Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 09:08 AM

302 posts, read 690,797 times

Advertisements

Anyone else read this article?

The Workforce: Where Will the New Jobs Come From?

Read more:
Obama Jobs Bill, Economic Recovery: Creating Employment - TIME

Pretty much just talks about Austin and how versatile/flexible/robust our economy is.

Dang, but it made me feel good about living here!

I have to wonder how many hundreds/thousands more will now be looking towards Austin for relocation/jobs.

Last edited by JERiv; 03-19-2010 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 09:32 AM

680 posts, read 1,384,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERiv View Post
I have to wonder how many hundreds/thousands more will now be looking towards Austin for relocation/jobs.

A mixed blessing. We're already bursting at the seams.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:16 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,781,477 times
Is there some consortium around here paying or pushing these articles out into the press?

Old 03-19-2010, 09:18 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Is there some consortium around here paying or pushing these articles out into the press?
If so, why haven't they been hired by a bigger city like Dallas or Houston? They could sure use some better press. They should hire away these geniuses, surely they have enough money. Heck Detroit needs to hire them, stat.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:20 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
If so, why haven't they been hired by a bigger city like Dallas or Houston? They could sure use some better press. They should hire away these geniuses, surely they have enough money. Heck Detroit needs to hire them, stat.
I don't know about Dallas, but Houston doesn't seem to spend much money or effort on PR stuff (and this is pretty obvious, because most newbies generally seem surprised by how nice it is and how many amenities there are.)

Although, the other week there was a news program on talking about how horrible the economy is in Ohio, and it used Houston as the contrasting success-story city. Similar to this I guess.

I don't think anything could help Detroit right now.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:56 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,038,319 times
I think it is a combination of a few things...one, it is just hip to use Austin as an example of forward thinking cities. second, it IS a forward thinking city, and def sets trends, not least of it the fact that most future job growth will be in higher-tech areas, and services. Austin has, lastly, an entrepreneurial streak that makes it the poster child of any articles on post-industrial job creation in the US....

So, it is based on a mixture of hype and fact, which in many ways is the same thing.....

Old 03-26-2010, 08:40 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,781,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
I think it is a combination of a few things...one, it is just hip to use Austin as an example of forward thinking cities. second, it IS a forward thinking city, and def sets trends, not least of it the fact that most future job growth will be in higher-tech areas, and services. Austin has, lastly, an entrepreneurial streak that makes it the poster child of any articles on post-industrial job creation in the US....

So, it is based on a mixture of hype and fact, which in many ways is the same thing.....
It used to be forward thinking. It was environmentally conscious when very few places in the country were, it was the birthplace of public access tv which was a very noble idea that spread.
Now it seems conflicted to me frankly like theres a battle between the old ideas that made this town what it is and the new comers who want to ***** this place out to the highest bidder.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:35 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,038,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
It used to be forward thinking. It was environmentally conscious when very few places in the country were, it was the birthplace of public access tv which was a very noble idea that spread.
Now it seems conflicted to me frankly like theres a battle between the old ideas that made this town what it is and the new comers who want to ***** this place out to the highest bidder.
It's a national thing...Austin just gets caught up in national trends of corporatizing and such. It can only stay away from the same for so much and long, but will always fight it off when it comes down to it. We, as a nation, tend to hype and sell things, including cities. Austin just got caught up in the hoopla, and is a half-willing accomplice in the same. All in all, hype will NEVER ruin this metro. It may distort a bit, and focus where focus should NOT be(ubercool hangouts, trendy areas and such), but the soul of the metro will always be stronger, and the hype will drip right off.

PEOPLE make the Austin metro great, not articles or hype. We have the best. No "highest bidder' mentality will ever breach our collective positive and creative zeitgeist. It is NOT for sale. You can't put a price on a collective human spirit that exudes creativity, resilience, and intelligence, along with a conscience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: