Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 02:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times

Advertisements

With the return of the rains, I though it might be appropriate to resurrect this:

City of Austin - A Brief History of Austin Floods

City of Austin - Flood :: New Floodplain Maps

Austin, Texas "One of the most flood-prone regions in North America"

Driving emergencies, driving through floods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 04:47 PM

264 posts, read 1,094,727 times
Today I'll just sit down and admire and enjoy the rain... It is beautiful!

Old 09-11-2009, 05:15 PM

786 posts, read 2,763,032 times
I just heard my first official use of the emergency broadcast system on the radio. It was for the flooding in Williamson County.

Lets hope people drive smart and turn around if there is flowing water on the road.

When my parents were down from Canada in April, I pointed out the low water crossings and lectured them on proper procedure if they were driving around. My in-laws are now down for a few weeks and just took off for a few days touring around before they end up in San Antonio. My wide forgot to tell them about the dangers of flooded roads. Lets hope they use common sense.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:33 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
Quote:
My wide forgot to tell them
That would get me in SOOOO much trouble.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:59 PM

786 posts, read 2,763,032 times

too late to edit.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:37 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,003,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post

too late to edit.

which is another reason we should have that ability. Personally, there are people that seem to hit the quote button as soon as I've typed the words; seemingly without time to edit. I would really like to know why we cannot edit or delete our posts. Yes, I do realize city data "owns" our words but still...

Is city data someones thesis project?

Old 09-12-2009, 07:48 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
City-Data does not "own" our words - you own the copyright to your words from the moment they are put down in permanent form (and per the U.S. Copyright Office, typing them on a computer qualifies). It's automatic. That's why the TOS includes this:

By registering and posting on City-Data.com's Forums you grant owners of City-data.com forum a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive right to license, use, modify, or publish your posts in any media and manner whatsoever.

This means that City-Data has your permission to put your posts on the City-Data site, among other things, which they could not do without your explicit permission (which the above constitutes). Note "non-exclusive", which means that you, as the copyright holder, can post the same words elsewhere or give someone else permission to use them.

Reading that, it's a bit more extreme than most of the similar things that I see on forums, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone could challenge them in court for certain uses (other forums have tried to claim more than reasonable rights to the words people put on them and have been brought up short by the actual law, and most have something about having permission until you delete the content from the site), especially that "licensing" bit, but they still do not own the copyright, the author does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin