Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:46 AM

9 posts, read 10,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I do have an eight year old and if he did something like that nine years from now, I would know that I had unequivocally failed as a parent.
be prepared to feel like a failed parent as i can guarantee you your child will at some point do something as stupid as this. he/she may not get caught or it may not be brought to your attention but it will happen... don't think you're perfect or any better then this boys parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
It leads to me to wonder, WHO are these people that go thru thread after ancient thread in the City-Data forums, find ones that were controversial, and then "bump" them by posting on them again? What is the motive here?

When I want to go back and find a quote someone made in City-Data (usually to use it against them in an argument; mea culpa) it takes FOREVER to cycle thru past posts to find what I am looking for. And yet these "bumpers" seem to find controversial topics, sometimes from 2 years past, with relative ease. I mean, is there some functionality in the search field I am unaware of?

It's also telling that the people who do this are ALWAYS FIRST TIME POSTERS, usually never to be heard from again. What are those things called? The things that live under bridges, who reach out and snatch unsuspecting travelers????? Or in this case unsuspecting City-data posters? Oh yes!! TROLLS!

And yet....I can't resist!!! I managed to resist this entire post the first time around, but I can't help myself anymore!

Will all you people out there with teenagers STOP acting like you are able to objectively view this issue?

As I was reading this thread, I couldn't help but notice that the people in defense of a 17 year old man grabbing, threatening and assaulting a teacher, all just HAPPEN to have teenage children (or at least have posted that they do). Although our legal system isn't perfect, one of the great things about it is that it places judgement and punishment into the hands of people who are seperated from the situation. This allows justice to be administered (usually) fairly. I understand that as parents of teenagers it was very difficult for you to read this thread and not immediately transpose your own son/daughter into this situation and go "God, I hope this doesn't happen to my little snookums". But you need to seperate yourself from this situation and look at the broader picture. If every criminal was able to get his mom on the jury, our prisons would be empty.

A school is not a street corner. While it is a public forum, it requires a certain amount of decorum and obeying of authority figures. If I was in a courtroom, and my cellphone rang during the middle of a trial, I would expect the judge to be angry at me. If she directed the Baliff to remove my phone from me, and I grabbed the bailiff by the wrist and threated him, don't you think I would be in a bit of trouble?

Narcissism indeed.

I would be interested in reading this book JenniBC is talking about. But I don't think that this over abundance of narcissism is limited to just my generation and younger. I notice it in all levels of society. I have mentioned it in my posts many times in the past. "This rule doesn't apply to me because I am soo special". It's endemic of our society.

I wonder what happened to this punk kid. Hopefully he got in a hell of a lot of trouble. I didn't agree with my grandfather on every political issue, but he had one saying I could get behind. "The Army will straighten him out." Let's see this kid grab his drill seargent by the wrist. I bet he won't be so tough when he's not grabbing a woman, and he's not surrounded by peers that he think will cheer him on.
This thread was bumped because I was watching news and a child had their phone taken away in school. Then the parents were charged $ to get the phone back. I couldn't believe what I was hearing so I googled the situation and found this post. This is exactly why we need rules that will avoid confrontation over something as silly as a cell phone in class. Teacher was on a power trip by "snatching" the phone, I think we all can agree on that. Student was wrong by placing his hands on her but two wrongs don't make a right and the teacher is the professional here while the other is a 17yr old child. Argue all day if u like but these are the facts. Oh and please dont use a courtroom to analyze this situation. Can a teacher give u 30days for contempt of court? Can a teacher place handcuffs on you without being charged with kidnapping? apples and oranges there buddy

Old 04-22-2010, 11:39 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whymeidontknow View Post
This thread was bumped because I was watching news and a child had their phone taken away in school. Then the parents were charged $ to get the phone back. I couldn't believe what I was hearing so I googled the situation and found this post. This is exactly why we need rules that will avoid confrontation over something as silly as a cell phone in class. Teacher was on a power trip by "snatching" the phone, I think we all can agree on that. Student was wrong by placing his hands on her but two wrongs don't make a right and the teacher is the professional here while the other is a 17yr old child. Argue all day if u like but these are the facts. Oh and please dont use a courtroom to analyze this situation. Can a teacher give u 30days for contempt of court? Can a teacher place handcuffs on you without being charged with kidnapping? apples and oranges there buddy
That is where you are wrong. We DONT all agree on that. The school had a zero tolerance policy on phones. The student was aware of this policy. The student knew his phone would be confiscated if he left it on his desk. He CHOSE to do it anyway. The teacher was acting within the confines of her job. Then a GROWN MAN grabbed a WOMAN and threatened her. Even though he knew that his phone would be taken if he chose to break the rules.

The court room analogy is very appropriate in my mind. A teacher and a school are charged with the safety and discipline of all the young children that go through it. You never go to an authority figure, whether it's a judge, a cop, or a teacher and threaten them when they are upholding the rules. The fact that you think this is excusable in anyway mystifies me. If the young man in question was stopped for speeding, and he grabbed the cop by the collar and said "No one gives me a speeding ticket" then I suppose you would find that to be okay too? I mean, obviously the cops was also on a "power trip". I mean, yeah the kid was breaking the rules, but couldn't the cop have politely asked him to stop speeding and not given him a ticket. Really, the point you are making is that the teacher was just "asking for it".

Also, the fact that you feel it's excusable for a 17 year old man to grab a woman by the wrist and threaten her, well, come to think of it I guess there are a lot of people out there that think it's okay to force your will on a woman, so that mystifies me a little bit less. But I still think it's wrong.

But apparently, I am in a small minority here. It seems the overwhelming opinion here is that "boys will be boys" and that this is much ado about nothing, and that the teacher is just an evil harpie that deserved to be threatened and physically held against her will. Perhaps it's good that I am not a parent, obviously my opinion of what constitutes good behavior is horribly strict.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 04-22-2010 at 11:52 AM..

Old 04-22-2010, 11:43 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
be prepared to feel like a failed parent as i can guarantee you your child will at some point do something as stupid as this. he/she may not get caught or it may not be brought to your attention but it will happen... don't think you're perfect or any better then this boys parents.
I don't think they are referring to having your cell phone out (or whatever)...yeah, most kids will break the rules at some time (or multiple times). I think they are referring to the grabbing a teacher. Whether it is a male of female student, or a male or female teacher, is reall irrelevant. The student grabbed and threatened another individual. That is not a violation of a rule, it is a violation of a law. I can't think of a single instance in my eduaction in which a student every grabbed a teacher, although it possibly happened and was not a news story.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
That is where you are wrong. We DONT all agree on that. The school had a zero tolerance policy on phones. The student was aware of this policy. The student knew his phone would be confiscated if he left it on his desk. He CHOSE to do it anyway. The teacher was acting within the confines of her job. Then a GROWN MAN grabbed a WOMAN and threatened her. Even though he knew that his phone would be taken if he chose to break the rules.

The court room analogy is very appropriate in my mind. A teacher and a school are charged with the safety and discipline of all the young children that go through it. You never go to an authority figure, whether it's a judge, a cop, or a teacher and threaten them when they are upholding the rules. The fact that you think this is excusable in anyway mystifies me.

Also, the fact that you feel it's excusable for a 17 year old man to grab a woman by the wrist and threaten her, well, come to think of it I guess there are a lot of people out there that think it's okay to force your will on a woman, so that mystifies me a little bit less. But I still think it's wrong.
"i think" improve your reading comprehension please. Then u went on to call this a grown man.? No she did it because hes a kid and she thought she had that power. When he physically showed her that she did not have that power she realized she was wrong and released the phone. You wouldn't try to take anything from a grown man because you are not the police nor is that teacher. Also just cause something is a written school policy does not make it correct or LAW.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Yah, let's just ship them off to the military. I'm all for that when we go back to the draft and the upper crust gets their kids sent there too. ?
But that's not what I am saying. I am not saying poor people need to go to the army. I am saying Jerkwads in need of discipline should go to the army. Jerkwads come from every economic bracket.

The military is the best place for young men who think the world owes them and feel the need to physically threaten and intimidate people who get in their way. Obviously this kid lacks discipline at home, and the army can definately rectify that situation.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:57 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I don't think they are referring to having your cell phone out (or whatever)...yeah, most kids will break the rules at some time (or multiple times). I think they are referring to the grabbing a teacher. Whether it is a male of female student, or a male or female teacher, is reall irrelevant. The student grabbed and threatened another individual. That is not a violation of a rule, it is a violation of a law. I can't think of a single instance in my eduaction in which a student every grabbed a teacher, although it possibly happened and was not a news story.
Absolutely! That is exactly what I meant. My son pushes the envelope all of the time and pays the consequences for it. I am not perfect but I am a good parent because I choose to parent rather than to be my son's friend. As I often tell him, "we'll be great friends when you're in your twenties and beyond, but for now I am your mother and you are not always going to like me." Unless he suffers some sort of head injury that affects his impulse control in the future, I can guarantee you he will never grab an adult like that. He gets riled up when he plays with his friends (excitable), but he has never hit another kid, never been in a fight.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:57 AM

The fact its a female teacher and male student makes 0 difference. Stop living in the past, we all are equal now. EQUAL

Old 04-22-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whymeidontknow View Post
"i think" improve your reading comprehension please. Then u went on to call this a grown man.? No she did it because hes a kid and she thought she had that power. When he physically showed her that she did not have that power she realized she was wrong and released the phone. You wouldn't try to take anything from a grown man because you are not the police nor is that teacher. Also just cause something is a written school policy does not make it correct or LAW.
The fact that you feel the need to insult people who disagree with you demonstrates to me that you are not capable of having a debate on this issue. It is ironic that a person with your spelling and sentence structure skills would admonish someone for reading comprehension, but c'est la vie.

A 17 year old is physically a grown man. Maybe not mentally, but physically he is. Which is why it is inappropriate for him to physically force his will on someone. But you think it's okay to physically force yourself on someone to demonstrate your "power". So there is no point in talking to you.

I have a friend who is a teacher, and she constantly amazes me with her "parent" stories. She once had a child who stabbed another child in the arm with a pair of scissors, drawing blood. When they attempted to suspend that student, the students parents insisted that her child was a wonderful boy, and that the other little child must have been "asking for it".

Sometimes I wonder for the future of our society. You may think it's okay for your child to be a bully, but I can guarantee you that the rest of the big bad world won't. So when your child leaves the nest and has to make it on his own, he is going to be rather ill-equipped to deal with life. And it will be your fault.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:05 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
No she did it because hes a kid and she thought she had that power. When he physically showed her that she did not have that power she realized she was wrong and released the phone.
What you really mean is:
Quote:
No she did it because hes a student at the school and she thought she had been granted that authority by the administration. When he physically assaulted her, she realized she was in danger and released the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin