Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Couple seeks advice on choosing between two homes to purchase, buying real estate as investment or what is better for family, real estate appreciation

Old 09-04-2008, 05:55 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,189,839 times

Advertisements

We're torn between two houses right now. One is in Shady Hollow and one in Granada. They're both around the same price but the SH has far more room and won't need to be added on to -- the Granada one is a little too small but is nicer (needs less work). If we dump a lot of $ into SH making it really nice, I'm wondering if we'll retain the value or make money on it. I wouldn't want to price it out of the neighborhood. If we add on to the Granada house, there are other houses in the area that considerably more expensive so it's conceivable that we could double the value if we stay there long enough -- SH we would never double our money.

I think I'm leaning towards Granada just because it seems like it's a better investment but my husband is leaning towards SH cause it has the space we need without extending the footprint of the house.

Any advice? Should we flip a coin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 08:03 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,836,193 times
It's all about what your goals are. Are you up to living in a house with a hole in it while you build on an extention? Remodels like that aren't very fun. Is it in good enough condition that you could live there, though it's smaller, and then buy something else in 3-4 years while you feed off the appreciation since others are priced higher in the area?

Are you looking for your 7-10 year house and you know in your heart that you probably would not do the addition no matter how much you talk about it? Then go for the larger house. Watch how much you put into it as you were correct that you don't want to over do it, but also remember, when you update a house, you're doing it for you, and not necessarily for resale value. If you update now, and sell in 7-10 years, it could already be dated again.

You need to think which house you could call "home". Don't buy a house just to buy the house. If you never feel it's home, you're going to be selling much sooner than you anticipated.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,450,502 times
As you know, both are very nice neighborhoods of slightly different kinds. I'm inordinately fond of both of them and have been for about 20 years now.
If I weren't living out in the country, I might be living in one of them now. At the moment, they're both "far enough out, close enough in" that I can't see either neighborhood losing in value in the near (or even relatively distant) future.

It's hard to answer your question without seeing the house and the comps. Do you have estimates on how much it would cost to remodel the Granada house, and are there recent comps of houses that would be similar once you'd done the remodeling to give you an idea of what it would go for if the remodeling were already done, right now? Can your agent help you with these?

Donna's right, how long are you planning to live in this home? That's a major point that needs to be considered - short term, you might just get the remodeling finished and move and never be able to enjoy it. If you're going to live there for a while, that makes it more worth it.

Will your marriage stand the strain of remodeling? Sounds silly, I know, but it can be VERY strenous on a marriage to live with remodeling.

Last, do you love one of them more than the other?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:55 PM

54 posts, read 149,257 times
it.

Will your marriage stand the strain of remodeling? Sounds silly, I know, but it can be VERY strenous on a marriage to live with remodeling.

IT IS MORE STRENUOUS ON THE KIDS!! My parents wereliterally workin on the house every weekend of my youth in cleveland, with plastic up on the walls to move out of the way as we walked in the l room and my father's blasting Glenn Miller and big band music.. i cringe recalling it to this day.. and i mean paint and 'vrrrrrr!' that's the electric noise every weekend, for yrs..

Last, do you love one of them more than the other?[/quote]

Old 09-08-2008, 10:30 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,189,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
As you know, both are very nice neighborhoods of slightly different kinds. I'm inordinately fond of both of them and have been for about 20 years now.
If I weren't living out in the country, I might be living in one of them now. At the moment, they're both "far enough out, close enough in" that I can't see either neighborhood losing in value in the near (or even relatively distant) future.

It's hard to answer your question without seeing the house and the comps. Do you have estimates on how much it would cost to remodel the Granada house, and are there recent comps of houses that would be similar once you'd done the remodeling to give you an idea of what it would go for if the remodeling were already done, right now? Can your agent help you with these?

Donna's right, how long are you planning to live in this home? That's a major point that needs to be considered - short term, you might just get the remodeling finished and move and never be able to enjoy it. If you're going to live there for a while, that makes it more worth it.

Last, do you love one of them more than the other?
We ruled out SH based on the traffic. The Granada home needs less work upfront but we'll need to do some work later. We're planning on staying long term.

We currently have a 1915 craftsman bungalow that we've been remodeling for the past 10 years. We took it down to studs and put an addition on the back. We survived but it was tough! Don't want to do that level of work EVER again. LOL!

Of course we decided on the Granada house and then found something in Barton Hills that we like also and it needs a lot of work (you can read my other post about moisture issues). It would be nice to be closer in but I think we might just stick with the Granada house so we don't have to worry about mold or crime. We pulled up the COA website and saw that there have been some burglaries in BH and nothing in Granada. We're leaving Atlanta because crime is such a problem for us.

Househunting is hard work! Hopefully we'll get it nailed down soon. Thanks for your advice!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:42 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,072,072 times
Quote:
We pulled up the COA website and saw that there have been some burglaries in BH and nothing in Granada.
Granada is not in the city of Austin. It's patrolled by Travis County. With over 400 homes, I can promise you there are burgaries. Last I heard (on the neighborhood yahoogroup), someone had gas stolen from their car a couple of months ago. Haven't heard of anything else, but you need to check with Travis County Sheriff, not APD.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: