Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:20 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,038,319 times

Advertisements

Saw some pretty rough numbers today on the trib's website..

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,2775971.story

.....the nation is experiencing what can only be called massive bloodletting per job loss........Is Austin AND Texas a crying nation's last hope? Can we thank the good lord that we have enough jobs in the state to provide for all these displaced? Thank God we are in a position to provide a major refuge for all these poor folks....our arms are open, and we welcome them all to our fine state, the ONLY one humming, and evidentally able to absorb all these folks with living-wage jobs, AND a low-cost of living to boot......
Thank you, Texas, for giving an an entire nation hope AND jobs!

Last edited by inthecut; 03-28-2009 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 04:24 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
Seems like being "bacwards and redneck" paid off I'm being totally sarcastic, btw!

Old 03-28-2009, 05:01 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,002,897 times
must be all that oil went to their brain.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:08 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,062,834 times
I'm not finding in the article where it says everyone is moving to Texas.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:32 PM

34 posts, read 111,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I'm not finding in the article where it says everyone is moving to Texas.
Exactly.

In fact, it will be very interesting to see how the actual #'s shake out as this year progresses. Due to the national recession, alot of people are NOT moving anywhere. I just read an article last week that basically said that fewer people have been moving in the past 6 months due to the economy. This trend is likely to continue as folks struggle with upside down mortgages and smaller savings from which to draw from.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:15 PM

979 posts, read 2,956,224 times
It's pretty difficult for people to move when they can't sell their house in the city they are wishing to flee from.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:50 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,022,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
It's pretty difficult for people to move when they can't sell their house in the city they are wishing to flee from.

exactly! the historically high 69% homeownership in 2008 has locked people into place and stagnated the labor market. There is a direct relationship between nations with the highest homeownership rate and unemployment. Spain has the highest HO-ship rate in Europe, and also is suffering with a 14% national UR. Pick up this weeks issue of the Economist and read about it.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:22 AM

144 posts, read 331,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
My wife and I have a (relatively) low mortgage payment and moved out here in January..just signed a contract this weekend to sell our home in Atlanta. It's been pretty stressful..i can only hope it actually sells.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:12 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Default Good greif

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
.....the nation is experiencing what can only be called massive bloodletting per job loss........Is Austin AND Texas a crying nation's last hope? Can we thank the good lord that we have enough jobs in the state to provide for all these displaced? Thank God we are in a position to provide a major refuge for all these poor folks....our arms are open, and we welcome them all to our fine state, the ONLY one humming, and evidentally able to absorb all these folks with living-wage jobs, AND a low-cost of living to boot......
Thank you, Texas, for giving an an entire nation hope AND jobs!
Are you trying to nauseate people? I travel all over the country for work and I have yet to hear anyone say they are moving to Texas from relief from the economy. I realize this is just me-- however-- this is some ridiculous and overdramatic verbiage here.

There is no way Texas can absorb the jobs from everywhere else in the country. Unemployment continues to rise here, if you haven't heard...

Old 03-29-2009, 12:05 PM

76 posts, read 146,925 times
I can find information on the Internet too.

"Relocation.com Predicts Top Cities People will move to in 2009"

Relocation.com Predicts Top Cities People Will Move to in 2009; Las Vegas is Top... | Reuters

Quote:
Relocation.com Predicts Top Cities People Will Move to in 2009; Las Vegas is
Top Destination for Movers
Quote:
Although the recession has spared no one area of the country,
cities in the West and South continue to appeal to people
relocating, whether it is moving to take a new job or finding
a new home with more solid economic opportunities. Las Vegas
was followed in popularity by: Denver, Charlotte, N.C., Phoenix
/Mesa, Portland, Ore., Seattle, Orlando, Fla., Washington, D.C.,
Atlanta and Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg, Fla. The results are
largely consistentwith 2007.

"Relocation.com has a unique perspective on consumer moving
patterns. We connect them with service providers, but also
track interest and trends, ranging from family and home size,
to locations where people are moving," said Sharon (Ron) Asher,
chairman and founder, Relocation.com.
2008-2009 Top Relocation Cities

From what this article says it looks like Austin is the 5th most moved to city in America

Real Estate Blog - 2008 - 2009 Top Relocation Cities

Quote:
#5 - Austin, Texas
It was only a matter of time before Austin moved into the top 5 of best
relocation cities. It moved up 1 spot from #6, due to very low real estate
prices, great job potential, plus the city just "rocks!"

So sure, people are moving to Austin. Why? Because it seems to be a
great little city with lots of real personality, lower cost of living, great living
conditions, good home prices, and a good economy. But the entire nation
is not moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin