Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 03:23 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,987,594 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if there are synagogues like this. You know where there is a large young following and a lot of single events planned. I go to around one Jewish singles event out here each month, and was just wondering if there is a temple or too look into in Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 06:10 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,098,988 times
Well, Temple Beth Israel is the oldest and largest in town. They have an excellent day care too and tend to attract young families.
Congregation Beth Israel, Austin, TX - Home
And then there is the Dell Jewish Community Center.
The Jewish Community Association of Austin
They have a variety of activities for all ages, I would guess that they have singles events too but not sure. There are other smaller synagogues and several Jewish student organizations at UT.

There are probably more Jewish family activities here than Jewish singles activities (particularly if your comparison is DC, NYC, or Boston) but of course they are interdependent!

good luck!

Old 02-13-2010, 10:35 PM

515 posts, read 1,396,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Well, Temple Beth Israel is the oldest and largest in town. They have an excellent day care too and tend to attract young families.
Congregation Beth Israel, Austin, TX - Home
And then there is the Dell Jewish Community Center.
The Jewish Community Association of Austin
They have a variety of activities for all ages, I would guess that they have singles events too but not sure. There are other smaller synagogues and several Jewish student organizations at UT.

There are probably more Jewish family activities here than Jewish singles activities (particularly if your comparison is DC, NYC, or Boston) but of course they are interdependent!

good luck!
Are you familiar with Beth Israel yourself? When we move to Austin we will need to join a synagogue right away as my son will be (hopefully) having his Bar Mitzvah sometime next year. Just wondering how many families belong, and are there a lot of kids in the congregation? And since we don't know anyone in Austin we are hoping for an active synagogue to join.

Dana

Old 02-14-2010, 08:19 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,098,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eichlerfan View Post
Are you familiar with Beth Israel yourself? When we move to Austin we will need to join a synagogue right away as my son will be (hopefully) having his Bar Mitzvah sometime next year. Just wondering how many families belong, and are there a lot of kids in the congregation? And since we don't know anyone in Austin we are hoping for an active synagogue to join.

Dana
I am not a member of the congregation (and I'm not Jewish) but I am familiar with Beth Israel! We have friends and neighbors who are members, and I've met Rabbi Folberg. He is amazing with kids. Check out their web site, they are definitely a large, vibrant, Reform community! Send me a DM and I can put you in touch with some folks there.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the suggestions and sharing your experiences

The main thing I am "giving up" is having the huge Jewish 20s-30s singles scene that I have here. I was hoping there would be some place that has that in Austin. Someone did send me a link to a Young Jewish Adult Group affiliated with the JCC. It attracts any 20s-30s single, married, or seeing someone. I was just hoping I could mingle with some cute, single, Jewish guys

Old 02-15-2010, 12:56 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,506 times
Why do you limit your dating to "Jewish guys"?

Old 02-15-2010, 07:59 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,515 times
There are synagouges in Austin??? Seriously?? I am a non practicing half jew and never even knew they were here!! Wait, I think I may have heard of the Dell Jewish Community Center, or is that the Dell Childrens Hospital?? OMG, boy talk about shutting out an entire city. I think I could tell you every Synagouge there is in the Dallas area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
Just wondering if there are synagogues like this. You know where there is a large young following and a lot of single events planned. I go to around one Jewish singles event out here each month, and was just wondering if there is a temple or too look into in Austin.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:06 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,123,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Why does that surprise you? People of a strong faith in a religion will want to date someone of a similar faith.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
The truth is, I don't. I would like to date someone Jewish though because we share a lot of the same traditions and culture that someone Jewish doesn't have. Ultimately when I get married and have kids, I would like to be with someone Jewish.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
There are synagouges in Austin??? Seriously?? I am a non practicing half jew and never even knew they were here!! Wait, I think I may have heard of the Dell Jewish Community Center, or is that the Dell Childrens Hospital?? OMG, boy talk about shutting out an entire city. I think I could tell you every Synagouge there is in the Dallas area.
Hah. A non Jewish guy I once dated shortly who lived in Austin grew up in Houston and Dallas. He said we were all over the place there (and called his high school Hebrew High), but there aren't that many of us in Austin. He did mention how the JCC in Austin is really nice though LOL.

There is a lot of Jewish social events for young singles in my area, New York, Miami, Chicago, and Philly. I realize there wouldn't be that many in Austin, but I am trying to find them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: