Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2007, 11:39 AM

395 posts, read 1,540,515 times

Advertisements

As some of you all might remember from my previous posts my family lived in Austin Texas from 98-2001. We lived in Runnymede apartments on Rutland. At the time we absalutley loved it.I walked everywhere-to get groceries, kids school, church ect. We could walk to the park and even to the doctors.The only time I did not like walking was after dark. We have always been a one car family so it was a godsend for me to be able to have so much within safe walking distance.

We are seriously considering returning to Austin if my husband gets approved for his disability income (we want to make certain that we will have at least a regular monthly income since I will have to look for work after we get there).

However I have read on this board that that particular area has really gone down hill with the crime like prostitution and drugs. My friend who used to live in the apartment above us has told me that Lanier High School has really gotten bad and she is building a house in Leander so that her daughter will not have to go there.

If it does work out for us to return to the Austin area we will most likely end up in one of the suburbs either north or south of the city as we know already that we cannot afford the kind of four bedroom home that we want. The north end of town is what we would be most familiar with so i know we will probably want to visit the old neighborhood for old times sake just not live there.

I guess my question is: Has that area really gotten that bad in the last five or six years or was it always that way and we just never noticed during our time there?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 12:32 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
I do not live in that area anymore, but used to have an apartment near Lamar and Rundberg in the early 90s. I always considered that area fairly rough, even then, so I suspect it is similar to what it was in the late 90s. There are some fairly nice areas (relatively speaking) and then there are the much worse areas, and they are in somewhat close proximity.

I suppose someone living in the area may have more specific advice for you, but in the early 90s, I would happily walk anywhere in the daytime and would be somewhat cautious at night, which sounds exactly like what you remember. Also, 'bad' areas in Austin are really nothing like 'bad' areas in many major cities.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:24 PM

I know! Here where we are in central Florida the county seat is about 30 miles away with a population of about 40,000 or so and it actually has a much higher crime index than Austin does even today. Most cities of a comparable size seem to have much higher crime rates.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:56 PM

982 posts, read 3,306,830 times
I don't know how it was before, but I don't like going to the east side of 35 on Rutland. My husband used to work in a building just down the road from Cameron/Rundberg, and about once a month (average) someone would have their car broken into. Mind you, this is during the day, with a security guard present. He was there for 6 years and beat the odds on that one - but there were several other employees there that dealt with it more than once.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:12 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,284 times
You couldn't tie me up and throw me anywhere on Rundberg.

I don't think it's really a place where you're going to get shot, but your car will definitely get broken into.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:09 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,124,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridamom1970 View Post
As some of you all might remember from my previous posts my family lived in Austin Texas from 98-2001. We lived in Runnymede apartments on Rutland. At the time we absalutley loved it.I walked everywhere-to get groceries, kids school, church ect. We could walk to the park and even to the doctors.The only time I did not like walking was after dark. We have always been a one car family so it was a godsend for me to be able to have so much within safe walking distance.

We are seriously considering returning to Austin if my husband gets approved for his disability income (we want to make certain that we will have at least a regular monthly income since I will have to look for work after we get there).

However I have read on this board that that particular area has really gone down hill with the crime like prostitution and drugs. My friend who used to live in the apartment above us has told me that Lanier High School has really gotten bad and she is building a house in Leander so that her daughter will not have to go there.

If it does work out for us to return to the Austin area we will most likely end up in one of the suburbs either north or south of the city as we know already that we cannot afford the kind of four bedroom home that we want. The north end of town is what we would be most familiar with so i know we will probably want to visit the old neighborhood for old times sake just not live there.

I guess my question is: Has that area really gotten that bad in the last five or six years or was it always that way and we just never noticed during our time there?
When I first moved to austin (97) I lived in that area. My bike was stolen off my second floor balcony and my car was vandalized. It was really cheap though

Old 04-12-2007, 06:27 AM

We would have had problems with our kids bikes being stolen too if I had not kept them indoors. Our vehicle was never broken into although my friends was vandalized (we thought it was the teenage kids of one of our neighbors who she had a beef with).

And now that I think about it I do recall one time when I was waiting for the city bus on Rundberg there was a teenage girl there talking to a man in a car. When he drove away she mentioned something to me about him offering her $50 to get in his car and show him where Ohlen Road was.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:18 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,558 times
I lived there for several years. Yes, it is not the best place in town to live. Not bad during the daytime, but night is a different matter. I am a big strong looking guy and even I got pursued once there wanting money. I had no cash on me but I had had enough of him pestering me so I threw down what I was holding and told him to bring it. It was stupid way to get rid of him but it worked that night.

For single women, do go out alone. Always in pairs and peferable with a man with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: