Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 11:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times

Advertisements

Rockport: the cut to the surf at Cedar Bayou!! The only place I have ever seen crystal clear water, to where you could see the blue crabs all over the the bottom, as we turned into the inlet of the surf. Horseshoe crabs, hermit crabs, rays, speckled trout, and red fish!! The best time I have ever had at the coast.
First time I have ever seen deer on the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 11:58 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
Can you go swimming in that type of water though????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Rockport: the cut to the surf at Cedar Bayou!! The only place I have ever seen crystal clear water, to where you could see the blue crabs all over the the bottom, as we turned into the inlet of the surf. Horseshoe crabs, hermit crabs, rays, speckled trout, and red fish!! The best time I have ever had at the coast.
First time I have ever seen deer on the beach.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:09 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
Of course. People do it all over the world. Even crystal clear blue water has sea life in it.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:19 PM

12 posts, read 49,725 times
We were in Port A-N. Padre several days last Aug. and it always smelled and full of seaweed and TONS of mosquitos and other bugs.
Water real mucky looking and very univiting.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:39 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
I keep hearing mixed reports about whether or not there is seaweed covering the beaches at Port Aransas, though everyone seems to agree there are a lot of jellyfish in the water. Has anyone gone recently for a few days or more that can tell me how unpleasant/pervasive this seaweed and jellyfish situation is? I've read reviews of the beach on travel sites where people deeply regret having gone there.

So we're considering driving further to South Padre Island for the nicer beaches (but ouch on the extra 2 1/2 hrs) - are the beaches and water that much nicer? Does one or the other island have more fun things for small children to do?

We have four children 8 and under so they're going to want to wade around in the shallow water and build sand castles and I'm picturing them tripping over seaweed and being stung by jellyfish at every turn

Have to make a decision about where to go today so please advise!

TIA!

There is a corpus christi board you can ask on there as well

Old 06-13-2009, 06:36 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyliviningaustin View Post
We were in Port A-N. Padre several days last Aug. and it always smelled and full of seaweed and TONS of mosquitos and other bugs.
Welcome to the Texas Gulf Coast. Hawaii is thataway....

Old 06-13-2009, 09:02 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times
Quote:
We went to Port Aransas last August and had a blast. No bad smells, no noticeable seaweed, no big problems with mosquitoes, and the water was fine. My children ask weekly when we can go back.

Your post makes me wonder how we could have gone to the same beach! We stayed at Coral Cay and we went to the beaches right near there.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:29 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,151 times
I like Port Aransas, when there is a hurricane a'coming. The surf is decent - a long and steady break, but it is a very ugly beach - Galveston without the tacky Victorian charm. In my opinion, the only decent beach in Texas, in terms of white sand, reliable clear water and real waves is South Padre. It is however nearly impossible to find decent seafood that is not frozen and then fried. Pick your poison, you will eat much better in P.A., but if you want a real beach, and don't want to fly to Cancun, SPI is your only option. Beaches in Mexico - Caribbean or Pacific side are infinitely superior to anything you will find in Texas, and flights to Acapulco on Via Aerobus are under $100 a person return from Austin. From Grand Isle, LA to North Padre Island, the gulf of Mexico is wildlife paradise, i.e, great for dolphins, crabs, shrimps and pelicans, but gross for humans. Never mind all the oil refineries in the western gulf. If you want a truly beautiful beach, go to Mexico. Even a big and nasty port city like Veracruz has much better beaches than anything you can find on the northern shores of the gulf of Mexico, and the food will be wonderful too!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:52 AM

12 posts, read 49,725 times
WOW you got lucky then!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
We went to Port Aransas last August and had a blast. No bad smells, no noticeable seaweed, no big problems with mosquitoes, and the water was fine. My children ask weekly when we can go back.

Your post makes me wonder how we could have gone to the same beach! We stayed at Coral Cay and we went to the beaches right near there.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:10 AM

5,864 posts, read 11,919,279 times
Quote:
WOW you got lucky then!!
It sounds more like you got unlucky. We've been traveling to Port Aransas for 30 years. If you stay in Port Aransas proper, they do a good job of cleaning the seaweed off the beach in the morning. I've never actually encountered jellyfish in the Gulf - in the bay yes. The beaches in Texas are nowhere near as pretty as Florida or Mexico, but for a 3.5 hour drive, I think they are just fine. I personally don't think it's worth the extra 4 hours to drive to S Padre - I'd much rather fly to Florida or Mexico than make that drive.

We're going to Port A next weekend - I'll take some pictures and report back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin