Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 AM

36 posts, read 148,204 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for an office job, hopefulling doing financial analyst work, or some kind of internal auditing work. Just your basic 9-5 job Monday - Friday, although overtime doesn't bother me. Salary wise I am looking for something close to what I would make here, but being that the cost of living is cheaper in Austin and being that I want to move there I would be willing to start out around $35 - $40K a year. Maybe a little less, but not too much less. In Detroit I coud easily start out close to $50K+, but the cost of living is also more here, and well the winters are horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 09:46 AM

I actually wouldn't mind getting into school finance, particulary charter school finance as that is what my thesis is on, and that is an area where I have the most experience. I have a strong interest in Government Accounting and with a little more experience I could right the CPA exam, but I'm not sure if that is a move I want to make or not.

Does anyone know how to get in touch with the authorizers of the charter schools in the Austin area? I currently work for the largest one in the nation and wouldn't mind continuing my current line of work.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:49 PM

6 posts, read 24,221 times
Dude, you should be able to get more than $35K being a financial analyst. Don't sell yourself short. Check out austin statesman jobs or careerbuilder.com. Also check out recruiters : maxwell , locke and ritter.

good luck,

Old 05-08-2007, 09:52 PM

I haven't checked the statesman in a while. Careerbuilder.com is filled with work from home jobs and companies that I have heard horrible things about (Robert Half Accounting, KForce, etc). I'd only take a 35K job to get me out there so I can search for a better paying job. Figure I might have better luck finding a job once I am actually in the city. I have not tried the recruiters, but I will for sure. Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:44 AM

6 posts, read 24,221 times
Patrick,

I am currently in the job market too and am moving to Austin soon. I do senior level financial analysis , so I have a lot of recruiter contacts and such. Let me know if you want some of the names and I can email them to you offline.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:31 AM

11 posts, read 33,636 times
Default Administrative Jobs.

I am also interested in the job market for Austin. Though I should say that after reading all these posts I am more worried than anything.
I am currently an Office/HR Manager for a small (47) person engineering and product development firm here in Seattle. I have a BA, 5 years experience running offices and have done everything from answer phones to recruit employees, plan Xmas parties and make sure my CEO's mom has flowers on mom's day. I make 50k now with a yearly bonus + full health/vision/dental(sadly, my bf and I are barely getting by up here and will never make enough up her to buy a home or start a family).

All I've seen on Monster, indeed, the Statesman and some other sites are either 1) listings for low pay low skill admin/secretary work 2) the same ads but through Appleone and other agencies 3) work from home nonsense.

My bf and I are planning a move next year (time to get debt in order and be there during a transition at my company). I need suggestions about which agency to use, if there are recruiters who specialize in higher level admin, what wages are like for my skill set any help would be appreciated. Also, up here we have Seattle Business Monthly and they just released a list of the best companies to work for do you guys have anything like that? I tried googling best places to work in Austin and came up with a bunch of press releases from 2001 and other outdated stuff.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: