Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:18 PM

7 posts, read 11,561 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Austin within the next 6 months (don't you just LOVE all of us out of towners invading?) Anyways, where I live right now, its very family oriented. We have a local printed book that comes out twice a year that advertises local businesses and advises you of upcoming events in the city.

For Example:
*Easter Egg hunt at the local park (for free) for kids
*Summer Concert Series in the park
*Movies in the park
*Parades and specifically children oriented events
*Local community Arts & Crafts Fair
*Pumpkin Patch/Ranch
*Local paid classes (ie: swim classes, etc...)

Does this sound familiar to those of you living in the areas of Cedar Park or Round Rock? Or do you know of a website that I should be visiting in order to get this information? I would really appreciate it. Its the ONE thing we LOVE about the area we are living in now and hope to continue with similar activies in Austin.

Much thanks for reading and/or responding!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 09:11 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
All you have to do is throw a stick in any direction in Austin, toward any town and find all of that...even in towns more than 30 minutes outside of Austin. Community Impact is one of the little papers for Williamson County that covers all of those things for Cedar Park, Round Rock, Leander, Georgetown, Pflugerville, Hutto and Taylor. They also have a Travis County version. Google Community Impact Paper.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
There are a couple/three family/child-oriented free magazines that come out once a month here that you can pick up at grocery stores and such. One of them is Austin Family; I'm trying to remember the name of the other one but it's late and it's not surfacing in my brain.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:19 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
You pretty much have to hunt for it. It's not like the midwest where they have tons of seasonal activities for kids. The local pumpkin patches are a sad state of affairs. The one in Marble Falls is a little better, but that is a 1.5 hour drive.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:48 PM

7 posts, read 11,561 times
Great - Thank you all for responding!! I will totally check out the local papers you've recommended.

Llkltk - as for the pumpkin patch/ranch, its ok if its a drive. Its something special we like to do and that would be OK with us!! We currently drive 30 minutes but its fun for our daughter.

Thanks again everyone!!

Old 02-09-2010, 01:04 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
My experience the 7 years I lived in Circle C Ranch was very much child/family oriented and I think you can find that in many areas of Austin.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:44 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
All you have to do is follow the well rated elementary schools in and around Austin, and in the communities that feed those schools you'll find abundant kids and kid-friendly activities.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:01 AM

99 posts, read 421,823 times
Austin and the surrounding area is a very kid friendly place. Since you're not here yet online is the easiest way to research. Some links to help see what's out there:

A calendar of upcoming events, it's got a little bit too much - Parent:Wise Austin Calendar (http://parentwiseaustin.com/cgi-bin/CalendarScript/calendar.pl - broken link)

Another site with a nice collection of links
KidzAustin.com (Kids Austin) - Kids activities, party planning, kids eat free, events, more in or around Austin TX

HTH

Old 02-09-2010, 07:03 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
If you're going to be purchasing or renting a house in Cedar Park or Round Rock, you'll find that some of the events mentioned are put on by the individual neighborhoods. You should check out he neighborhood/HOA newsletters for each individual neighborhood that you're considering as well. If I didn't have a kid, I would probably complain that Cedar Park and Round Rock are TOO family/kid oriented.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:28 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
All you have to do is follow the well rated elementary schools in and around Austin, and in the communities that feed those schools you'll find abundant kids and kid-friendly activities.
Dang!

I'm here to tell you that Austin is so child-friendly that even kids who live in the heart of the city and attend less than perfect schools have a host of kid-friendly activities to attend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin