Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 10:52 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions re the Bella Terra Condos on E. Parmer?
Purchase? Rentals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 02:11 AM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,979 times
I wouldn't buy any condo now, period. Many HOAs cannot even meet basic loan standards, requiring cash only buys. This is forcing prices down of course.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:12 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
What's the area like? Would love some input
Are there many rentals available? What's the going rate?

TIA

Old 04-06-2009, 12:26 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Key word would be "affordable". I wouldn't have too much good to say about that area of Parmer east of I-35. Some not so good neighborhoods close by, probably schools are not great. Close to shopping and employers, I guess. The condos look nice in the pics, but I'd imagine they are not a very good investment.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that much of the area is rentals.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:55 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwv View Post
I wouldn't buy any condo now, period. Many HOAs cannot even meet basic loan standards, requiring cash only buys. This is forcing prices down of course.
but by that rationale that would mean this would be an excellent time to buy. When the HOA forces people to pay cash that makes the affordability of the condo very low. What do you think is going to happen when they lift that requirement? Prices going up, wouldn't you think?

In TX I think it is an average time to buy. Most important thing would be to make sure your job is stable. I don't exactly see house prices in TX to decline substantially or in increase substantially.

If this is your first purchase forget about the investment idea. Just buy a home to live in.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:25 PM

979 posts, read 2,956,224 times
The area is very convenient to a lot of stuff (shopping/employers/restaurants). It is also much cheaper than most of Austin. The bad neighborhoods are miles further to the south of there (closer to Rundberg).

As far as investments go, it probably isn't going to be the best place to invest in, but it would definitely be a decent place to live.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:29 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,061,638 times
Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts/opinions re the Bella Terra Condos on E. Parmer?
I know about those condos and have been in them and met the developer. They are very well built, good quality product. If you dig below the surface and really compare the construction to the condos built by competitors such as DR Horton or some of the others, these are a notch above. Check out the spec sheets. Developers are local Austin guys who've been around a long time and are solid.

There are two or three 8-unit buildings remaining to be built out there, so I would make sure you plan to hold on for a while as you might not see short term appreciation while still competing against new units. The builder is very conservative in not over building the projects and creating too much supply, which is why it has taken so many years to get all the buildings up. This is good for home owners there though. Slow and steady hold it's value better than if there were 25 empty units.

As for condos in general, you have to be of the precise demographic for whom a condo is intended in order to get full value from ownership. A buyer who could go either way, house or condo, would be better of in a house. But a very busy professional who doesn't want yard work, or who travels alot, will value a condo. As will empty nesters for the same reasons.

Location is a subjective criteria. It's certainly a convenient spot to be if you work in the area. Otherwise it has easy access to all directions of Austin.

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 04-07-2009 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin