Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:38 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,202 times

Advertisements

My husband, two kids and I are planning a relocation this summer, and we're considering both Denver and Austin suburbs. We love both hot weather and the 4 season type weather, so really, it's going to come down to which area has the best job prospects.

I've been contacted by a potential employer in Austin, and am planning a trip out there to meet in person (and get my bearings of the area). I'd love any input as to where I need to go. We're considering the northern suburbs of Round Rock, Cedar Park, and Pflugerville. But would love any other suggestions. I'll be working in 78701 (Congress Ave) Downtown, but don't want to live in the city. I'm used to driving up to 45 minutes each way to enjoy suburban life outside of the city. We almost never go into the city on the weekends, but do enjoy hiking, water activities (swimming), & sports (kids teams).

What we're looking for:
3 bedrooms, 2 bath rent for $1100 or less to start, $150K to buy in a year or so.
Community ammenities: pool, parks, rec center, library, basic shopping (Target, Borders, PetSmart, etc) and a few restaurants.
Low crime, good schools (have a 12 and a 1 year old), pretty nature nearby (like the idea of hill country), but don't mind living in tract home neighborhood; actually I kind of like "sidewalk developments".

Are there any zip codes you think I should focus on? Are there communities I haven't though of?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 12:59 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Kyle/Buda area is going to be about 30 minutes (w/out traffic) from down-town, and is a booming area.

A little further South is San Marcos, it's a college town (like Austin) and has everything you're looking for. Bastrop to the East is great for outdoor life, but the shopping will leave you desiring Austin. However it's a 40-45 minute drive on weekends to whatever you need in Austin. And you won't find any more beautiful nature anywhere else. North there is Round Rock, but not sure how the $150 price is going to factor in. West is, well all I can think of at the moment is Lake Travis ISD area's, but not sure how the $150k is going to go there as well.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:06 PM

16 posts, read 56,045 times
I'd agree with txgolfer -- Buda is a booming 'Burb and is right in the middle of Austin and everything that's going on south (San Marcos, outlet malls, San Antonio, the Snake Farm, etc.). Prices are still cheap here as well. My girlfriend lives in Kyle, which has a lot of young families there as well. Just a hair further south.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:07 PM

How about Pflugerville? I once read to stay West of I35. Why is that?

Old 01-20-2009, 01:24 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Pflugerville, is a great choice as well. E of 35 is getting to be more and more of a misnomer. There are still pockets of small crime areas, and bad neighborhoods, more developments are going up E of 35 and there is less worry about being E of there.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:27 PM

786 posts, read 2,762,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
How about Pflugerville? I once read to stay West of I35. Why is that?
The comments are normally based on demographics and the rating of the schools. In Austin proper, east of I35 is normally a lower income area, but from comments on this forum, there appear to be many "jewel" areas scattered around. Feedback on Pflugerville appear to be mixed depending on what area you are looking at. There are plenty of people who can give you some detailed info.

Any idea where your husband may be working? Commuting to downtown can be lengthy and will definitely impact your choice of location. I usually plug the Southwest part of Austin and area, but at $150K for a 3 bedroom your options may be limited.

Buda and Kyle are nice areas, but you would be doing most of your commuting on I35 coming into town. If you can, get up real early one day, drive to a potential house location, then do the drive back into the city. It will give you a feel of what it will be like.

Depending on where you come from, and what commute you are used to, you may find a "terrible" Austin commute to be very manageable.

Good Luck

Old 01-20-2009, 01:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Okay, you don't want to live "in the city" and prefer suburbs?

In that case, Pflugerville, Cedar Park, Round Rock (though it's hard sometimes to tell when you're in Austin and when you're in Round Rock), as others said Buda (used to be a sleepy little country town not that long ago). Your best bet for rentals with your criteria and in your price range, though, today on the MLS appears to be Cedar Park/Leander and RRE.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:28 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
West of 35 across from downtown, not west of 35 everywhere around Austin. I'll 2nd txgolfer130 there. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Pflugerville. Growing by leaps and bounds there. There is a major development about to open up there next to the toll road.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:37 PM

This is really great information, thanks everyone!

Old 01-20-2009, 02:40 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
I'd say Cedar Park. It's definitely suburban, but closer in than Leander and full of every kind of shopping. It's also closer to the lake, the new rail, and hill country; in the long run, I think that's going to differentiate it significantly from Pflugerville, Round Rock, and the south-I35 suburbs. $1100/$150K won't get you into the nicest areas in Cedar Park, but it's not like there are any really bad areas there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin