Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Drive-In Theater in Austin?
Could work, I'd go 21 84.00%
nah, bad idea 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:22 PM

809 posts, read 1,862,235 times

Advertisements

THIS is one thing that would make Austin complete. you agree? disagree?

I've been to them before as a kid and they are cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Drive In Theater in Austin?-drive-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 03:27 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,970 times
Yes, agree 100%. I spent many nights at the drive-in with my girlfriend (now wife) back in the day. In NY it was cool enough at night in the summer to actually open the windows and enjoy the night air. We would watch one movie and then sneak over to the other screen with the headlights off and catch a double feature.

I think a drive-in would do good (not great) business here. It would have to be on the outskirts of town as I couldn't see the "valuable" downtown real estate being used for such a purpose.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:41 PM

385 posts, read 1,248,633 times
Yes! I would friggin love to have a drive in close by! I actually did a search looking for one when I first moved here. I was so disappointed. This seems like a must have in Austin, IMO.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Yes, agree 100%. I spent many nights at the drive-in with my girlfriend (now wife) back in the day. In NY it was cool enough at night in the summer to actually open the windows and enjoy the night air. We would watch one movie and then sneak over to the other screen with the headlights off and catch a double feature.
haha...me too. we also went to see Godzilla or some Bruce Lee flick...

Quote:
I think a drive-in would do good (not great) business here. It would have to be on the outskirts of town as I couldn't see the "valuable" downtown real estate being used for such a purpose.
I agree. It would have to be located somewhere like Lakeway with a sunset involved. but it could work and I can see a lot of business going in during the summer months.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:46 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
We could go for that, provided that it isn't too expensive. I have no idea what drive-ins cost now days. Haven't been to one in 40 years.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:57 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I would absolutely LOVE it!!!! I hadn't been to one in years (since I was a kid) and there were two in Denver when we moved up there a few years back. We used to frequent that instead of the regular theatre. It was a perfect place to take our daughter, even though she was still a baby. I would definitely go to one if it were here. There is one drive in up near Killeen, but I think it's the only one in the Hill Country region.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:15 PM

535 posts, read 1,296,020 times
If your desperate for the drive-in feel, you can watch movies from your car on an outside screen on the weekends at Planks at Parmer and I-35. :-)

Old 12-02-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
We could go for that, provided that it isn't too expensive. I have no idea what drive-ins cost now days. Haven't been to one in 40 years.
I remember my ol' man took all of us in a carload and I think it was only $10 bucks for the whole carload of us back then. of course you had to buy food too. I'd say they would charge regular ticket prices $8 because parking is always FREE

I could see a Schlotzky's, Wich Wich and Starbucks vying for the concession spots.

the sound system would be lightyears better than it was back then with the little window speaker. Dolby and THX would vy for that

Somebody with some influence needs to put this bug in the Mayor's ear. it will be a fantastic revenue stream year round. low maintenance. high yield. It will compete with the movie houses BIG TIME as a fresh alternative and a flashback to the good old days.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:38 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
I have a rather unusual (I think) memory of the drive-in I grew up with in Wisconsin. Our church used to have Easter sunrise service on the roof of the concession stand! Then all the church members would pull into the spaces such that they could put the speakers in the car and attend church in their pajamas, if they wanted. I remember attending in my PJs as a little kid, and later singing with the children's choir up there on the roof. That was probably the late 50's or early 60's. Must have been discontinued, because I don't remember it in high school. At that point, I just remember going to movies.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luksky View Post
If your desperate for the drive-in feel, you can watch movies from your car on an outside screen on the weekends at Planks at Parmer and I-35. :-)
hmm..didn't know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin