Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,019 times

Advertisements

I've been here 29 years and it's just getting better! You could always compromise and live in the burbs where I am now in between both. They're only about an hour apart depending on the part of town you going to/from.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:03 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
SA overall is better but Austin is more alternative

Old 03-19-2009, 12:51 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I don't see how you can say that San Antonio isn't green. A drive down 281 through the middle of Olmos Park, 5 minutes from downtown? SA is a beautiful city, the museums are wonderful, the people are super friendly. You can't really compare Austin and SA because one is still 'small town' and the other is a big city. I think there is more to do in SA for families. The medical facilities are wonderful, there's great shopping, the Riverwalk is too touristy for me, but it can also be fun. The thing I love about SA is that if you live in SA, you live in SA- it's not like Austin, where you might say "I live in Austin", but you really live in RR, or Pflugerville, or Dripping Springs. That doesn't happen in SA. You might say you live in a neighborhood, but everyone lives in SA.

What about the nearly 500,000 people that live in the bedroom cities or suburbs adjacent to San Antonio? Schertz, Universal City, Live Oak, Leon Valley, Helotes, Boerne, Kirby, Alamo Heights, Olmos Park, Terrel Hills, Hollywood Park,New Braunfels and so on.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:11 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I don't see how you can say that San Antonio isn't green. A drive down 281 through the middle of Olmos Park, 5 minutes from downtown? SA is a beautiful city, the museums are wonderful, the people are super friendly. You can't really compare Austin and SA because one is still 'small town' and the other is a big city. I think there is more to do in SA for families. The medical facilities are wonderful, there's great shopping, the Riverwalk is too touristy for me, but it can also be fun. The thing I love about SA is that if you live in SA, you live in SA- it's not like Austin, where you might say "I live in Austin", but you really live in RR, or Pflugerville, or Dripping Springs. That doesn't happen in SA. You might say you live in a neighborhood, but everyone lives in SA.
Just a personal opinion of course. I think having lived in both I can definitely see the scenic differences in both and Austin is far greener so when you look at the two SA is no where close. Driving down Olmos is not at all impressive. It's old and historic but turn down the street and it's old and rundown. I do have appreciation for the age and history of many neighborhoods in SA, but sorry people, you have to take pride in your neighborhood and keep it maintained. Like I said, I'm from SA and lived there forever and I've seen it all. And you're right. The Riverwalk is waaay too touristy.

Have you ever lived in Austin? The shopping in SA is a bunch of chains, while that is not the case here. Sure there's North Star, LaCantera, the Quarry, etc, but they are nothing unique. The warehouse district here and near the Triangle have much better options that are far more one-of-a-kind. I've seen some boutiques here or there, but the styles imo only are so tacky. I do agree SA's medical facilities are great. I do like the Med Center area a lot, but hopefully most people don't need to visit hospitals that often.

There are fantastic activities here that aren't in SA-for kids and adults and all ages in between. And to be unbiased, the museums in SA are a joke. They aren't that great here either. For truly great museums, you're better off in a more metropolitan city. Plus if you're a water lover, you can go boating, water ski, or just chill out by one of the lakes. It's beautiful b/c you have the beautiful greenbelt right behind you. If you're a music lover we have the amazing SXSW here and ACL and the film festival, wine festival,etc. I've done Fiesta, but it can't compare.

And just to set the record straight for people not familiar with either, Austin is not a small town. It is a med. size city. People here are super friendly too. I think that's just a TX thing for the most part. And really who cares if those in Round Rock or Dripping Springs say they're from Austin? My friends from Bandera don't say they live in Bandera.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:13 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy38 View Post
Thanks everyone! well my decision is getting much easier! lol
Honestly everyone wants something different in a city or what I value most, the other may not. As I'm sure you already know, they're only an hour apart. I do recommend spending time in both before you decide.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:14 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
Just a personal opinion of course. I think having lived in both I can definitely see the scenic differences in both and Austin is far greener so when you look at the two SA is no where close. Driving down Olmos is not at all impressive. It's old and historic but turn down the street and it's old and rundown. I do have appreciation for the age and history of many neighborhoods in SA, but sorry people, you have to take pride in your neighborhood and keep it maintained. Like I said, I'm from SA and lived there forever and I've seen it all. And you're right. The Riverwalk is waaay too touristy.

Have you ever lived in Austin? The shopping in SA is a bunch of chains, while that is not the case here. Sure there's North Star, LaCantera, the Quarry, etc, but they are nothing unique. The warehouse district here and near the Triangle have much better options that are far more one-of-a-kind. I've seen some boutiques here or there, but the styles imo only are so tacky. I do agree SA's medical facilities are great. I do like the Med Center area a lot, but hopefully most people don't need to visit hospitals that often.

There are fantastic activities here that aren't in SA-for kids and adults and all ages in between. And to be unbiased, the museums in SA are a joke. They aren't that great here either. For truly great museums, you're better off in a more metropolitan city. Plus if you're a water lover, you can go boating, water ski, or just chill out by one of the lakes. It's beautiful b/c you have the beautiful greenbelt right behind you. If you're a music lover we have the amazing SXSW here and ACL and the film festival, wine festival,etc. I've done Fiesta, but it can't compare.

And just to set the record straight for people not familiar with either, Austin is not a small town. It is a med. size city. People here are super friendly too. I think that's just a TX thing for the most part. And really who cares if those in Round Rock or Dripping Springs say they're from Austin? My friends from Bandera don't say they live in Bandera.

Fiesta a joke? Try over 3.5 million attend the 100 plus events. Musuems a Joke? The first Smithsonian outside D.C., and a San Antonio Art musem that houses the largest Asian collection in the southwest, is far from a joke. Plus the city has three downtown arts districts and the largest downtown theatre district in Texas, with four restored vaudeville theatre palaces.
San Antonio has the edge with it's number of festivals but it's close though. The Riverwalk is in a league of it's own, where no Texas city can touch, can't help that out of town visitors flock to it. Locals enjoy it as well.
San Antonio terrain is just as green, it is the only city in the country that sits on four different named terrains, it has so many different looks. Of course the drought has taken a lot of the green away.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 03-24-2009 at 02:25 AM..

Old 03-24-2009, 06:13 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
There is no doubt that SA has more culture and the neighborhood are far superior to Austin but it is mentality that seperate the two cities. Austin has Sixth Street but SA has more bars than any other city in Texas. There is nothing in Austin like the Jefferson Woodlawn area with the Palms trees. Olmos Park, Terrell Hills, Alamo Heights, Castle Hills, Shavano Parks>Westlake. SA really is a hidden gem that needs to market itself. Don't get me wrong I like Austin, own property there, have live there but Austin is not Paris as it locals seem to think so. I guess I remember Austin when it was just a scrawny little cool ass city before all the hype ruin it

Old 03-24-2009, 07:42 AM

160 posts, read 365,753 times
Austin has about ~1.7 million people according to the new Census. San Antonio has about ~2.0 million. The two cities are pretty much the same size. If you walk around the downtown and central areas of town then Austin actually feels a bit bigger.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:47 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
What about the nearly 500,000 people that live in the bedroom cities or suburbs adjacent to San Antonio? Schertz, Universal City, Live Oak, Leon Valley, Helotes, Boerne, Kirby, Alamo Heights, Olmos Park, Terrel Hills, Hollywood Park,New Braunfels and so on.
When I grew up in SA 3o+ years ago, AH, OP, TH, HP were all SA neighborhoods. The other cities you mention were considered cities of their own. If you lived in Leon Valley, you said you lived in Leon Valley- not San Antonio. I guess times change.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:53 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post

To each his/her own. I've lived in both SA (30 years) and Austin (15 years) and see the merits of each. The San Antonio I know has wonderful shopping all over, great restaurants, historic neighborhoods, the McNay/SAMA, excellent doctors, an international airport with great fares, and other things. Austin has a great park system, fewer but still interesting shops and restaurants, the lake and is smaller and easier to get around. I love them both, and I'm not looking to leave either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin