Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:46 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times

Advertisements

Both north and south austin are considered middle class - which one is better? Both have their good and bad neighborhoods, north is more inhabited/sprawling, south is more rural/closer to nature, but they seem identical in cost of housing, quality of life. Does anyone agree/disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 11:12 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Hoo-boy! This could be a can of worms. Anyone remember the old tug-of-wars between north and south Austin?

South Austin used to be more working class than north austin. This was when south austin didn't extend much past Ben White. South Austin was where you found auto body shops, auto parts shops, and lots of mechanics. South Congress was not SoCo, it had dirty movie theaters, motels by the hour, and regular scandals involving elected officials from the State leg getting caught with prostitutes. Travis Heights was mainly solid working class folks with a few hippies, musicians, and pot dealers thrown in. Those were the days . . . this is long before Circle C and all the other developments over the aquifer in SW Austin. Anyway, where was I? Lost in reverie.

I have always lived south, we considered moving to mildly funky Allandale or Crestview last year or Hyde Park. But it took my real estate agent 6 solid months of talking to get me to look north of the river and west of Mopac!

I was recently at an orientation for Meals on Wheels volunteers and was surprised by all the people who never ever come south of the river! (It isn't all auto body shops anymore). So I do not know what to tell you. North Austin was historically where all the lawyers, doctors, UT professors, and gov't types lived. But those distinctions certainly do not hold any more.

I would no sooner live in Jester or River Place than I would Circle C! I have to leave those comparisons to others.

Close in central north Austin has better schools than most of close in south austin, particularly at the high school level. But Barton Hills and Zilker track to Austin High just like Tarrytown and Pemberton Heights.

I am distrustful of places that look too clean and neat and tidy, so funky south Austin feels like home. But there are certainly places in north central austin where I would be happy too. Everything that is "far out" (past Ben Whilte, past 183, past 360) feels foreign to me.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:16 AM

786 posts, read 2,761,844 times
I guess the north gives you more of a suburban feel with most amenities fairly close but the areas merging into each other. The south outside of Austin will be more of a country feel with strips of green belt or lower density buildings in between Austin and surrounding areas, but you have to go farther to get places.

This is based on limited exposure to the northern parts of Austin/Round Rock.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:21 AM

675 posts, read 1,905,033 times
I would agree with what Centralaustinite said. I would add that I think once you get into suburbs, it's all about whatever your personal preference is. We moved southwest, (west of Mopac, just north of Circle C) because we like the nature, scenery, and the lack of huge strip malls and chain restaurants. However, since we moved quite a bit has changed. They have built a lot of new shopping and new restaurants down there, however- it doesn't feel as dense and run-down to me.

We also like that we can live closer to Central Austin. In the Southwest suburbs, it only takes about 8 minutes to get to Zilker Park, and 10-15 to get to the heart of downtown Austin. Whereas, for the same price of house - if you want to move north - you have to live further out. This is just because the north grew and became more sprawling long before southwest did. In other words, I think it's more affordable to be "closer in" living southwest. A house in Village of Western Oaks or Circle C or any of the areas down there will cost the same as a house in Round Rock or Cedar Park. If you live in either of those towns, chances are you won't be spending much time in Austin at all, because those worlds exist unto themselves. But if you live Southwest, central Austin can still be your playground. (But that depends on how far out you live.)

The schools in the southwest are excellent. But so are the northwest schools. There's more shopping and more places to eat out, more movie theaters, etc. up north. I suspect that before too long, southwest is going to be just as crowded and sprawling as north. But this economic recession is probably going to slow down a lot of that.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:32 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
North Austin became suburban sooner than South Austin; so, newer neighborhoods and inexpensive housing are farther from downtown if you go North. However, because it grew earlier there are more satellite areas in N Austin (like the Arboretum) that you can live around and still be close to things.

I'd guess the population of North Austin is also significantly higher than South. Perhaps because of that, you will always the first locations of big nationwide chains opening up there first. Chances are that whatever the next chain like Ikea or Fry's might be, North Austin will get it first.

South Austin, to me, feels a little more small-town and more like the whole city used to be. Some people might like that, others won't.

Due East and West of central Austin (not considering any burbs) are 2 completely different stories from North and South; and they are like polar opposites. East is more affordable (except gentrified areas), urban, diverse, and has a little more grit and crime. West is expensive(and not gentrified; it's just always been that way), not very diverse, distinctly suburban and not walkable (even when really close to downtown), but very low crime and scenic.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:34 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
it only takes about 8 minutes to get to Zilker Park, and 10-15 to get to the heart of downtown Austin. Whereas, for the same price of house - if you want to move north - you have to live further out. This is just because the north grew and became more sprawling long before southwest did. In other words, I think it's more affordable to be "closer in" living southwest..
This definitely captures the current difference. Most of the growth in the 90's was up north so it is much more built out. The south has better deals close in to downtown.

The north has more technology folks and technology companies, is more suburban and yuppie-ish.

The north has better schools.

The north has the higher end shopping, but otherwise the amenities are about the same.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:43 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,907,544 times
actually more public schools scoring the highest SAT scores and highest quality are not int eh North, they are in the south. Look it up , Best schools in US

the north is more urban and industrial--not tech--tech is more out west and in the sunbelt.

higher than whole foods(austin); Neiman Marcus?

i dont think so, not in the north, Detroit, Philly, Pittsburgh, cleveland, indianaopolis??? no folks its back wards

Old 02-10-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
actually more public schools scoring the highest SAT scores and highest quality are not int eh North, they are in the south. Look it up , Best schools in US

the north is more urban and industrial--not tech--tech is more out west and in the sunbelt.

higher than whole foods(austin); Neiman Marcus?

i dont think so, not in the north, Detroit, Philly, Pittsburgh, cleveland, indianaopolis??? no folks its back wards
I was talking about North Austin vs. South Austin
sry for the confusion

If I might add: I was asking about North Austin vs. South Austin, not SW austin versus NW austin - I'm talking about the parts of North Austin and South Austin between Mopac and I-35 - Topography, housing stock, cleanliness, affordability, commute, anything you want to compare.

Last edited by jobert; 02-10-2009 at 12:07 PM..

Old 02-10-2009, 12:13 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post

If I might add: I was asking about North Austin vs. South Austin, not SW austin versus NW austin - I'm talking about the parts of North Austin and South Austin between Mopac and I-35 - Topography, housing stock, cleanliness, affordability, commute, anything you want to compare.
What is your northern and southern boundary? 183 to the north, Ben White to the south or further out? Have you never been to Austin?

Old 02-10-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
What is your northern and southern boundary? 183 to the north, Ben White to the south or further out? Have you never been to Austin?
Austin city limits

45 on the north
1626 on the south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin