Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 02:41 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times

Advertisements

Hello! My friends and I will in town Halloween weekend (Thursday - Sunday) and am looking for recommendations on places to eat, places for live music, cool bars, cool shopping, etc. I have never been to Austin before (or Texas in general).

I'll be going to see Widespread Panic at Austin Music Hall on Friday and Saturday nights, but looking for things to do before/after. I am a big foodie and hear Austin has some great Tex-Mex and other places. Let me know where to go!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 06:16 PM

Hmmmmm........is there nothing to do? Point me in the right direction!

Old 10-14-2009, 08:06 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Hello! My friends and I will in town Halloween weekend (Thursday - Sunday) and am looking for recommendations on places to eat, places for live music, cool bars, cool shopping, etc. I have never been to Austin before (or Texas in general).

I'll be going to see Widespread Panic at Austin Music Hall on Friday and Saturday nights, but looking for things to do before/after. I am a big foodie and hear Austin has some great Tex-Mex and other places. Let me know where to go!

Thanks
6th street is a big party halloween weekend. As for food, just search the forum for various food places.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:32 PM

291 posts, read 800,755 times
Go to 6th street for Halloween.

Shady Grove on Barton Springs for an "Austin" experience. Get the Hippie Sandwich and fries

My favorite Mexican restaurant is Chuy's

Lance Armstrong says Uchi's on S. Congress has the best sushi in the country (not just Texas)!

Fonda San Miguel has fancy (interior) Mexican food

If you stay away from the chain restaurant, you really can't go too wrong with Austin restaurants.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:49 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
After the show on Saturday, just walk over to 6th Street if you can handle the crowds. The street and the bars there will be packed with people.

Make sure to get to the Austin Music Hall very early to get in line if you want your choice of standing/seating areas. I'm not crazy about that venue as they really pack the people in there and the seating is bleachers on the second floor. It's alright though as long as you get in line early.

Since you're a music fan, you should check out Wild About Music on 6th and Congress. It has a bunch of unique music memorabilia.

Wild About Music- Music Gifts, Music Art

You should also stop by Waterloo Records on 6th and Lamar. It's the main Independent music store in Austin. It's right across from the flagship Whole Foods where you can get a really nice meal. It's definitely worth checking out.

Waterloo Records & Video - Online CD Store and Texas Music Catalog (http://www.waterloorecords.com/home.html - broken link)

You might want to check out the University if that interests you at all. If you want to eat good Tex-Mex with the college crowd, Trudy's is really good on 30th St. Kerbey Lane on campus (Guadalupe) is a popular local place especially for breakfast and it's open 24 hours.

Trudys Tex-Mex Restaurant and Bar | Austin, Texas | Homepage
Kerbey Lane Cafe - 24 hour dining at Kerbey Lane Cafe - Austin Texas

Old 10-15-2009, 09:53 AM

324 posts, read 1,311,960 times
do south congress (main street of austin, north is the capitol, south of the river is "soco")............shopping/eating/people watching

Old 10-15-2009, 10:12 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfry View Post
do south congress (main street of austin, north is the capitol, south of the river is "soco")............shopping/eating/people watching
True. You should definitely spend some time in SoCo, just south of the river on Congress being that you're a Widespread Panic fan (insert jam band fan stereotype).

Old 10-21-2009, 09:18 PM

Thanks everyone! We are in our 30's so not really looking for the college aged crowd. Can't wait to shop and people watch around South Congress

Which is the better bbq place -Lambert's or Stubb's? or someplace else?

Old 10-22-2009, 11:35 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Thanks everyone! We are in our 30's so not really looking for the college aged crowd. Can't wait to shop and people watch around South Congress

Which is the better bbq place -Lambert's or Stubb's? or someplace else?
Those are two very different places. Lambert's is like a fancy restaurant/steak house among some other fancy stores/restaurants along the 2nd street district. The BBQ isn't as expensive as the steaks, thankfully... so you don't have to spend an arm and a leg if you don't want to. Stubbs is a great place to see a band, or casual BBQ (the music atmosphere is superior to the BBQ, IMO). The other option downtown is Iron Works, which is more of a traditional BBQ place, nothing too fancy but excellent BBQ (perhaps the best downtown). It's closed on Sunday, though. Lamberts and Stubbs are open 7 days.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:45 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
Curra's (on Oltorf) has the best mexican food in Austin, in my opinion. Guerro's (on S. Congress) has fantastic margharitas & I like the atmosphere a lot... but I'm not wild about the food.

Re: Stubbs: Personally, I thought the BBQ chicken was ridiculously over-priced and not that good. My husband liked it a lot, though. I had the best cobbler I think I've ever had there, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: