Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:45 PM

468 posts, read 1,221,224 times

Advertisements

This thread looked 100% like a troll to me, yet everyone seemed to take it as is. Bizarre....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 11:01 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,896,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeSmartHippies View Post
This thread looked 100% like a troll to me, yet everyone seemed to take it as is. Bizarre....
It makes sense in the context of her other posts; you can click on her handle and see them all. Otherwise, I'd be as skeptical as you.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:29 PM

988 posts, read 3,257,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeSmartHippies View Post
Austin has that effect on some people. My friend from California visited Austin for the first time 2.5 years ago and instantly fell in love with it. He promised that he would move here(there now). Now, he's been there for 6 months and is obsessed with Austin. He's gone to tons of local activities and is on cloud 9. Even though I got him a job immediately and it sucks to him, the euphoria of him living in Austin makes anything negative bearable. His facebook entries about Austin are actually pissing off his old California friends and family on how great Austin is. I don't think this is a troll thread. The car incident did sound a little fishy though

Old 06-04-2009, 11:37 PM

36 posts, read 119,331 times
Haha. I just read all of those messages. They're hilarious.
It took me a while to realize some weird things happened to me... I suspected the driver was very intoxicated (alcohol, or something...). I was merely crossing the street at a pedestrian crossing and this car stopped, then budged a little forward and then stopped and then budged forward a bit more and then stopped again. I sort of paused and thought- 'should I just turn back?'. But alas, I kept crossing and when I was in front of the pulsing car it budged yet again and knocked me on my ass. The driver (male, African American) quickly left his vehicle and picked stooped me up off the pavement. He was stuttering he was sorry, something about a pretty lady, and asked if I was "scratched". I examined my body. "No". He smiled and nodded, and sloppily got back into his car (Escalade, black). He poked his head out of his car when I had made it to the other side of the street, and did that sort of one motion wave. There were other people looking at me concerned, asking if I was alright and such. I was fine, and I never saw the Escalade again after the light went green.
As for my neighbors- what can I really say? They're nice, and the landlord knows they posess marijuana. Of course I had to give a weak cough every now and smile at him. At the end of my tour, he mentioned he understood the fumes bothered me, and mentioned he would be more than happy to detract $ 50 from monthly rent. It's realistic and sensible in my opinion...
I think anybody else could survive a night without air conditioning, but I simply couldn't. I was sweating and felt really gross, and ended up rinsing off and sleeping in the damp, cool, bathroom. The tub was excellent to use as a makeshift "water bed". Ha. What a great joke!
Anyway, I think it was a great trip. Not everywhere you go you are put into such awkward situations, but that's what made this one so great...
I think if nothing bad happened I couldn't be objective in my choice to live here. If that makes sense... But it does sound fabricated, I will admit.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:46 PM

36 posts, read 119,331 times
BTW-
Grocery prices are pretty good for the lower 48. I expected they'd be slightly jacked because of the economy, as with many other states, however I was pleasantly surprised.
As for Anchorage, food is pretty reasonable. A lot of stuff is simply meant to be bought at Costco, but the only things that are "expensive" here, is produce. Particularly, fruits. We can't grow that here, so if you want some delicious mangoes- it's just best that you either shop seasonally, or cough up...

Old 06-05-2009, 06:27 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,006,970 times
Ilikesmarthippies: While certainly no expert, I've been around the internet long enough to know that nothing should be unbelievable until proven so here in cyberspace. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

There were many times I was labeled as a troll when in fact I'm not. What calling someone a troll does is immediately discount that person as unworthy, untrustworthy, and to be ignored. Personally, I don't do that, (well, unless they annoy me too much)

Bizarre? You're kidding right? Cyberspace is the land of bizarre. What never used to see the light of day now shines on/in the internet.

When I think about it it continually amazes me in many ways. The globe is at our fingertips. Still I'm in awe of it. Want to see the ice shelf? It's a click away, want to see live bears on the other side of the world? It's a click away. It's endless, amazing, almost surreal. Surreal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Surreal being that cow with antlers. moo

To me it is akin to opening a book and then stepping in, being part of the plot.

Yah, I suppose that sounds weird but hey...I'm in the land of weird so I fit right in. Sign me: spazz

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 06-05-2009 at 07:37 AM..

Old 06-05-2009, 07:03 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,332,001 times
Wierd things do happen in Austin. I can't really explain it further than that, but they do. Welcome, Mickey you sound very chill.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:09 PM

174 posts, read 502,064 times
What do you think the source of that weirdness is ?

Old 06-05-2009, 03:25 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,025,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude72 View Post
That is most likely a rhetorical question: http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...g-problem.html

Old 06-05-2009, 04:29 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,332,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude72 View Post
I really don't know. I think people are just mellow and relaxed. The heat maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: