Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:21 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
How can the city of austin ban the sales of fireworks outside of the city limits??
That is odd, I am assuming it has something to do with the ETJ, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 08:31 AM

58 posts, read 127,063 times
Etj?

Old 07-07-2009, 08:46 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Extra Territorial Jurisdiction, or pretty close to something like that.....

Quote:
SUBTITLE C. MUNICIPAL BOUNDARIES AND ANNEXATION
CHAPTER 42. EXTRATERRITORIAL JURISDICTION OF MUNICIPALITIES
SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS
Sec. 42.001. PURPOSE OF EXTRATERRITORIAL JURISDICTION. The legislature declares it the policy of the state to designate certain areas as the extraterritorial jurisdiction of municipalities to promote and protect the general health, safety, and welfare of persons residing in and adjacent to the municipalities.
Quote:
Sec. 42.021. EXTENT OF EXTRATERRITORIAL JURISDICTION. (a) The extraterritorial jurisdiction of a municipality is the unincorporated area that is contiguous to the corporate boundaries of the municipality and that is located:
(5) within five miles of those boundaries, in the case of a municipality with 100,000 or more inhabitants.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:12 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
I did find it irksome that we listened to the sounds of and could often see large fireworks exploding in the sky SE of our house for at least two hours July 4th, well inside of the City Limits. It appeared to be a couple of blocks away in an area that has lots of dry greenbelts. I thought of calling the fire department several times but kept thinking, it will probably be over in a few minutes. But it wasn't, it continued and continued. If it had been closer I probably would have called. Next year I probably won't be so patient.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:07 PM

Just a reminder of what is and is not legal in the City of Austin. From the COA website:

Quote:
What is the City of Austin ordinance regarding fireworks usage? It is illegal to possess fireworks within the City of Austin. It is illegal to use or sell fireworks within the City of Austin and within 5,000 feet outside the city limits.

Are any fireworks legal in the City of Austin without a permit?

The U.S. Department of Transportation does not classify the following items listed as common fireworks, and their use is allowed within the City of Austin:

Snake, GlowWorm - Pressed pellet of pyrotechnic composition thatproduces a large, snakelike ash upon burning. The ash expands in length as the pellet burns. These devices may not contain mercuric thiocyanate.

Smoke Device - Tube or sphere containing pyrotechnic composition that, upon ignition, produces white or colored smoke as the primary effect.

Wire Sparkler - Wire coated with pyrotechnic composition that produces a shower of sparks upon ignition. These items may not contain magnesium and must not exceed 100g of composition per item. Devices containing any chlorate or perchlorate salts may not exceed 5g of composition per item.

Trick Noisemaker: Item produces a small report intended to surprise the user. These devices include:

Party Popper - Small plastic or paper item containing not more than 16mg of explosive composition that is friction-sensitive. A string protruding from the device is pulled to ignite it, expelling paper streams and producing a small report.

Booby Trap - Small tube with string protruding from both ends, similar to a party popper in design. The ends of the string are pulled to ignite the friction-sensitive composition, producing a small report.

Snapper - Small, paper-wrapped item containing a minute quantity of explosive composition coated on small bits of sand. When dropped, the device explodes, producing a small report.

Trick Match - Kitchen or book match that has been coated with a small quantity of explosive or pyrotechnic composition. Upon ignition of the match, a small report or a shower of sparks is produced.

Cigarette Load - Small wooden peg that has been coated with a small quantity of explosive or pyrotechnic composition. Upon ignition of the match, a small report or a shower of sparks is produced.

Auto Burglar Alarm - Tube, which contains pyrotechnic composition that produces a loud whistle and/or smoke when ignited. A small quantity of explosive, not exceeding 50mg, also may be used to produce a small report. A squib is used to ignite the device.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:15 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,312 times
Ha! Tell that to the folks who live in my neighborhood here in RR - it's like WWIII out here on NYE and the 4th of July!

Old 12-31-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Ha! Tell that to the folks who live in my neighborhood here in RR - it's like WWIII out here on NYE and the 4th of July!
Last time I checked RR was not in the City of Austin.

For Non-Emergencies call the RR Police Dept. at 512-218-5515

Old 12-31-2010, 03:21 PM

For those who need fireworks: The City of Austin is sponsoring a free celebration event, with live music, films, food, art, and other fun activities concluding with an early fireworks finale!"

City of Austin - A.N.Y. - Austin's New Year

Old 12-31-2010, 03:23 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I did find it irksome that we listened to the sounds of and could often see large fireworks exploding in the sky SE of our house for at least two hours July 4th, well inside of the City Limits. It appeared to be a couple of blocks away in an area that has lots of dry greenbelts. I thought of calling the fire department several times but kept thinking, it will probably be over in a few minutes. But it wasn't, it continued and continued. If it had been closer I probably would have called. Next year I probably won't be so patient.
People may not be so patient with you if they find out it was you who called the police! This is Texas (and you know very well) when it comes to beer, wine, guns, and fireworks: people are going to do what they want to do!

[Most Austinites simply ignore the police when it comes to lighting fireworks.]

Remember, don't mess with Texas!

Old 12-31-2010, 05:11 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Here in Brushy Creek fireworks are verboten, but nobody pays attention to that.

Used to blow up a lot of fireworks back in the '40s & '50s when Cherry Bombs, Torpedoes, and M-80s were the real thing. Still have fun watching the kids light off the puny firecrackers they are restricted to these days.

Having said all that, two houses in our 'hood have burned down in the past few years because of careless use of skyrockets. So I always check the roof & the neighbors after midnight.

Sure would be nice if the kiddos stopped by 12:15, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: