Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 09:44 AM

192 posts, read 470,826 times

Advertisements

I'd appreciate your feedback as to whether or not you would think Austin ( or surrounding ) would be a good choice for me. Here are a few of my interests:

1) I enjoy the outdoors. (Motorcycling, boating, trails, sightseeing etc.....)
2) I like day trips to interesting small towns.
3) I enjoy hands on work and working on properties. ( remodeling, repairing )
4) I'm social, friendly and enjoy knowing my neighbors.
5) Want to be where there are singles in my age range.
6) Looking for a progressive, but not ultra-liberal society.
7) Would like four seasons without a long winter.
8) A place where I can find a modest home, but have quality neighbors.
9)

I'm originally from the NW and Colorado. I enjoy the beauty of both, but need a bit warmer/sunnier environment. Austin looks like it might be a good choice and would be nice to get some of your opinions on.
Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 10:35 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
Sure, why not! Will you bring your job with you or will you have to hunt?

Old 11-22-2013, 12:18 PM

844 posts, read 2,019,744 times
The 4 seasons thing might be an issue. Summer is hot and 6 months long.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:40 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,125 times
The four seasons thing is the only one I see that would be a miss. And the day trip thing.... while there are some interesting little towns and places to go see within a couple hour drive, its not like living on the East Coast or West Coast where there is a lot of variety.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:00 PM

Would the 6 months of "hot" mean that the A/C is always on, or is it more mid-day heat? Also, is it the humid heat that you get near the gulf or a bit dryer? I've spent the past two years along the gulf coast of Florida and know humidity, yet we often don't get above 92 and, with a light breeze, can get out and around in the heat.
Day trips.... Is there a common destination that you would go to feel like you got away for the day?

Old 11-22-2013, 03:24 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krh6609 View Post
Would the 6 months of "hot" mean that the A/C is always on, or is it more mid-day heat? Also, is it the humid heat that you get near the gulf or a bit dryer? I've spent the past two years along the gulf coast of Florida and know humidity, yet we often don't get above 92 and, with a light breeze, can get out and around in the heat.
Day trips.... Is there a common destination that you would go to feel like you got away for the day?
6 months of hot means that the AC is usually running 24/7 unless you're just very tolerant of it! It can even last 7-8 months in some years. It (to me) is a humid heat, though some will argue that it's a dry heat.

Don't believe them. It's hot, sweltering, months-long and rarely ever what I would consider a "dry" (below 30%) humidity. If you're used to coastal, seems like even the Texas coast would be a much better bet for you than Austin. I'm speaking strictly in terms of weather--Austin has a lot to offer, but the long summer heat is a deal-breaker for me, and I have relatives all over the area.

So I do get down there to visit--I just try to avoid going there between April and October.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:11 PM

Well we OFTEN get above 92! From late April until October, a high of 92 or above can be expected!

We easily run our AC 24/7 at least 9 months a year. In fact, there is no month of the year -- maybe February -- that you can absolutely guarantee you wouldn't need the AC. Upside? I have swum outdoors and enjoyed it every month of the year as well (including February!)

Austin isn't San Diego. We can have rapid weather swings and it can get cold and blustery. But people are absolutely out and about even in the very hot weather.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:13 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
6 months of hot means that the AC is usually running 24/7 unless you're just very tolerant of it! It can even last 7-8 months in some years. It (to me) is a humid heat, though some will argue that it's a dry heat.
Over the top. Our a/c NEVER runs 24/7, even in the worst 90 days - mid June to mid September. This year - June a/c was on 548 hrs, July - 510, August - 506, September - 365. By comparison, May was 320 and October was 142.

So yes - the 90 days are bad. Hide inside bad - or get in some water. Not the only place in the US where you hide inside. Like Michigan, Minnesota, upstate NY, ...

As far as the humidity, runs inversely proportional to the temp. Main reason is, that our highest temps - 100+ - come when winds are out of the SW, and the air is blowing up out of the Mexican deserts - and is Arizona dry. When the highs are in the low 90s in the sumner, we typically have around 65% humidity mid-afternoon.

Last edited by scm53; 11-22-2013 at 04:23 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 04:32 PM

Well isn't that parsing it a bit tightly? Of course, no one's AC should literally "run" 24/7 but if by "run" you mean that the AC is "on" and the doors and windows kept closed, then I would guess most people run their AC at least five months a year if not more.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:31 PM

As far as modest homes..... What would you say a person might spend for a smaller ( 1,100) ft home in a middle class neighborhood? Something like a 3/2 not in a trendy, but average neighborhood. Also, any suggestions of nearby towns that might be a little less in price, but would feel comfortable for a non-local. My goal is to have a year or so to explore the general area and move up from there. Schools and medical are not important at this time.
Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin