Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:20 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Is this viewpoint what people are talking about when they say someone has "austitude?"
I always thought it meant the person thinks Austin is the best place to live in the US, including places like Seattle, Portland, NYC, SF, etc.. If it means thinking Austin is superior to other Texas cities based on that person's preferences, then well... so be it! I've seen plenty of Housitude and Dallitude show up on the Austin board as well.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:39 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
.. If it means thinking Austin is superior to other Texas cities based on that person's preferences...
But that's not what you said. You said the rest of the state was boring and ugly.
I just don't get that... it's like someone in Sacramento CA saying the rest of CA is boring / has nothing going for it (i.e. acting like SF and L.A. basically don't exist).
This rather unrealistic boosterism is why some people come to Austin with such unrealistic expectations!

Old 02-27-2009, 01:47 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
I have to agree with the OP. I like Austin, but I think it is overhyped.

Two points I whole-heartedly agree with:

The weird thing - what's ironic about this is that what's considered weird here is so common in other places that it's not weird. What that says to me is that the vast majority of the population and areas are so mundane, that any slight variation is considered an oddity.

The hill country - the first time I drove through the Hill Country, I asked when we were going to get there. I actually laughed when I was told that we were smack-dab in the middle of it. From all the hoopla I had read about the Hill Country, I was expecting hills like I had never seen before, not hills that would not even be noticed in other parts of the country.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:10 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,202 times
I think it's kind of funny when people expect mountains in Hill Country... It's not the Sierra Nevada or the Rockies. That's why they're called hills!

Old 02-27-2009, 02:37 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
the first time I drove through the Hill Country, I asked when we were going to get there. I actually laughed when I was told that we were smack-dab in the middle of it.
I don't see the humor, but I'm dry as West Texas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2656171201_f4f65f2b84.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	36953

Old 02-27-2009, 02:38 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
The hill country - the first time I drove through the Hill Country, I asked when we were going to get there. I actually laughed when I was told that we were smack-dab in the middle of it. From all the hoopla I had read about the Hill Country, I was expecting hills like I had never seen before, not hills that would not even be noticed in other parts of the country.
I felt the same way when I visited the Ozarks! But they call them mountains... which is a bit more misleading IMO.

The Hill Country moniker makes total sense if (like so many things) you are comparing to Texas. It's called the Hill Country because the rest of the state to the N/S/E is so flat -- it definitely stands out compared to that terrain.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:57 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Default don't waste your efforts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
But that's not what you said. You said the rest of the state was boring and ugly.
I just don't get that... it's like someone in Sacramento CA saying the rest of CA is boring / has nothing going for it (i.e. acting like SF and L.A. basically don't exist).
This rather unrealistic boosterism is why some people come to Austin with such unrealistic expectations!
AK123 I understand your frustration very well but I have come to realize that it is a HUGE waste of time trying to add insight to a narrow mind! At least we are well traveled and be thankful that not everyone is so narrow...unfortunately as you read a lot are

Old 02-27-2009, 03:19 PM

160 posts, read 365,808 times
I have lived in the Bay Area (in SF, Oakland, and Berkeley) and in Austin. I loved the urban planning, architecture, and living without a car in the Bay Area. Austin has a long way to go before it is as walkable as the Bay Area (maybe the most pedestrian friendly city in America).

That being said Austin has the more friendly and open minded people and a much better nightlife. The amount of bars, clubs, live music venues packed into downtown is overwhelming and the people inside the bars are super friendly. I can not imagine a better place to be single. The natural beauty also seems much more accessable with Town Lake, the Greenbelt, and various dog parks stretched throughout the city.

I can see where the OP is coming from and congragulate them on being open minded enough to consider a move to "Texas", seeing as how most of the people I met while attending Berkeley loathed the thought of even entering the state.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:54 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
I think it's kind of funny when people expect mountains in Hill Country... It's not the Sierra Nevada or the Rockies. That's why they're called hills!
But I really wasn't expecting mountains. They just aren't very big hills. Maybe they are for Texas, true. But for people coming from other places, they are really not impressive, even for hills.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:17 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
I think you should have to drive across either flat east Texas or flat west Texas first, then when you encounter the Hill Country, it will seem hilly!

And it is called "The Texas Hill County" not "the most perfect example of the concept of hilliness ever witnessed"

It is what it is.

It took YEARS for Austin and Texas to grow on me. And now, we'd never leave. We could transfer to SJ/SF in a heartbeat, but now, nowhere else feels like Austin. And Austin feels like home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin