Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 03:49 PM

37 posts, read 162,926 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have recently started looking into this area. Most of the information has been before our economy has gone in the toilet. So, I am wondering if any natives can recommend a good part of Austin to live in that is safe, quiet, and an older part of town would be fine too. I really don't want to live in the middle of the college parties. We are in our 40's and would be looking for rentals in a good neighborhood of under 700/month (preferably 650 or less) for a two bedroom.
I am in Florida and in a very nice residential neighborhood and am paying 635/month for a two bedroom duplex.
I am not concerned with purchasing a home or in need of schools.
My husband and I are into the eclectic/art/music scene. But, in other words, we like to go out on occasion, but we don't like the neighborhood to be full of loud parties.
So, if anyone could recommend a neighborhood, that would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 04:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
According to this Austin Apartments for Rent - Austin Apartments Reviews and Ratings

the average price for a 2 bedroom is around $950. I have seen a few listed a little over $700 in South Central Austin.

Take a look at this discussion thread. Information needed on areas to live in Austin

The thing is Austin is in high demand, lots of people want to move here (42,000 people per year) because the economy is doing better then the rest of the US, so there is a relative shortage of apartments and housing, which drives prices up. And the housing shortage is predicted to get worse in 2010.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:16 PM

I did see that thread, but they were limited by schools and jobs. I can work at most areas, and my husband works at home.
I keep finding info on rentals in the 600/range.
I am wondering if these are more privately owned duplexes and/or houses.
I would have no idea on how to find these.
Also, if someone could give me a good zip code that is safe to live in and low "party" factor, I could go from there too.
Thanks!

Old 05-03-2009, 05:51 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I would stay pretty far from Downtown, at least somewhere in the outer fringes. Austin is, after all, the music capital and music and parties are in a lot of places. A lot of the new condo dwellers around 6th street and environs have complained about the noise and now have caused the noise ordinances to be re inforced and there is currently some back and forth going on between musicians, city council and residents to have it repealed. Don't move near anywhere there is a club or a club with an outdoor patio for music. I'd say South Austin, but don't live near the Nutty Brown Cafe. Maybe further West Austin out around the Lake or something.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:26 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Try craigslist. I just did a search on 2 BR properties with a max of $700 and found several in the $600- $700 range. There were several listings in an area call Northwest or Arboretum, which is a nice area of town and would suit your needs.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 PM

Thank you moonlady, that is a GREAT start!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin