Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:55 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,710,108 times

Advertisements

Our 5th grade field trip to Fredricksburg for NEXT FRIDAY 5/8 has been cancelled by AISD, and MAYBE rescheduled to the 29th pending district approval.
Who knows what is really happening, but I did check out the CDC and WHO sites and it is easy to get caught up in the hysteria if you overthink it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 06:47 PM

1,784 posts, read 959,743 times
I have a suspicion that the schools are just trying cover their you know whats. If they do allow events to take place at their facilities and someone does get sick you can bet your bottom dollar they will get sued and in no time flat. Especially if the district is Eanes. So sorry, I have no problem with them cancelling a dance recital. Better safe than sorry.

Terri, an Eanes ISD parent.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:04 PM

468 posts, read 1,221,627 times
Everyone on this thread should keep in mind that the goal of closing public places is for containment. The idea is to contain the virus so that it dies out completely and is removed from the world forever (like smallpox), before it can mutate again into something worse. It is an attempt to nip things in the bud before it mutates. So of course it is better to close things now if the data suggests it, otherwise the alternative could be a worse flu.. Imagine if it stuck around forever like the normal flu does, rather than being contained & isolated from ever spreading; it would enter seasonal cycles as well, globally. That is why there may be closures even though "it is not even here yet".

Old 04-30-2009, 07:30 PM

743 posts, read 1,375,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
But it's the auditorium, not an althletic field. And it's also an elementary school, so they don't have organized athletics anyway. I've also heard that all field trips have been cancelled. How does the UIL affect a trip to a public place that's not at all sports-related? Not trying to sound snippy, it just doesn't make sense.
UIL covers a lot more than athletics (there are UIL academic competitions, etc.). Facilities included are more than athletic fields.

Bottom line, they are being cautious. Don't want to take chance on kids' health. Don't have the resulting legal expenses in the budget.

While they are certainly erring on the side of caution, I can't imagine that any one event our kids will miss---whether it be the "big game" or "big performance" is going to affect them in the long run. I know it's a bummer for your daughter, but our kids are often more resilient than we think.

ETA: I don't mean that in a snarky way at all, just trying to put all of this in perspective.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:00 PM

389 posts, read 1,573,006 times
So, in effect there is a far greater danger out there than this pandemic...

---lawyers!!!! ---

Cheers .. and sorry ...I couldnt resist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
I have a suspicion that the schools are just trying cover their you know whats. If they do allow events to take place at their facilities and someone does get sick you can bet your bottom dollar they will get sued and in no time flat. Especially if the district is Eanes. So sorry, I have no problem with them cancelling a dance recital. Better safe than sorry.

Terri, an Eanes ISD parent.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:33 PM

1,784 posts, read 959,743 times
Well, I am an attorney so I know of which I speak!

Terri

Old 04-30-2009, 08:36 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,455,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeSmartHippies View Post
Everyone on this thread should keep in mind that the goal of closing public places is for containment. The idea is to contain the virus so that it dies out completely and is removed from the world forever (like smallpox), before it can mutate again into something worse. It is an attempt to nip things in the bud before it mutates. So of course it is better to close things now if the data suggests it, otherwise the alternative could be a worse flu.. Imagine if it stuck around forever like the normal flu does, rather than being contained & isolated from ever spreading; it would enter seasonal cycles as well, globally. That is why there may be closures even though "it is not even here yet".
But that's the thing. They're not closing the schools. They are just eliminating certain things. If they were really interested in containment, they would be closing the schools as well. I don't see how a kid has a better chance of getting the virus by going to baseball practice than they do going to math or gym class.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:23 PM

313 posts, read 787,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Homeboy View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much. 1% of the US Population is only 3,000,000. I would rather not be one of those unfortunate souls.

Furthermore, I was reading that Spanish Flu killed between 50-100 million and the projections (worst case scenario) for this could be as high as 280 million worldwide.

I don't care if I get the flesh eating disease at the hospital. If I get the flu, I'm going to the hospital to get my antiviral meds and/or antibiotics, whatever I need.
nope, don't want be one of those unlucky souls either.

I just wanted to point out, since somebody brought up snake oil, I mean homeopathy, and avoiding modern medicine, that these modern medicines have reduced mortality rates significantly in Mexico and you should follow the advice of CDC as these people study this for a living and have real credientials to give you advice. Thier advice is to take the prescribed precautions made public to everyone, not panic.

My advice is don't let your irritation over media saturation drive your willingness to listen to medical professionals.

Last edited by paul6835; 04-30-2009 at 09:34 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 06:33 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,455,582 times
And the Spanish flu killed as many people as it did because back in 1918, we didn't have the meds we have now. If that outbreak were to happen today, the outcome would have been much, much different.

People still get the plague, for crying out loud. You just never hear about it because the problem is easily solved with medication.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:53 AM

260 posts, read 905,423 times
Quote:
Honestly, I am little suspect of this email. Why haven't we heard anything about osccillococinum or the other supplement mantioned being an effective preventative measures? Does this doc have some sort of financial stake?
I received that very same e-mail, forwarded from a friend in San Marcos. The actual e-mail has the doctor's name. I was planning to check it out with a surgeon friend I have in San Marcos. We talked about this e-mail last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin