Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:41 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times

Advertisements

The complaints were probably not from any new transplants -- surprisingly, these new residents seem to know (and appreciate) exactly what they are buying when they move into downtown/central Austin. The complaints are likely from long-time residents and members of the ANC (Austin Neighborhood Council), led by Jeff Jack & facilitated by new city councilwoman Laura Morrison. They are against pretty much any development of downtown, or change of any sort in central Austin; the new transplants represent change, so they want to hit them where it hurts. No live music capital of the world for them! Maybe then they'll just move away. That's the thinking by ANC and Jeff Jack, anyway.

More info about the folks behind shutting down the music at Shady Grove & Freddy's place can be found at this blog:

M1EK's Bake-Sale of Bile: Jeff Jack and the Austin Neighborhoods Council kill "Unplugged at the Grove"

Note, I don't write this blog or agree with everything contained there... but I do agree with him in this case!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 10:42 AM

786 posts, read 2,762,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Nutty Brown will be next, I'm sure and who knows where else. 6th street will probably be the only place not harassed by grumpy, boring transplants (from wherever).
We looked at a few houses around Nutty Brown and have friends that live a couple of miles up the road off 290. One of my main questions (not concerns) was how loud Nutty Brown would be specially on a weekend. Our friends say they can hear the music occasionally and they like it.

He also said that one neighbor who lives closer to 290 was "complaining" about the "noise" one time. He warned her not to talk about hearing a free concert or the Nutty Brown would start charging her a cover charge!

While hearing a free concert may be nice now and then, a continuous serving can be annoying, especially if it is not the type of music you like. However, if it was already there when you moved it, TOO BAD. You should not have moved to that location without checking things out.

This is the same thing as city folk moving to the new subdivision in the country, then complaining about the pig farm that has been in operation for 100 years.

I can easily see Nutty Brown coming under pressure from the people in Belterra. Especially when they start that new section on the east side of Nutty Brown Road, just behind the cafe. I hope it does not come to that.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:55 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
The complaints were probably not from any new transplants -- surprisingly, these new residents seem to know (and appreciate) exactly what they are buying when they move into downtown/central Austin. The complaints are likely from long-time residents and members of the ANC (Austin Neighborhood Council), led by Jeff Jack & facilitated by new city councilwoman Laura Morrison. They are against pretty much any development of downtown, or change of any sort in central Austin; the new transplants represent change, so they want to hit them where it hurts. No live music capital of the world for them! Maybe then they'll just move away. That's the thinking by ANC and Jeff Jack, anyway.

More info about the folks behind shutting down the music at Shady Grove & Freddy's place can be found at this blog:

M1EK's Bake-Sale of Bile: Jeff Jack and the Austin Neighborhoods Council kill "Unplugged at the Grove"

Note, I don't write this blog or agree with everything contained there... but I do agree with him in this case!

This post is spot on. I was going to make this same statement and reference the same blog. These group of people are hurting Austin more than new people moving in. The old "it must be some transplant who bought a condo" accusation is simply uninformed and tiring. It's not always accurate. Place blame where it belongs.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:32 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,485 times
I was at the Grove during the Gourds performance and one of the APD officer's is a close friend. He hates enforcing the noise ordinance because the 75 dBa number is purely a SWAG (scientific wild a** guess) value. He also suspects it's some new resident who again, fails to appreciate how live music makes this town so special.

Ditto on M1EK - I don't always agree with his blog but in the case, he's spot on.

I also want to know when the variance hearing will be held. This is one of the jewels in the crown that makes Austin our home.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:51 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
A person can be new to a particular neighborhood and not be an Austin transplant.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:24 PM

237 posts, read 379,855 times
I live almost literally in zilker park, and I can tell you a lot of these folks are uptight. In my mega complex,you would not believe what these folks ***** about and think are problems. With that being said, i love that i can sit on my terrace crack open a beer,and hear music FOR FREE lol!I don't know why new residents or older residents,would live in an area,housed with busy boppin' resturants that play music and complain. Why would anyone move in this area, and think its going to be a monastary. Most of these bands play around dinner time or a little bit after,its not like there jammin' out at 3 am.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:46 PM

132 posts, read 542,317 times
I heard on the radio that the person that complained has a newborn at home. Anyone who has kids can surely understand that difficulty that comes with that alone. Toss in a band and it could cause problems. Bottom line is that the law is in fact on the complainants side and we should respect that law just as we do any other law. Until of course we can do something about it!

Old 06-12-2009, 01:05 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Maybe the baby can learn to be lulled to sleep by the music. Mine did when we lived in Denver and it didn't matter to her how loud it was. I know not all babies are the same, but really. And if she's a member of this neighborhood group, isn't she just kicking herself in the backside. They may shut down live music to try and keep transplants out, but then they are also shutting themselves out of having those things nearby so that only native Austinites can enjoy it. Natives can't enjoy it either if it isn't there.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:09 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveATX View Post
I heard on the radio that the person that complained has a newborn at home. Anyone who has kids can surely understand that difficulty that comes with that alone. Toss in a band and it could cause problems. Bottom line is that the law is in fact on the complainants side and we should respect that law just as we do any other law. Until of course we can do something about it!
The thing is, it has nothing to do with disturbing a newborn's sleep. The ordinance is specifically targeted at shutting down clubs and driving out the young professionals/transplants that frequent them. 75dB is much quieter than most road noise, yard equipment, and even loud conversations. Slamming a door or cabinet in an adjacent apartment would be louder. The construction going on for the condos on Barton Springs Rd is much louder. And all those things are not prohibited... only the music is being targeted.

Here's a chart that shows where 75dB falls in comparison to other sounds:
Decibel (Loudness) Comparison Chart

A little louder than quiet conversation, but quieter than a telephone dialtone.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:32 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin