Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

What is "foodie confirmation"? Other than foodies declaring that a place serves great food? In which case, the answer would be, all of us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 02:54 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Well, you mentioned you were a "confirmed foodie" which gave me visions of some cardinal confirming you (like a religious confirmation).

Old 02-08-2010, 03:03 PM

Ah, got it!

Old 02-08-2010, 03:09 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eribear View Post
I'm actually a vegetarian, though am comfortable in meat-eating establishments assuming they have something for me to eat. I do occasionally eat fish and seafood mainly due to ease. I've seen that Austin is fairly veggie-friendly.
I took a couple vegetarian friends that were in town to Kerbey Lane and they really liked it. (Don't go to the NorthWest location. Any of the other 3 locations are great.)

Kerbey Lane Cafe | Homegrown austin food!

We also hit up Whole Foods on 6th as others have suggested. I really like to take people to Central Market Cafe on North Lamar. The food is really good and you can check the calendar on-line to see if any free live music is scheduled on the patio.

Central Market | Stores | Austin-North Lamar

I don't think right around Central Market is in your price range for what you're looking for, but it's a nice area to check out and it sounds like it has everything that you want. You probably just need to venture a bit further North of there to a place like Allandale as suggested by others.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:40 PM

41 posts, read 73,371 times
Great suggestions everyone!
Thanks for being so pleasant too... Thats such a change from the people around me in Cali! Guess thats why we are interested in going to Austin! Just wish we had considered it in the first place

Old 02-08-2010, 04:53 PM

There are enough vegetarians in Central Texas that most restaurants will have something you can eat - and enjoy, just as important! A lot of them have their menus online, too, so you can check in advance.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:39 AM

544 posts, read 1,667,811 times
if the weather's nice you might wanna do the south congress scene saturday afternoon -- a slide over to jovita's (it ain't the food but there's lots of fun) on s 1st is always fun --

Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Good suggestions above. I only take quarrel with describing z Tejas as texmex. They don't have enchiladas with ranchero sauce. I think instead they are more of a "southwestern" cuisine. Great recommendation in any case.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:45 AM

372 posts, read 1,149,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Good suggestions above. I only take quarrel with describing z Tejas as texmex. They don't have enchiladas with ranchero sauce. I think instead they are more of a "southwestern" cuisine. Great recommendation in any case.
Good point. Definitely Southwestern cuisine. If you are going to be on South Congress you might also try Guero's Taco Bar (tacos and tex mex) on South Congress. Another place I like a lot is Curra's Grill on Oltorf (interior Mexican cusine).

Old 02-09-2010, 12:00 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaupas View Post
Good point. Definitely Southwestern cuisine. If you are going to be on South Congress you might also try Guero's Taco Bar (tacos and tex mex) on South Congress. Another place I like a lot is Curra's Grill on Oltorf (interior Mexican cusine).
The best hands down was Rio Grande before they closed last month, which was a real loss (same for Shuggies). I like Guero's, but many seem to think it's "trendy" and not really good. Curras is a good hipster hangout, as is Polvos if you like interior mexican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin