Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:29 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
Great Schools == much more than just SW Austin/Steiner. There are tons of great schools around.
Agreed.

I'd add Lakeway, Canyon Creek & parts of Avery Ranch & Great Oaks to your mix. (given your criteria)

(& fwiw....you won't find much "weirdness" in any of the neighborhoods on your list. Probably an expression that's past it's prime.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 11:08 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
I would factor in commute and need to be located near certain things (such as airport) when choosing between the two. From SW Austin it's easy to get downtown, get to the airport, to Barton Creek Square. Loved cycling on the veloway, walking or biking to Escarpment Village. Schools are great too. I think Steiner is beautiful as well. I don't know if there is a huge difference in terms of what your family life would be there so I would visit both but location of job would make a difference to me.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:31 PM

477 posts, read 1,581,348 times
You have described Steiner to a "T" I actually just came in from drinks in the cul-de -sac, our weekly 4 square game with the 21 kids in teh cul-de-sac. Oh, and we'll be on the lake in the morning. The only thing Circle-C has to offer is proximity to downtown.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:56 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATXTransplant View Post
You have described Steiner to a "T" I actually just came in from drinks in the cul-de -sac, our weekly 4 square game with the 21 kids in teh cul-de-sac. Oh, and we'll be on the lake in the morning. The only thing Circle-C has to offer is proximity to downtown.
I agree (and I live there). My neighbors and I are currently planning our 4th of July bash, and it's not unusual for an impromptu kickball game to start in the cul-de-sac. We can also walk to convenience stores (one a small grocery), ice cream parlor, coffee shops, 3 restaurants, 2 nail salons, dentists (pediatric and adult), pools, playgrounds, and more. And NONE of the businesses in Steiner are chains. There is a Pak Mail, but even that is a franchise owned by a Steiner resident.

We also have 18+ miles of hike and bike trails and are a stone's throw from the lake. Steiner even has a private park area with picnic tables and boat launch actually on the waterfront.

And all the elementary schools and the middle school are rated exemplary. A new high school will open in the fall.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:14 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwhmoving View Post
Greetings! We may be moving later this summer, waiting on the job offer, and I need some help.

We are a family of 4, looking for great schools (elementary for now) with an "easy" (30-40 minutes) commute downtown. My husband needs a decent commute to the airport a couple times/month. Budget $250-300k and would like newer construction with 3-4 bedrooms, active neighbors (ie drinks on the porch, kids running around the backyard, bikes, hiking & boating), near lakes and if we can get it, walking to non-chain restaurants, bakery etc. We are pretty liberal and currently live in an inner ring neighborhood where we walk to a lot of places and the idea of a "cul de sac" neighborhood scares me a bit but think that's where we are headed as the kids start school.

Can someone help me understand the big differences between Steiner Ranch, Circle C and SW Austin as I see those most often mentioned? Are there after school programs available & does anyone use them? Where's the best place to live to be near water? Should we add Lakeway to the mix?

I know that's a bunch of questions and I'm trying to paste together the answers from other posts, but any direction would be helpful.

Thanks! And we'll do what we can to "Keep Austin Weird" once we get there.
Even in a neighborhood where the people sit out in front (or neighbors sit in their driveways not their porch) it can vary a lot by cul de sac and by how old the kids are. As the kids get older it seems like people sit out a lot less because they are doing activities. One family with 3 boys moved out of our cul de sac (replaced with a family with a boy and a girl) and now hardly anyone sits outside anymore.

There are areas in the NW that would fit your criteria, you dont need a master planned community with a ton of amenities to get what you listed.

A lot of the corridor along 183 betwee around duval to anderson mill rd feeds into the best round rock schools. The houses are from the 80's or 90's and I believe are in your price range. They dont have strong neighborhood associations, but they are walkable to all the stuff along 183.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:02 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
There is nothing easy about commuting to the airport from Stiener Ranch, Lakeway or NW Austin.

It is an easy commute, 20-25 minutes, from SW Austin (Circle C, Legend Oaks). Legend Oaks is a slightly older community directly North of Circle C. Built 1986-1992 or so, very similar in ammenities to Circle C, green, wooded, lots of oak trees, neighborhood pools, hike and bike trails. But a little less expensive. It is in your price range. This area also has good access to downtown and to the Lake Travis and the hill country for recreation.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:29 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
You could also consider Georgetown and parts of Round Rock, as those are an easy commute to the airport via SH130 (I live 15 miles north of Georgetown and it takes me one hour from my front door to the front door of the airport using 130).

Old 06-13-2009, 02:34 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
The only thing Circle-C has to offer is proximity to downtown.
That's an over-simplification.

I know of at least three personal friends who sold and left Steiner because it was too far, and I know of gobs more, including actual clients I've helped. I don't know anyone who has ever sold and left CC because of location.

People in SW Austin go to the lake also, have culdesac parties, etc. Both have tons of non-residents driving in and parking for halloween because the trick or treating is so superior to wherever they live. Both have smart kids attending good schools.

Sure, there might be micro-level differences in the exact set of amenities, available shopping (CC wins easily on this one), etc., but in a general sense, a planned unit development is a planned unit development and I don't think there is a measurable level of happiness that can be achieved in one over the other if commuting factors are removed.

Oh, I forgot, you do get to pay about $0.50 of a higher percent in property taxes in Steiner. That's about a $1,500/yr difference for the exact same $300K house built by the same builder with the identical floorplan. Personally, before I'm going to accept that additional permenent ownership cost ON TOP OF a very distant location, I need a really compelling reason to draw me out there. For me, and many others, no such reason exists.

Steve

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 06-13-2009 at 03:49 PM..

Old 06-13-2009, 02:37 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
That's an over-simplification.

I know of at least three personal friends who sold and left Steiner because it was too far, and I know of gobs more, including actual clients I've helped. I don't know anyone who has ever sold and left CC because of location.

People in SW Austin go to the lake also, have culdesac parties, etc. Both have tons of non-residents driving in and parking for halloween because the trick or treating is so superior to wherever they live. Both have smart kids attending good schools.

Sure, there might be micro-level differences in the exact set of amenities, available shopping (CC wins easily on this one), etc., but in a general sense, a planned unit development is a planned unit development and I don't think there is a measurable level of happiness that can be achieved in one over the other if commuting factors are removed.

Oh, I forgot, you do get to pay about $0.50 of a higher percent in property taxes in Steiner. That's about a $1,500/yr difference for the exact same $300K house built by the same builder with the identical floorplan. Personally, before I'm going to accept that additional permemnt ownership cost ON TOP OF a very distant location, I need a really compelling reason to draw me out there. For me, and many others, no such reason exists.

Steve

Steve
I have no dog in this hunt, but I think the views are something that has drawn my friends to Steiner. Also the fact that there are hills and it's seconds to the lake. I would think those are the things that distinguish it from SW Austin.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:51 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times
I say - Enjoy Lake Travis while it lasts. The lakes downstream are constant level and a source of drinking water for the city of Austin. When the pop. of the SA/Austin metro area doubles in the next 20 years, and the climate get drier, which lake do you think is going to get the shaft? I've often wandered how you get a 100ft yacht out of a dry lake bed. Point being: buyer beware

Proximity to downtown will always be proximity to downtown. I would vote for CC. The views in Steiner are nice. an extra hour commute each way to downtown nice? no. An extra 200K tacked on to the price of the home above and beyond the construction cost+cost of land? no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin