Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:22 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,815 times

Advertisements

well THIS Californian supports any law making it illegal to use a cell phone while driving. i have read that driving while on your cell phone is worse than driving drunk.
Cell phone talking worse than driving drunk - study - Tom's Hardware

Old 04-26-2009, 08:03 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
?
No, not broken. We have laws on the books, lets enforce them. We have a category called 'negligence'. Negligence can come from using the phone, changing a CD, yelling at kids in the back seat, putting on makeup, eating, using alcohol...the list is endless. Are you going to make ALL those things illegal in a car because they MIGHT cause an accident? Doesn't it just seem more logical to enforce laws against negligent driving??
What really would seem logical is people using common sense, something that is not happening too much these days. If they'd just drive and pay attention, there would be less accidents....I have no doubt about that.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:45 AM

36 posts, read 99,276 times
Let me assure you, driving while on a cell is not more dangerous than driving drunk-- or tired. People need to use common sense while on their cell, but what seems to be happening is that some don't so we'll take this privilege away from everyone else.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:47 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingLA2010 View Post
well THIS Californian supports any law making it illegal to use a cell phone while driving. i have read that driving while on your cell phone is worse than driving drunk.
Cell phone talking worse than driving drunk - study - Tom's Hardware
Welcome to Texas. Leave your nanny state behind....can't you see what that mentality has done to California???

Old 04-26-2009, 09:54 AM

Let's ban car seats. They obviously don't work.

Infant Fatalities Illustrate Car Seats' Shortcomings

Let's exterminate squirrels. They cause accidents. Better yet, let's set up a government agency to tag and license them.

Confused squirrel causes three-car accident - South Whidbey Record

While we're at it, we can get rid of old people, too.

Older, dangerous drivers a growing problem - USATODAY.com

And let's pull out those CD players and radios!

Car Accidents Music, Song, Radio, Driver Distraction by Entertainment Media

Old 04-26-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Welcome to Texas. Leave your nanny state behind....can't you see what that mentality has done to California???
?

Old 04-26-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingLA2010 View Post
?
Any time a government institutes a 'nanny state' law designed to 'take care of you', be it against cell phones, transfats, smoking, etc., that government has to fund the police, judicial and clerical jobs to enforce it. Those offices take money. Where does that money come from? You and me. California is nearly bankrupt because of its nanny state mentality. Moving ever toward the nanny state (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2007/03/09/EDGRJN7ATQ1.DTL&type=politics - broken link)

Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,889 times
Quote:
?
Doesn't it just seem more logical to enforce laws against negligent driving??
Yes it would, but when was the last time those were enforced?

Most of the bans in place are against handheld cell phone use. In other words, you can still use the phone if you have some type of hands-free device. If you aren't holding it to your head (that's half the problem while driving), then there is no violation. So far only 5 states have a statewide ban.

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/l...hone_laws.html

By the way, this is one of the few countries were it hasn't been banned yet.

http://www.cellular-news.com/car_bans/

Another driver's imagined right to yikkity *** and chitty chat ends with my right to drive on a public road without being struck by another vehicle, or having to swerve into another lane at the risk of being hit. It's about responsibility, discipline, consideration for others, safety, and the realization that no one person owns the road as their personal phone booth. Not to mention, the addiction makes any grown adult look like a teenager who can't let go of a video game.

Last edited by nomore07; 04-26-2009 at 11:14 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
When is the last time you saw anyone pulled over for "negligent driving"? It's not enforced any more.

I don't care whether or not there is a law, just hang up and drive!
I saw a Hummer just this weekend get pulled over. I don't know if it was for negligence, but he was weaving in and out mopac traffic really close.

I would say, to myself and others, PAY ATTENTION when you're driving.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Any time a government institutes a 'nanny state' law designed to 'take care of you', be it against cell phones, transfats, smoking, etc., that government has to fund the police, judicial and clerical jobs to enforce it. Those offices take money. Where does that money come from? You and me. California is nearly bankrupt because of its nanny state mentality. Moving ever toward the nanny state (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2007/03/09/EDGRJN7ATQ1.DTL&type=politics - broken link)

i see it benefiting other drivers as well as pedestrians not just the single driver....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin