Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2007, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,044 times

Advertisements

Well, We have finally decided to head out east and take a look at Austin first hand. We are arriving on the 6th and returning to San Diego on the 10th.

We want to look at the towns, neighborhoods, and houses in the area. We are interested in looking to live in several areas such as buda, kyle, roundrock, Pflugerville, Cedar park, and Austin proper. The fiance also wants to look at Steiner ranch, and Lago vista but I think that is a bit out of our budget and may add a longer commute for work... I have not started looking at locations for employment yet but have seen that several technical positions that I am qualified for are in the general surrounding areas. I currently have a 40-45 minute commute and I am OK keeping that or extending it slightly if needed.

We will have our two children 4 & 14 in tow with us and we are looking for kid friendly neighborhoods to relocate to. Suggestions?? They are both great road warriors so long drives should not be an issue.

Here are the locations that we are most intersted in seeing during our visit, but I am unsure if we can get to all of them in our limited timeframe:

Salt Lick BBQ
Zilker Park
Stevie Ray Vaughn statue
Town Lake
Lake Travis
Lake Austin
Georgetown
Round Rock
Pflugerville
Kyle
Buda
Lago Vista
Steiner Ranch
Downtown Austin

Any suggestions are more than welcome. I will be heading to the local map shop to collect maps of central texas and begin to map our journey from the airport to our preferred locations this afternoon. We are thinking of staying in downtown Austin during our stay. Any prefrences on clean, affordable hotels? We will most likely just be sleeping there anyway as we have a large list of things to see..

If anyone can suggest the best way/routes to view and enjoy the area. please feel feel free to assist us. It would be appreciated!!

We are hoping that if our vist goes well, that we will to be moving to Austin sometime close to August. We will start by renting a house until we find our perfect location to plant our roots but your area seems like the perfect location for me to return to the south and for my family to take a deep breath, relax and get away from the rat race we live in here.

Pleae help if you can, we want this visit to allow us to see all of the beauty of the area and lure us into a feeling of truely being home in Austin and surrounding areas..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 10:42 AM

33 posts, read 160,504 times
Hello, have you considered staying in a vacation rental home or apartment? We have been doing this when visiting other cities, and it has always worked out well. VRBO.com has several listings for Austin. It's much more relaxing for my kid than staying in a hotel.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:29 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,281,831 times
VBRO is a great option!

Tell us where your fiance will be working so we can suggest places within a reasonable commute! Lago Vista would be really far out from anywhere, unless you're working in Cedar Park!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin