Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 07:55 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
But if you go back to the OP, the OP never mentioned that she or he was from either Houston or DC, he or she was just asking about whether there would be a loop. The OP also never said Austin sucked. I agree, there are a few people on this board that b*tch and moan about Austin shortcomings and cannot wait to get out, but they are very much in the minority. However, you are often quick to jump on anyone that has a question or suggestion, painting him or her as a malcontent or accusing him or her of wanting to turn Austin into wherever they came from. That's what I mean by a bee in your bonnet - a rush to judgment where the judgment isn't supported by the facts.

And getting anywhere you want quickly, I gotta say, driving from SW Austin to Phils Ice House on Burnet last Tuesday night at 5 PM took about an hour and 10 minutes. That was 15 miles in 70 minutes. Not very quick.
You're right that I might be hypersensitive about that after a couple of years on CD. I'll try to keep an eye on it. However, going back to the OP, they clearly were comparing Austin to those two cities and suggesting that we change to be more like them, whether they said they were from there or not (they appear to be from Tampa, FL).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 08:13 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
It's Austin 101: There will be no highway loop in the city, ever. Just forget about it. Don't even ask. Don't even think about it too loud.

Other topics in the Austin 101 course -

* Sports: There shall be no sports team bigger than the Longhorns
* How long you've lived here and how much you love it: a qualification for your next job in Austin
* Getting around: Why public transportation doesn't exist in the "good parts" of town
* Style: How to wear camo shorts and a t-shirt on any occasion
* Food and Drink: Why you can never have too many iconic Tex-Mex establishments
* Environmentalism: Why we like development now but still don't like roads
* Politics: How to stay liberal, but only by Texas standards
* Neighborhoods: Why you need to warn your friends about Williamson County

Old 09-21-2009, 08:17 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You're right that I might be hypersensitive about that after a couple of years on CD. I'll try to keep an eye on it. However, going back to the OP, they clearly were comparing Austin to those two cities and suggesting that we change to be more like them, whether they said they were from there or not (they appear to be from Tampa, FL).
I think the OP was just using those loops as an example of what he or she was talking about. It is quicker to write something like that then to explain what a loop is. Believe it or not, before I'd moved to Austin in 99, I'd never heard of a loop because I'd never lived anywhere that had one. The OP was just asking if there are plans for one, that's not really a comparison of cities.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:46 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I think the OP was just using those loops as an example of what he or she was talking about. It is quicker to write something like that then to explain what a loop is. Believe it or not, before I'd moved to Austin in 99, I'd never heard of a loop because I'd never lived anywhere that had one. The OP was just asking if there are plans for one, that's not really a comparison of cities.
exactly!

tis a shame there is no plans to finish it. can make getting around MUCH quicker...

Old 09-21-2009, 09:19 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
exactly!

tis a shame there is no plans to finish it. can make getting around MUCH quicker...
Well if you look at Google maps, between 45N/130, there's a pretty good half-moon around the city right now(45 S now connects directly to 35 S near Creedmoor). The only way I see that connecting all the way around Austin would be to make 71 (west) and FM 620 a freeway/toll road. I don't think that will happen, nor do I think it necessary. That's some nice country out there and cutting a highway through could really be counter-productive to keeping with Austin's (hopefully)anti-sprawl plans moving forward.

As mentioned on another recent thread, I think completing several unfinished interchanges/connections combined with a more vigorous campaign (possible price cuts and mandates) to woo thru-traffic and truckers onto 130 would help the area tremendously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin