Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 04:26 PM

17 posts, read 322,437 times

Advertisements

OK here is my first post and it is about nothing exciting, just humidity.

I was wondering just how humid is it there? We live in Ohio and it is pretty humid here. Last year we went down to Corpus Christie in July/Aug and it was horrible. We camped and we had to actually sleep with wet towels on top of us! It was crazy. So is it that humid in Austin? Is it as bad as Florida?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2006, 10:34 PM

364 posts, read 1,420,808 times
Austin is not as humid as a coastal town. You won't have a problem.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:42 PM

92 posts, read 673,792 times
Default Austin humidity?

People who've never lived anywhere else except Austin complain about the humidity. I laugh at them! I've lived near Corpus, found it derned near unbearable. Yes, it is HOT here, but humidity is nuthin' like Tex Gulf Coast, Houston, or Corpus....down there, humidities are often in the 90% range.
Around here, closer to 30-40%. , sometimes a bit higher (especially after a rain) in the afternoons, and even when it's 100 degrees or more, it makes ALL the difference in the world compared to closer to Texas Gulf Coast....so that's why I scoff at them...they don't know what humidity is!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrph View Post
OK here is my first post and it is about nothing exciting, just humidity.

I was wondering just how humid is it there? We live in Ohio and it is pretty humid here. Last year we went down to Corpus Christie in July/Aug and it was horrible. We camped and we had to actually sleep with wet towels on top of us! It was crazy. So is it that humid in Austin? Is it as bad as Florida?

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2006, 07:30 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Central Texas and Ohio will probably have very similar humidities, so I wouldn't worry too much. Lots of people from New Mex. and CO often think it is humid here, but they are coming from almost no humidity. Don't worry, it is NOTHING like the coast :-P

Old 08-30-2006, 09:42 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
Default Moved from Florida

Hi,

We moved to Austin from Florida and humidity is definitely less here. There are days where it gets a little more humid than usual and when it's 100+ it's just hot no matter what the humidity is!

Old 08-30-2006, 01:41 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,670 times
I just visited Austin for the first time last weekend and while it was humid, it wasn't too bad. And I'm from a dry climate.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:32 PM

17 posts, read 322,437 times
Thanks. I am so happy to hear all of you say the same thing I am telling you, that trip to Corpus Christie was one for the books! Now should I tell you about the mosquitos that were there that big enough to carry off a small child??? LOL

My Dad was from Texas and no matter how many years he was gone, he was always a Texan at heart and he let eveyone know it! LOL Now he is gone and I know he will be thrilled to see me finally get to his beloved Texas. Thanks!

Old 09-03-2006, 02:56 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
yall just dont know humidity until you experience it in coastal Georgia..marshy swampy humidity with no breeze...just stagnant air...too many Georgia pines that just seem to trap any breeze i guess...like a wet blanket over you where you cant breathe....i visited Corpus for interviews two weeks ago and at least there is wind there. to me it was BALMY humidity, kinda like i feel when i get off the plane in Hawaii. NOTHING like the swampy marshy humidity of the low country......cant wait to move this month

Old 10-14-2006, 11:17 AM

223 posts, read 1,065,546 times
Default Re: Austin Humidity

Just read your post and had to add my comments. I'm also originally from the Midwest but have lived in central N.Carolina now for 20 years. You may think you know humidity in the Midwest, but it is NOTHING compared to N.C. It took me 2-3 years to adjust to the summers here, and am still occasionally stifled by it! That said, I believe I have some experience with which to compare Austin. We visited Austin and the Hill Country in July 2005 for a week. I fell completely in love with the area and even though it was very hot (95+), it did not feel all that humid compared to the Carolinas. In fact, it reminded me more of a S.West dry kind of heat, with a nice breeze most of the time. All in all, I preferred it to the muggy, buggy, hard-to-breathe heat of the summers here. Don't get me wrong, N.C. is beautiful and green with lots of friendly people, and the weather is great 8 months out of the year. But if I was choosing on humidity, all other factors being equal, Austin has all the good things of this area and a more vibrant city atmosphere. That's just my opinion and humidity tolerance is kind of an individual thing, but thought this might help some.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:40 PM

123 posts, read 718,237 times
greenrph - I moved here from Ohio the last week of July... HOT August here in Austin. And while it was hot, it was a different hot than Ohio because, imo, Ohio's humidity is worse. Here, it's just sizzling hot, not humid hot. Does that make sense?

I absolutely love it here and only wish I would have moved sooner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin