Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:58 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,798,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
What are you talking about? Are you a trained physician? Do you know more about shoulder and vertebrae injuries than the Longhorn team doctors? And where was our defense? You mean our defense that prevented Alabama from scoring for almost half of the game? UT doesn't need fairweather fans like you. Seriously. Go be a Texas Tech fan if you like to turn on your own after a loss.

Horns played as best as as they could despite the circumstances. Gilbert deserves huge kudos ... that kid is going to make the next few years of Horns football a LOT of fun. Congrats to the Crimson Tide. You guys won the game fair and square but in my opinion, only because we lost McCoy.
Very much agree.

With a QB who was playing in HS stadiums last year, UT had a fine comeback against the #1 team in the country.... from 17 down to 3 down (& they had the ball) with 3 min. left in the game.

W/O that odd shovel pass call & w/o a couple of dropped passes....the horns actually could have won....even with a true freshman at QB.

Bama deserved the title....stuff happens.....but Jackson, don't be dissing Colt, the defense or the frosh QB. It was an odd game, but both teams played hard & for the most part, played well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 10:18 AM

809 posts, read 1,864,916 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? Are you a trained physician? Do you know more about shoulder and vertebrae injuries than the Longhorn team doctors? And where was our defense? You mean our defense that prevented Alabama from scoring for almost half of the game? UT doesn't need fairweather fans like you. Seriously. Go be a Texas Tech fan if you like to turn on your own after a loss.

Horns played as best as as they could despite the circumstances. Gilbert deserves huge kudos ... that kid is going to make the next few years of Horns football a LOT of fun. Congrats to the Crimson Tide. You guys won the game fair and square but in my opinion, only because we lost McCoy.
Oh c'mon. Colt obviously wasn't in any serious pain because he was clapping like a cheerleader on the sidelines and slapping shoulder pads. Even if he came in just to hand it off would've been better than not returning at all. they said his Xrays were negative and he had no bruises. sounds like he just took a good hit with some soreness, to me. I guess his Dad called the shot on his return to keep his fragile son's NFL stock from falling any further than it already has, because of him not returning.

the difference between the 1st round and 6th round draft pick. but at least Daddy McCoy gets his NFL wish for his son right?

pssht!!...and the Texas Defense. OMG..what was that?!?! .Bama took them to the woodshed in a hurry!...geesh.

Gilbert is the future and should've been more involved in the present season. Maybe Texas would've pulled it out because it's obvious his arm is stronger than Colts.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Very much agree.

W/O that odd shovel pass call & w/o a couple of dropped passes....the horns actually could have won....even with a true freshman at QB.

Bama deserved the title....stuff happens.....but Jackson, don't be dissing Colt, the defense or the frosh QB. It was an odd game, but both teams played hard & for the most part, played well.
What game were you watching? did you see all those missed tackles by theTexas defense? Ingram and the backup RB ran all over Texas. Kindle was the ONLY bright spot on that defense.

Did you see all the dropped passes by the Texas WR's? Gilbert had 3 TD's but one was dropped by Malcolm Williams. just pitiful play by Texas all around.

Alabama made Texas look like a highschool team.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:23 PM

15,281 posts, read 35,733,579 times
What game were YOU watching? . Texas outgained Bama in total yardage. Bama was 2-12 on 3rd down. Give credit to Bama, they were the better team, but pitiful play all around is not really the case, imho. Yes, the offense looked especially inept right after McCoy was hurt, but I think it was the smart move to let some of the adrenaline burn out of Gilbert before trying to make him win the game with his arm. His first few passes were, oh, about 20 yards off mark?

It would have been great if Gilbert could have gotten more experience this year prior to being thrust into the NC game, but he is a true freshman, meaning he has had very little time to learn the college game (whatever his potential may be). Colt was at least a redshirt freshman when he took over. The big gap between QBs is always an issue, especially if your starter is really good. The heir apparent and would-be backup this year was Jeavan Snead, who transferred to Mississippi state so that he could start. He is a QB with incredible ability, so he did not want to back up Colt for three years and only get one year at starting QB. Can't say I blame him, but it is just one of the many problems in trying to put together a consistent program.

The missed tackles were at least partially due to Ingrams rigthful claim to the Heisman. He is very, very hard to hit straight on, ask any team that has played Bama this year. Also, the Bama O-Line did some great blocking on the sweep type runs that left that long run up the middle set up perfectly.

I did think Bama got complacent in the 3rd quarter, but I think the UT Def. had also emotionally recovered somewhat from the loss of McCoy. Colt is not the heisman winner, but he may be the MVP of college football....he is the engine that runs this team. That can be, obviously, a major liability.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:22 PM

426 posts, read 1,676,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
Oh c'mon. Colt obviously wasn't in any serious pain because he was clapping like a cheerleader on the sidelines and slapping shoulder pads. Even if he came in just to hand it off would've been better than not returning at all. they said his Xrays were negative and he had no bruises. sounds like he just took a good hit with some soreness, to me. I guess his Dad called the shot on his return to keep his fragile son's NFL stock from falling any further than it already has, because of him not returning.

the difference between the 1st round and 6th round draft pick. but at least Daddy McCoy gets his NFL wish for his son right?
Quote:
PASADENA, Calif. – Colt McCoy lined up about 7 yards from his dad, Brad. This was inside the Texas locker room underneath the Rose Bowl bleachers, the Longhorns quarterback missing the biggest game of his career, about to attempt the most important throw of his life.

Colt had the ball and was going to pass it to his dad as a slew of doctors and trainers watched closely. How many times had these two thrown a football back and forth, from their yard in little Tuscola, Texas, to the practice fields of Jim Ned High School, where the dad was the coach and the son was the star?

“Millions,” Colt said. “Millions of times.”

Colt had just lied to the Texas doctors and said that he was capable of returning to the BCS title game against Alabama. A hit by the Tide’s Marcell Dareus, on the fifth play of the game, had sent him to this locker room. He wanted back out there. So he tried to sound convincing despite the fact his arm felt “like a noodle.”

He hadn’t come this far to sit. Colt McCoy was going to lead Texas to the championship. He believed this. He’d always believed this. When he went down, he said, “We were about to dominate.” They weren’t going to lose, not where the Longhorns had last won a championship in 2005, not against a team against whom they’d never lost, certainly not 37-21, as the scoreboard would show after 60 minutes.

Yet on the TV in the corner, he had seen it all fade away in his absence. Alabama was rolling; Texas’ early lead was long gone.

So Colt gripped the ball, stared at his dad and thought, “It’s just a simple throw.” He threw. The ball went soft and wide. Everyone grimaced. “Give it to me again,” Colt demanded. Brad got the ball and gave it back to his son. The next throw was the same, bouncing harmlessly away. “Give it to me again,” Colt said, again. Brad did.

It was the same. It was over. Colt couldn’t throw it 7 yards to his own father. “My arm was dead,” he said. The dad hugged his son. The son broke down and cried.

“There’s no pain on my body,” Colt said later. “If I was a free safety, I’d go out there and make a tackle. I [just] have no strength to throw a football.”
Agonizing night for Texas QBs - College Football - Rivals.com

If you can't throw, why be in the game? I want to see anyone say he's just looking out for himself after reading that.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
What game were YOU watching? . Texas outgained Bama in total yardage. Bama was 2-12 on 3rd down. Give credit to Bama, they were the better team, but pitiful play all around is not really the case, imho. Yes, the offense looked especially inept right after McCoy was hurt, but I think it was the smart move to let some of the adrenaline burn out of Gilbert before trying to make him win the game with his arm. His first few passes were, oh, about 20 yards off mark?

It would have been great if Gilbert could have gotten more experience this year prior to being thrust into the NC game, but he is a true freshman, meaning he has had very little time to learn the college game (whatever his potential may be). Colt was at least a redshirt freshman when he took over. The big gap between QBs is always an issue, especially if your starter is really good. The heir apparent and would-be backup this year was Jeavan Snead, who transferred to Mississippi state so that he could start. He is a QB with incredible ability, so he did not want to back up Colt for three years and only get one year at starting QB. Can't say I blame him, but it is just one of the many problems in trying to put together a consistent program.

The missed tackles were at least partially due to Ingrams rigthful claim to the Heisman. He is very, very hard to hit straight on, ask any team that has played Bama this year. Also, the Bama O-Line did some great blocking on the sweep type runs that left that long run up the middle set up perfectly.

I did think Bama got complacent in the 3rd quarter, but I think the UT Def. had also emotionally recovered somewhat from the loss of McCoy. Colt is not the heisman winner, but he may be the MVP of college football....he is the engine that runs this team. That can be, obviously, a major liability.
Well I did tell people I talked to that it would come down to least amount of mistakes would win and Texas made a LOT of them. and actually Ingram and Christenson(?) ran right at Texas and I saw Texas players diving at their shoelaces to avoid hitting them. couldv'e been a little scary-ness involved too...

I had the game

Texas 17 Tide 14

Old 01-08-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robino2001 View Post
Agonizing night for Texas QBs - College Football - Rivals.com

If you can't throw, why be in the game? I want to see anyone say he's just looking out for himself after reading that.
I don't buy it.

Colt could've still got in the game just to inspire his troops to win. handing the ball off doesn't take much. dump passes he did in the locker room could work on the field. play through the pain. his shoulder was not dislocated, broken or bruised. only his pride was hurt. I don't think he did all he could to for Texas to win. I think it's all about him not risking his shot at the NFL. chances are he wouldn't have taken another hit like that. And I bet his shoulder will be ready for the Combine. oh well..time to focus on Gilbert.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:10 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,250,568 times
OneJackson - I suggest that McCoy handing the ball off would have done nothing good for Texas. They can't run the ball no matter who is handing it off nor who is carrying it. McCoy has never been said to be a sure NFL player so I think he absolutely would have played if he could have thrown the ball reasonably well.

I think he couldn't. So plan B (Gilbert) was a better choice. Unfortunately the Texas coaching staff had the deer in headlights look just as badly as Gilbert did in the first half. The Texas WRs not named Shipley forgot what their job was. Gilbert hung in there and the coaches helped him in the second half.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:44 PM

426 posts, read 1,676,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
I don't buy it.

Colt could've still got in the game just to inspire his troops to win. handing the ball off doesn't take much. dump passes he did in the locker room could work on the field. play through the pain. his shoulder was not dislocated, broken or bruised. only his pride was hurt. I don't think he did all he could to for Texas to win. I think it's all about him not risking his shot at the NFL. chances are he wouldn't have taken another hit like that. And I bet his shoulder will be ready for the Combine. oh well..time to focus on Gilbert.
That's the entire point of what I posted... supposedly he couldn't throw. Dump pass, screen pass, whatever... if you can't throw a ball with direction - pain or not - don't play.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:47 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,759,201 times
Quote:
but in my opinion, only because we lost McCoy.
Yeah but:

a) You lost him because Alabama's defense was so powerful

b) Part of winning is being more than one dimensional. You guys should have had an experienced back up qb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: