Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:21 PM

61 posts, read 300,412 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Chicago in three weeks (!) and will be renting a house in Round Rock. We have two children as well (5 and 1.5) so schools were important. My wife is a CRNA and will be working at Scott & White (she graduated from Rush University in December). We researched every city in the US and felt like our situation was best served in the Austin area; we're really excited about the move! Even though we love the city there are a lot of things we're sick of in Chicago, many of which you mentioned in your initial post. Take a look at Scott & White if you're looking for a job as we've heard really good things and my wife loved it when she interviewed. Look me up if you decide to make the move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 01:34 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
For less than 200k you will be in the midst the kind of urban sprawl or crime you are trying to escape. Austin is great but it is not perfect.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:21 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,037,405 times
Good luck! I moved from Chicago in 2007, and am happy in many ways about the move, though I miss many things I'll never have here, that I had in Chicago....per sports, everything is "hook em horns" 24-7, which took some getting used to after having a full slate of pro teams...very much a college sports town...of which either you are with it or against it....with no other options.........
missed the live theater....museums.....unique older neighborhoods and history......the lakefront.......
the bikability, with chicago's lakefront paved trails in city and rail-to-rail ones in the suburbs....and not much at all in Austin, and not bike friendly per riding on streets.....extremely dangerous to ride bikes on city streets in Austin......okay....now, what do I like about Austin?

A ton......the people are great...very intelligent folks.....lots of festivals....great unique eateries......
a fun mix of relocatees from all over you can meet.....nice local texans too......and, mostly, the music.......very much most of all the music..........Austin can best be understood as Music itself...
as it certainly seems to live for it.........One of the top 5 musical cities, along with Nashville, New Orleans, Memphis and a few others..........I used to read a lot, but, when I moved to Austin, I essentially stopped doing that, as there was just so much to do......and haven't really picked one up yet.............Chicago is far more a "reader" city, where people can be seen reading newspapers and books everywhere, especially on the northside and DT.......In austin, people far prefer to listen to music, talk, and eat, not necessarily in that order, and usually all at once.........here, you can chuck the book, and get out into the real world and DO something.......

Come out here! You will miss Chicago, but grow to love Austin for what it itself is.........and find yourself changing in the process, becoming someone else you were "NOT" in Chicago...

Good Luck!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Default Curse the readers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
In austin, people far prefer to listen to music, talk, and eat, not necessarily in that order, and usually all at once.........here, you can chuck the book, and get out into the real world and DO something
Yes curse the literate and intellectual!

Cognitive dissonance going on here? Austin didn't change who I am. I am every bit the NY metro area guy I was when I moved down here. And, save it, I am already moving back.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:05 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Bastrop is the place you want to be. Historic (actually the first city established in area as part of the Stephen F. Austin land grant-which was taken over from the Baron de Bastrop's 1823 land grant and was one attack away from being the capital city.)

Small town, w/ big town idea's. Friendly neighbors and lot's of space, with soccer, football, and baseball all played within 3 miles of each other. It's a 45 minute commute to downtown in the morning's, but it's all moving and very rarely stop and go unless there's a wreck...or you get stuck behind a school bus. Argh! Most of the time lost is actually getting into Austin traffic by the airport.

I also recommend Georgetown, especially as there is a Scott & White hospital at near the IKEA on I-35.

South-wise, there is Kyle, Buda or even San Marcos which is a college town with great appeal and the most awesome San Marcos river which orginates from a spring fed off of the Edwards aquifer.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:13 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yes curse the literate and intellectual!

Cognitive dissonance going on here? Austin didn't change who I am. I am every bit the NY metro area guy I was when I moved down here. And, save it, I am already moving back.

"Farewell, fair cruelty."

Thanks for coming. Thanks for going.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,019 times
Default Try Kyle

I currently live in this area which is about 10 miles south of Austin via Interstate 35. My commute to downtown during rush hour is 35-45 minutes.

Many of the things you're looking for are in Kyle and there is a new medical center about 3 miles from my home currently under construction due to open later this year.

If interested I'm also selling my home (shameless plug) which you can see here: 191 Greenbrier Dr, Kyle, TX, 78640 - MLS ID#9783846 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/191-Greenbrier-Dr_Kyle_TX_78640_1107194026 - broken link)

I'll be glad to provide details on Kyle if you're really interested in the area. Just email me at italley AT mailbmc DOT com. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2009, 10:42 PM

347 posts, read 1,567,540 times
I really like Cedar Park. There should be quite a bit in your price range and the schools are good. There is a nice new hospital in town and another not too far away on 183 (what's the name of it? The one by Costco.) There are a lot of SAHMs here, so your wife will have company during the day, opportunities for playgroups, etc. It's not as keeping up with the Joneses as Chicago tends to be. Lake Travis, which is huge and great for boating, is right here. There are a couple of places to launch a boat within five or ten minutes.

I've lived here for almost a year and a half now and I love it. Hope to stay forever. Everybody is so friendly. Even the dorky 16 year olds bagging groceries are polite (everybody says "yes maam") and they actually make eye contact and smile. Most people here would rather chit-chat than sit and read a book. I think that's a good thing.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:03 AM

804 posts, read 1,965,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' Roll RN View Post
I would very much like my children to have a youth that is more focused around running through yards and over chain-link fences, getting ice cream after a bike ride, and watching fireworks at the beach, rather than keeping up with the Joneses.
This is rapidly changing as Austin is being changed to suit the tastes of transplants from LA and Dallas, who expect you to keep up with the Joneses. There are smaller towns beyond the suburbs that may be better suited, but you may be hard pressed to find work or accomodations in those areas.

Last edited by nomore07; 05-11-2009 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin