Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 12:41 PM

385 posts, read 1,248,079 times

Advertisements

I would die for a Sprouts, Sun Harvest or anything like that near me. I'm surrounded by HEBs and it's getting me down! They have this huge empty Albertson's on the corner of Anderson Mill and 183. It's been sitting empty for at least a couple years. Grrrrr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 04:20 PM
aud

3 posts, read 6,457 times
I love Newflower. I've been every week since opening day. The sales are awesome, and usually on the organic produce. The meat selection is great and all natural. HEB cannot compare and from past experience neither can Central Market or Sun Harvest. I won't even comment on Whole Foods. If you haven't been you should go, it has calmed down and its a great experience. We have needed something like this in S. Austin for sometime. If you shop the sales you can really eat healthy for cheaper than you can buy HEB substandard produce and meat. There really isn't any comparison.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I don't think HEB is substandard. They try to use Texas produce like grapefruit and strawberries when in season. And HEB has the natural raised meat in their butcher dept that I pick up sometimes when I can't make Sunset Valley to get meat.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:36 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I belong to a community garden meetup and the group admin. said there is something coming to RR. Can't remember if she said Sprouts or Sun Harvest but it did start with S Think I'll ask her which one it is.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:36 PM
aud

I am just comparing the organic produce and the natural meat selection. HEB does not have good organic produce and what they have is very limited. The natural meat selection is a small limited area compared to an entire meat market of natural meat. Have you been to Newflower?

Old 04-04-2009, 04:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aud View Post
I am just comparing the organic produce and the natural meat selection. HEB does not have good organic produce and what they have is very limited. The natural meat selection is a small limited area compared to an entire meat market of natural meat. Have you been to Newflower?
No. I go to Sunset Valley and buy directly from the local farmers in the area.
I buy my meat from them as well.

When RR and Taylor Farmer markets are open I go to them as well. I always try to buy local directly from the farmer when I can. I have a freezer full of chickens that grew up in Rockdale

Old 04-04-2009, 04:49 PM
aud

Its nice to support our local farmers. I have been to Sunset Valley many times and the prices are much higher. I guess if I could afford it I would do the same. I have very limited time so I really appreciate having Newflower because I can do one stop shopping for the most part it fits my budget and my time constraints. I am fortunate that its close by. Another neat thing is that they have stores in New Mexico also and they get tamales and burritos with green chile and red New Mexican chile and its the real deal. I guess I just hooked!

Old 04-04-2009, 04:50 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't think HEB is substandard. They try to use Texas produce like grapefruit and strawberries when in season. And HEB has the natural raised meat in their butcher dept that I pick up sometimes when I can't make Sunset Valley to get meat.
The meat and produce at HEB is overpriced for the quality; it's not bad, but Sun Harvest and Newflower are both much cheaper for the same or better quality.

HEB is cheaper for the dry goods and prepared stuff.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:27 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aud View Post
Its nice to support our local farmers. I have been to Sunset Valley many times and the prices are much higher. I guess if I could afford it I would do the same. I have very limited time so I really appreciate having Newflower because I can do one stop shopping for the most part it fits my budget and my time constraints. I am fortunate that its close by. Another neat thing is that they have stores in New Mexico also and they get tamales and burritos with green chile and red New Mexican chile and its the real deal. I guess I just hooked!
Seriously? We love that stuff, but it's hard to come by around here except for when H.E.B does the roastings once a year. We just buy a bushel and freeze them. Think I'll tell my husband so the next time he's out venturing around Austin for work (luckily this is several times a week) then he can go check it out. We're on our last batch of frozen green chile.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:44 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,599 times
It reminds me a little of Trader Joe's but not as good. I have to drive out of my way to go there so I haven't been back since the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin