getting pretty spendy, you can get a new/newer home in a nice neighborhood for under $200k in the outlying areas. I guess that helps offset the "sunshine tax" we'd be paying by moving to that market.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: