Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2007, 10:43 AM

246 posts, read 1,248,376 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

After searching and researching we've come to the conclusion that Round Rock is the place we want to be. Our family (Him: IT Network Administrator and Me: HR Assistant/Generalist), 4 year old son, 2 year old shepherd/bully mix family pet. Just wondering what if any properties are being sold in the 150k-200k range in a nicer neighborhood (low crime, good schools, family-oriented neighborhoods). Also, what is the job situation for the type of job we do....I've heard there is stiff competition and it is hard to obtain a job but I wasn't sure. Another concern we had is diversity, we are Puerto Rican Americans and did not know if our race/ethnicity would be an issue in any specific area (we are not trying to upset anyone just wanted to know what we can expect), we've seen some posts mention discrimination but they are very vague in what they say and we didn't want to assume anything. We are both professional family-oriented people and our main concern is finding a good, low crime neighborhood with good schools for our son. Any and all comments are appreciated greatly!! =D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 11:33 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,066,251 times
I think you will find a lot in your price range (and what you are looking for in a community) in some areas of Round Rock, Pflugerville, Hutto - and maybe even Georgetown (though it does feel a little less diverse, and accepting up there - could just be my opinion) if you want to go North a bit.

All of those will have good schools, though Hutto is experiencing a lot of growth right now.

I don't know specifically about Network Administrators, but tech work, in general seems to be going strong here. He shouldn't have a problem.

There were some HR professionals on this forum who have mentioned having a hard time finding something - but being that I have been out of that work for some time to stay at home (ex recruiter and generalist here!), I don't know what the market status is!

Old 03-27-2007, 07:01 PM

Jenbar,

Thank you so much for the information, it is greatly appreciated.
I guess, I will just have to try an find work in other Administrative support areas but at least I'll be in a better and more family oriented situation there! :-)

Old 03-28-2007, 01:58 PM

28 posts, read 119,248 times
Hi,
My wife (Cuban American) is a Senior Manager at Dell and I have a lot of friends the live / work in the RR / PF area. If you are looking for Diverse, Hutto is probably not where you want to be. It has just begun it's transition from a small Texas town into a modern suburban community.
Good luck,
CJ

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 03-28-2007 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: Advertising.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:00 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,066,251 times
It's not that bad actually. It's grown from 1250 residents, to over 10,000 in a short period of time. Many of those people are young families, not local to TX - moved here for jobs, who want a nice, large house and could be first time buyers, without a down payment or just don't want to be overloaded with a large mortgage. We are in Hutto a lot - and like I said, it's not bad. I don't think you would have any problems.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:48 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
I live in Hutto. There are 17,000+. And it's pretty diverse. Very low crime. Not afraid to go for walks at night.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:28 AM

3 posts, read 11,235 times
You can get a lot for your money in Hutto, but it is a little far depend on where you end up working.

I am a realtor, and the Villiages of Brushy creek or Cat Hollow may be a good place to look because brushy creek elementary is exemplary. The new construction may push your price point a little but the resale should work.

As far as concerns with discrimination, in general, you have to remember we have a very diverse population, with being a university town and also the high tech industry in Round Rock brings in people from all over the world. I don't think you would have too much trouble anywhere around town.

In general, the job search may be a little competitve because we have a lot of folks moving in to this area, but you and your husband sound pretty well skilled. Good luck!

Old 03-30-2007, 10:36 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
I almost forgot about Brushy Creek. That's a nice neighborhood.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:13 PM

Thank you all so much, I will take a look at all of the areas mentioned and hopefully find our home soon!! =D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin