Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 11:04 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,827 times

Advertisements

I think I finally found a bed I wanted at West Elm as their platform beds seem to be much cheaper than Crate & Barrel, which I like but is pricey. Can anyone attest to their quality? I'm not expecting heirloom furniture quality, but not Ikea either. For that matter, I've heard Ikea's quality has improved a lot. Is that true?

Thx for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 09:07 AM

648 posts, read 1,964,894 times
Similar to Crate and Barrell's first floor stuff.....if that makes sense at all to you. Little bit above Target.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:00 AM

151 posts, read 348,549 times
I was not at all impressed with the quality of West Elm's stuff. I looked at their storage bed in Dallas before the Austin store opened and one of the drawers was hard to move on its track.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:44 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
What is the bed made out of? Is it wood veneer? I think it would be okay if you don't have anyone who will damage it. The veneer at West Elm is pretty poor quality. I think you would get a better deal at Crate but West Elm is affordable so if you like it, you should get it. How much is it.

I disagree that the downstairs Crate stuff is a little bit above Target. It is way better than Target. I shop at West Elm but mainly for little storage cubes, decorative things, etc. Their sheets are horrible, don't buy those. They are overpriced and shrink! Target has better sheets. I wouldn't buy a sofa there either but an affordable platform bed wouldn't be bad. Check Crate downstairs, they have very nice platform beds typically under 600.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:28 AM

957 posts, read 3,351,827 times
The platform bed is $400 for the frame and the headboard i want is another $400 or $500. I really like the headboard a lot . The frame is pretty standard but I'm just worried that if I try to buy a frame from somewhere else it won't fit. I have no idea what it's made of. It's not insanely pricey so I'm sure it's probably a veneer.

It seems like Crate & Barrel has better quality, but there's not much there in terms of style that I want. Oh well.

Are there any other stores in Austin that have similar modern style but better quality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin