Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 02:31 PM

36 posts, read 163,001 times

Advertisements

I am not used to the tap water here, it really has a different taste to it. Do people here use filters? I have lived in Seattle, Portland and Philadelphia and I didn't mind the water there. However, here I have a hard time drinking it. Any recommendations, I am trying to avoid buying bottled water because I drink a lot of water and that adds up fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 03:08 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,920,390 times
Same here. Our water tastes funny to me. We purchased an under the sink filter at one of the big box stores (don't remember which plus neither one sell that brand any more). They're not too terribly complex to install, but we hired a plumber for ours anyway. We had to replace ours recently and were able to do so without calling the plumber though! Anyway, they take these standard filters available at Lowes/ Home Depot for between $8 and $20 (depends on what you want filtered out) that you change every 6 months and they definitely help. We also have a filter on our fridge so the ice and water from the door taste better too. Only thing we haven't figured out is the water in the bathroom, but it's not like we drink a lot of it.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:12 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,838 times
When we lived in Austin we used a filter on the tap. Until we installed that, outside of the grocery stores there were these water dispensing machines (I think they were "Glacier" brand). We'd fill up gallon jugs - maybe five at time and would go twice a week. At the time (about 10 years ago) it was .25/gallon. It may have gone up. At any rate, that was a lot more economical than buying Desani or Aquafina.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:18 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
Eh, just drink the water, you will get used to it .

Old 09-20-2008, 03:39 PM

89 posts, read 418,342 times
I have been using Britta water pitchers and filters for years and have been happy with them. You can really tell the differance when using the water for making coffee, cooking with or drinking. I have never liked the tast of water, I have to put lemon or lime juice in it.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:03 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Eh, just drink the water, you will get used to it .
Nope, some of us have such refined palates that we can never get used to it. I grew up in Los Angeles and NEVER drunk water as a kid. Couldn't stomach it. As a teenager we moved to the PNW and for the first time I could drink water. It was so, soooo, refreshing! After that I've never been able to live anywhere else without a filter on the tap.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:35 PM

106 posts, read 476,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkk View Post
I have been using Britta water pitchers and filters for years and have been happy with them. You can really tell the differance when using the water for making coffee, cooking with or drinking. I have never liked the tast of water, I have to put lemon or lime juice in it.
I do the same. I have the Britta refrigerator jug and just fill it as necessary for coffee, water-based cold drinks and ice cubes.

I use plain tap water to steam food and/or cook pasta though... I can't taste a difference when tap water is used for these sort of cooking tasks.

TX Griff

Old 09-21-2008, 06:00 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,921 times
silly queston, has anyone who installed a filter under the sink found one with a brushed nickel spicket rather than chrome?

Old 09-21-2008, 06:26 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,888 times
I've gotten so used to the LA water that Austin tap water tastes like manna to me. Not that I drank the water in LA... I went to "The Water Store" (or, rather, my husband did) and filled up about 10 5 gallon jugs every 6 or 7 weeks. We go through a lot of water (we gave our pets bottled too). And it was expensive! He is very VERY happy not to have to do that anymore.

It feels so good to be able to drink out of the tap here! Especially with all the stuff about chemicals from plastic seeping into the water!

Even though the water tastes pretty decent, we got one of those Pure water filters, but we have yet to install it (because it won't fit our fixture).

Old 09-21-2008, 07:36 PM

68 posts, read 376,388 times
I just moved here and I think the water is disgusting. I use a Brita water filter. Really makes a difference. I've lived here for almost 2 months and I can't get used to the water so I'll probably stick with the filter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin