Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 08:38 PM

6 posts, read 27,845 times

Advertisements

What does the law say about building a home next to another in Austin? How far away does it have to be? We have a small lot behind our house and just found out someone is building a house! How can City of Austin let them cram a house in there??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 09:09 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacha1 View Post
What does the law say about building a home next to another in Austin? How far away does it have to be? We have a small lot behind our house and just found out someone is building a house! How can City of Austin let them cram a house in there??
Well, there are setback rules and impervious cover rules. There are also the "McMansion" ordinance rules in certain neighborhoods. These exist just for the situation you describe... however, if the lot is big enough that they can meet these regulations, they would receive the permit to build a house. It's possible, but rare, that they could get variances in certain instances. You can look up permits (by address) on the city of Austin web site (can't remember exactly where, or I'd include the link). Don't hesitate to call the city -- in my experience, they will direct you to the right department, and they will answer your questions.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:39 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
How small is the lot? If it is a legal lot then it can be built on, with some limitations as described by atxcio above.

You can look up permits by the address here to verify one was issued. https://www.ci.austin.tx.us/devreview/index.jsp

If you think a code is being violated you can report it here:
City of Austin - Code Enforcement Overview

Old 07-07-2009, 12:31 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Well, there are setback rules and impervious cover rules. There are also the "McMansion" ordinance rules in certain neighborhoods. These exist just for the situation you describe... however, if the lot is big enough that they can meet these regulations, they would receive the permit to build a house. It's possible, but rare, that they could get variances in certain instances. You can look up permits (by address) on the city of Austin web site (can't remember exactly where, or I'd include the link). Don't hesitate to call the city -- in my experience, they will direct you to the right department, and they will answer your questions.
variances would trigger a letter to be sent to all neighbors to approve wouldnt they?

Old 07-07-2009, 08:46 PM

6 posts, read 27,845 times
Okay so I checked out the McMansion Ordiance online. It appears as though we are NOT on the map....but it seems as though we should be. What I mean is we are in Westlake (not Westlake Hills....but the area of Austin called Westlake). The description of the McMansion Ordiance says at 183 from 360 to Ben White but that is not on the map. It seems as though we may have been accidentally lumped in with Westlake Hills and were not included on the map. I'm still looking into this.... thanks for all the assistance!

Old 07-07-2009, 09:12 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacha1 View Post
Okay so I checked out the McMansion Ordiance online. It appears as though we are NOT on the map....but it seems as though we should be. What I mean is we are in Westlake (not Westlake Hills....but the area of Austin called Westlake). The description of the McMansion Ordiance says at 183 from 360 to Ben White but that is not on the map. It seems as though we may have been accidentally lumped in with Westlake Hills and were not included on the map. I'm still looking into this.... thanks for all the assistance!
What area of Westlake? Are you sure you are in the city of Austin? Because most of Westlake (the area, not the city of West Lake Hills) is not AFAIK. It's not Lost Creek, by any chance? Because I have noticed a bump in construction (mostly remodeling/additions), which I suspect is because of the upcoming annexation into the city. I don't know if that will make it subject to the McMansion ordinance, but even the city's standard building requirements are much more stringent than unincorporated Travis county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: