Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:02 AM

22 posts, read 74,197 times

Advertisements

You can always live with us college folk in San Marcos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 08:38 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,066,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutely View Post
hardcore environmentalist?

do your friends head bang while they seperate their recycling? what exactly constitutes an environmentalist that is hardcore about their interests in the environment? an environmentalist IS environmentalism, nothing more and nothing less. some aid in environmental concerns more than others, but that certainly wouldn't make them "hardcore".

leaning towards vegetarianism?

you either ARE vegetarian or you aren't. there isn't an ambiguous fine line.
It's an expression.

You're acting like a troll. Or would you feel better if I said "you're a troll" after all, what's the difference between acting like one and being one?

I wrote leaning toward being vegetarianism, because since they've moved down here I've not seen them eat meat at all, but I haven't asked whether they've made the shift.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:30 AM

163 posts, read 318,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
It's an expression.

You're acting like a troll. Or would you feel better if I said "you're a troll" after all, what's the difference between acting like one and being one?

I wrote leaning toward being vegetarianism, because since they've moved down here I've not seen them eat meat at all, but I haven't asked whether they've made the shift.
have a laugh, i wasn't intending what i wrote to come off as an insult.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:52 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,109,820 times
Quote:
i wouldn't taken anyone's opinion into consideration who considers vegans, cyclists and environmentalists as "those types". while these interests certainly are obviously not confined to austin, i believe you'll find what you're looking for in austin when compared to any other central texas city. in austin, they are contained more predominantly within downtown, south, and east side.

as a vegetarian, former cyclist (injury), and environmentalist from northern indiana, i think you would find what you are looking for in south or east austin, if in fact you do choose austin. i believe the sense of community amongst "us types", is most developed in these areas. i live in a neighborhood called travis heights, and feel very comfortable with my surroundings.

feel free to PM me with any questions you have. i've yet to find a kinship amongst city-data posters concerning vegetarianism / veganism, or environmentalism, so i wouldn't expect to find the quality advice you're looking for here. there are certainly those of us who understand you interests, and are able to advise you, but we're few and far between, and are left in the shadows by the more vocal majority. there are several ridiculous misconceptions about cycling that run around here as well.
Perhaps if your posts were less critical, insulting, offensive and self-serving you would have less trouble finding friends here.

Quote:
have a laugh, i wasn't intending what i wrote to come off as an insult.
Obviously you need to work on that. Jennibc is not the only person who read it that way.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:01 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,109,820 times
Quote:
hardcore environmentalist?

do your friends head bang while they seperate their recycling? what exactly constitutes an environmentalist that is hardcore about their interests in the environment? an environmentalist IS environmentalism, nothing more and nothing less. some aid in environmental concerns more than others, but that certainly wouldn't make them "hardcore".

leaning towards vegetarianism?

you either ARE vegetarian or you aren't. there isn't an ambiguous fine line.
I understand perfectly what a "hardcore" environmentalist is. There are ranges of interest, commitment and concern in everything, from extremists to being mildly interested.

Your comment << an environmentalist IS environmentalism, nothing more and nothing less.>> sounds like an extremist opinion to me. Everyone has to agree with your degree of interest, commitment and concern or they are not really an environmentalist?

Old 03-14-2010, 06:49 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,714,119 times
i wouldn't taken anyone's opinion into consideration who considers vegans, cyclists and environmentalists as "those types".

Will you stop picking apart everything I type? In case anyone got the wrong idea here, I wrote "those types", not as a derogatory term, but so that I didn't have to type out vegan, cyclist and environmentalist. Today I hung out with a lovely group of vegetarian, running environmentalists that practice yoga. I like all kinds of people. It doesn't matter what they eat, what they do, what they ride; as long as we have something in common and get along.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Perhaps if your posts were less critical, insulting, offensive and self-serving you would have less trouble finding friends here.

Obviously you need to work on that. Jennibc is not the only person who read it that way.

i certainly am not interested in creating digital friendships with anyone on city-data or any website for that matter, nor have i ever implied such an interest. i merely stated that i've yet to talk to anyone on city-data that shares the same interests.

i participate on city-data for my amusment during a portion of my off time at work. i initially was interested in obtaining more information about austin and it's population, but quickly realized that this website has more entertainment value than substance.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I understand perfectly what a "hardcore" environmentalist is. There are ranges of interest, commitment and concern in everything, from extremists to being mildly interested.

Your comment << an environmentalist IS environmentalism, nothing more and nothing less.>> sounds like an extremist opinion to me. Everyone has to agree with your degree of interest, commitment and concern or they are not really an environmentalist?
your sense of humor is as lacking as your understanding of environmentalism. i think anyone actively involved in environmental concerns, could see the humor in the term "hardcore environmentalist".

how in the world could "an environmentalist IS environmentalism, nothing more and nothing less", be considered an extremist view? i was exemplifying the most true nature of an environmentalist. i made no claims of the degree of interest necessary.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
i wouldn't taken anyone's opinion into consideration who considers vegans, cyclists and environmentalists as "those types".

Will you stop picking apart everything I type? In case anyone got the wrong idea here, I wrote "those types", not as a derogatory term, but so that I didn't have to type out vegan, cyclist and environmentalist. Today I hung out with a lovely group of vegetarian, running environmentalists that practice yoga. I like all kinds of people. It doesn't matter what they eat, what they do, what they ride; as long as we have something in common and get along.
agreed, sorry for the confusion. reviewing only the text, "those types" seems to show evidence of your lack of understanding or involvement of the topic.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:31 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,714,119 times
To clear the air on my lack of understanding on environmental practices I'll tell everyone how I try and do my part. I'm certainly no environmental extremist yet (and by that I mean that there are some things I haven't ventured to try yet, like Ed Begley would ). We don't use pesticides on our plants, only natural things to divert insects (destructive ones). I compost. I recycle as much as possible (still could do a touch better). We also try and repurpose things. We incorporate as many edibles into our landscape as we can. We have solar screens on our windows and our next project is to reinsulate our house using environmentally sustainable insulation. We've seen some interesting kinds on This Old House on the Green Channel. We'd also like to end up with a rainwater collection system. If we weren't in an HOA, we'd have a windmill and well and if we can, also a solar power system. We've got a lot to do, one project at a time. I like to use environmentally friendly cleaners and some "homemade" ones as well, like baking soda and vinegar. This is great for my daughter because there are no heavy cleaner fumes to irritate her asthma.

Even though we have to use our car to go anywhere outside of Hutto, places here I can walk to...I do. We can walk to restaurants, dry cleaners, library, parks, school, etc... Our next car will be a hybrid. It's got to be an SUV or truck though because we tow a boat and my husband hauls things around for work. It's getting easier to ride a bike around here, but like others have said as well, Austin still needs lots of improvement on it's interconnecting trail systems. I got really spoiled being able to ride my bike all over Denver and not having to ride it on a public street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin