Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:20 AM

20 posts, read 44,278 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I was born and raised in California for 12 years, then grew up in Alabama for 9 years, and a native Charlotte resident for 7 years before moving up to upstate New York (DO NOT LIKE) a few months ago.

I recently moved to upstate New York for a job position that didn't pan out. Being a Charlotte resident, I thought about moving back. However, I don't have any kids, I'm just starting with a new career in the IT field, and I miss the more coastal/Western areas.

My main wants for a city are: Strong IT field, booming nightlife, sunshine, good theaters, progressive, bustling, outdoor (mostly water) activities.

I just started a new career in the IT field that will allow me to relocate after a few months in. Charlotte has Microsoft, IBM, etc. located there.

I want to be able to go out most every night if I so desire. Charlotte has (few) but good night clubs. Doesn't just have to be clubs, I like going out to where a mass of people collect to meet new people (big plus in my book) and if it's dancing, drinking or live music - then fantastic. Is the night life better in Austin? Are there more clubs? I want to meet new people. Is Austin a great place for singles, too?

I enjoy the heat for the most part. Sure some days get to be absurdly hot in the south and out west, but you pick your battles. I'd rather have the heat than anything below 40 degrees. I've grown up in warm weather all my life, it's what I crave and fights off the winter blues. Charlotte definitely has the warm weather.

I LOVE: movies and television. My primary field is IT, but I want to sit back and relax in the park and work on some screenplays of my own in my free time. Connecting with other film lovers is a must. I watch a couple new movies a week, and it's my one of big passions.

A progressive city: a must. I will wither up in die in a city like Detroit. Some people couldn't give two cents if the city they live in is falling to pieces, but I do. Charlotte is progressive and growing, a plus. It still has some elements of racism. Being a nerdy white guy with most of my friends being black or Hispanic - how is Austin's tolerance towards others?

To go along with that: BUSTLING. I want to feel like I'm part of something bigger and exciting. Like there is so much fun and good times to be had outside of your window that you can't get out of work fast enough to participate. Charlotte seems to be dead until Fridays at 11pm then back into hibernation Sunday after 6pm.

Outdoors: I love the water, I'm a fish. Canoeing, kayaking, swimming, windsurfing, body boarding, you name it. If I meet someone new on Friday night then I want to take them to a nice park or place with a good vibe on Sunday. Charlotte is 4 hours away from Charleston and Myrtle Beach, but no waters of their own for easy access.

So there are the things I love most in life and I do get some of my fill from Charlotte. Even still, a new city offers a new adventure and new opportunities for growth and that's why I'm so restless. I love that Austin is nearby Mexico. Next to barbecue, my favorite food is Mexican. I love the fact that there are nice lakes nearby.

So, what do YOU all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 10:52 AM

5,870 posts, read 11,938,462 times
OK, I'll bite. Based on all of your criteria, I'd say Austin would be a really good fit for you. I looked into transferring with my company to Charlotte a few years ago and decided I was better off here in Austin.

For you, there is a "bustling" scene here, lots of water and outdoor activities, lots of music and I think you will definitely find it is a relatively tolerant city.

We're having a hotter-than-normal summer, but if you can tolerate the humid heat on the Eastern seaboard, you can handle the heat in Austin.

I'd say plan a trip and check it out.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:00 AM

44 posts, read 121,172 times
I've lived in both places (Charlotte for 6 years, Austin for 5) and prefer Austin. I can't say I miss anything from Charlotte, except a big plate of Lupie's nachos.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:24 AM

20 posts, read 44,278 times
The hotter the better! I love a nice hot day to sweat everything out. Grab some sunblock, a few Coronas, find some water, and I'm loving it.

How's the food? Charlotte's food is really lacking. The best burgers come from chains (Five Guys, Red Robin and Hardees), as does the barbecue (Sticky Fingerz) and Mexican (Mo's Grill).

Have you all been to the Alamo Drafthouse?

Compared to Charlotte, which has maybe 4 night clubs that everyone goes to, how is a Friday/Sat night in Austin?

How are the apartment complexes there?

I agree, I will visit. Not soon enough for sure. Until then I want to learn as much as I can. Thank you!

Old 06-29-2009, 07:30 PM

844 posts, read 2,021,494 times
Austin has more than a few bars/restaurants. Check out 6th st: http://www.6street.com/6s_pg_about.htm. And it's not just Fri/Sat night. You can go out and find people and/or live music every night of the week in Austin. It's an extremely social city.

If you love movies, you'll love Austin also. There is the Austin Film Festival and SXSW film.

According to what you list as your interests, you should definitely be happy in Austin.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:43 PM

36 posts, read 170,805 times
Not ever being to Austin, I would still pick it over Charlotte for what you are looking for. I have been to Charlotte and LOVED it, but it was because it was slower-paced, family oriented, quiet, sleepy and it has beautiful Lake Norman. IT field is VERY competitive in Charlotte and most areas of NC right now. There are many many many people looking for jobs in that field and it may well take years for it to catch up. That is the only thing holding us back from working/living in NC. Austin seems to have more things to do (on paper) as far as nightlife, music, arts, etc. and it seems to be more outdoors-centered.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:24 PM

75 posts, read 467,632 times
Suture,
I think you would love it here. I'm married, but still love to go out to 6th street(college crowd), or 4th & 5th streets (30's, 40's, etc) on occasion. There is tons of live music here and I've not even experienced most of it, but check out Austin360.com. The police actually block off about 5 blocks of 6th street on the weekends from cars, that is how busy it is! I think it's pretty active through the week too. Lots of restaurants and bars have outdoor seating or rooftop areas to people watch and be outside! You can go out jogging around the lake that runs right through downtown and see tons of folks jogging & biking. They have kayak rentals on the lake too and you see them all the time. I've been to the Alamo on Lamar (not quite downtown), and it was pretty cool, food pretty good too! Some of the Alamo's have interactive shows and get the audience involved too (my sister saw Team America, and the whole theatre headed down 6th street after the show singing the theme song & holding sparklers last summer!)
IMO Austin is a very cool city. Downtown is really clean for the most part and is still improving. Lot's of downtown urban living condos going up, nice places to eat, and classy clubs. And, if you love Mexican, you'll be just fine! Sometimes that is all you can find, so many Mexican places here, and most are really good! Someone already mentioned the film festival (search for SXSW) and then there is the huge Austin City Limits music fest every year too! You'll love it! Hope this helps!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:41 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,154,547 times
I wouldn't say that Austin is BUSTLING but there is some activity. There are times when it's pretty quiet too; Sundays downtown are dead. It's not a big city, more medium-sized.

The food here is really good. If you love Tex Mex and BBQ you'll be set. It can get a little tiresome at times but it's still good. It's not quite as good as what you can get in a big city (variety, quality) but it definitely sounds better than what you've described in Charlotte. Austin does however, have it's share of chains as well.

If you love film, have you heard of the Alamo Drafthouse? It's the best place anywhere to see a movie!

Alamo Drafthouse :: Main Page

The only way to tell if Austin is right for you is to pay the town a visit (or three). Good luck.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:18 AM

37 posts, read 82,169 times
It appears that Austin meets much more of your criteria. I've lived in both places (just moved to Austin from North Carolina) and both are great -- but you will find a stronger IT scene and stronger nightlife in Austin than in Charlotte. The downside to Austin? Housing prices in the city that are about 70% higher in Austin than in Charlotte. Cost in the suburbs is nearly identical.

I recommend you visit each city before moving.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:23 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,039,395 times
I would say that the "research triangle" is closer in spirit to Austin than Charlotte, which is a Piedmont version of Dallas....very prim and proper, almost uptight.........

Charlotte also had the highest unemployment rate in the USA a few months ago...I presume it hasn't gotten much better since...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: