Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:05 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,125,137 times

Advertisements

August 25 is the last nerd bird flights from Austin to San Jose... :-( I hate American Airlines. This flight is always full, I wish there was a way to get jet blue to take over this route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 03:43 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Someone might very well take over that route. When AA killed AUS-SEA, Alaska Airlines (an AA codeshare I think) immediately stepped in and started the route again. So it may have more to do with AA cutting costs and phasing out the MD-80, rather than the success of the route. I would love it if JetBlue takes over, their planes are MUCH better and newer than AA's aging fleet.

Still, that is a bummer. As of now, that eliminates another direct destination from ABIA.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:56 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
August 25 is the last nerd bird flights from Austin to San Jose... :-( I hate American Airlines. This flight is always full, I wish there was a way to get jet blue to take over this route.
you hate them because they are always full? Do you think they should hold a seat or two back just for you?
and if they faze out the MD-80s I will love them even more than I happen to now. Well I don't love them, I just think they are as good as any other line, maybe better in some way. They all leave things to be desired. As for MD-80s they are the worst, most uncomfortable plane in the air.

Nita

Old 06-12-2009, 04:03 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,125,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you hate them because they are always full? Do you think they should hold a seat or two back just for you?

Nita
American claims it is because the flights aren't full. I don't buy that since I am on them way too often. The article was in the statesman with there statement.

Well I fly way too much. Mainly between Austin and San Jose or Seattle. American thinks that since we are so close to Dallas that we shouldn't mind connecting through there. It adds another 2 hours to an already long trip.

Since the flights are full they should cut flights that aren't. They have already killed the SEA flight, thankfully Alaska is stepping in but they haven't started that route yet. I think it is in August.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:09 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,769 times
Too bad they couldn't just cut it down to 1 flight a day instead of 2. Cutting it all together seems a bit hasty.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:50 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,878 times
Another airline will take this route over (probably Southwest.) There's way too much traffic on it. AA is stupid.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:31 PM

592 posts, read 2,025,123 times
AA is not smart. They are just trying to keep the top management pockets full. They are going to lay off 1200 flight attendent and who know how many pilots

Old 06-13-2009, 07:30 AM

351 posts, read 1,431,468 times
For those in the hospitality industry this is yet another blow to this city.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:59 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
One of the few things I actively disliked about Austin when I lived there was that it was so difficult to get a direct nonstop flight anywhere. Altways had to go to Dallas, Houston or Chicago it seemed. Outside of other cities in TX, Chicago was one of the few places of any consequence you could fly direct. Only one flight to LaGuardia a day as I recall. The attempt at direct service to Toronto lasted less than a year. I wonder if they still have Austin-Boston direct.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
One of the few things I actively disliked about Austin when I lived there was that it was so difficult to get a direct nonstop flight anywhere. Altways had to go to Dallas, Houston or Chicago it seemed. Outside of other cities in TX, Chicago was one of the few places of any consequence you could fly direct. Only one flight to LaGuardia a day as I recall. The attempt at direct service to Toronto lasted less than a year. I wonder if they still have Austin-Boston direct.
Austin is not a major hub..never has been. If you get a direct flight to anywhere besides Houston or Dallas then consider yourself lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin